In need of a bit if advise please.

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Jimbobuk1977

Sep 1, 2022
Shepperton
Hi, could someone give me some advise please?

I have an Abit AB9 Quad GT & an Intel Core 2 quad extreme qx9650, sitting in a box since I finally retired that system a few years back.
Would this make a decent home made NAS?

Branko

Mar 21, 2022
If you intend it to run 24/7, performance-wise yes...but only if you don't
have to pay electricity (or don't care)

Something like this would probably serve you better, if you don't intend to spend much

Last edited:

Jimbobuk1977

Sep 1, 2022
Shepperton
If you intend it to run 24/7, performance-wise yes...but only if you don't
have to pay electricity (or don't care)

Something like this would probably serve you better, if you don't intend to spend much

Lol, it could be on 24/7 as it would be holding my plex library, (not acting as the server though) & my general storage, but if it could be made to sleep unless it’s woke on lan, it would be off most of the time.

Essentially, at the moment my plex library, & a pair of just general storage drives are on my main rig, (Rog R5E10/i7-6850k) which itself is now a bit old, but still capable, & I can’t afford to replace it.
I intended to remove as much as possible from the main rig to make it run a bit smoother, (need to some how get my OC back to 4.4ghz, but that’s a different story)
My other option is a second R5E10 i have with a 5930k, which would essentially be a full pc, only used via Remote Desktop, so would be the storage & plex server.
I guess I know the answer already, but was hoping to use the old AB9 if I could & try to sell on the second r5e10 setup.
Thanks

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Do yourself a favor, get something that isn't 15 years old for your home server.

It being ABIT might fetch some good money though!

Silly Valley Serf

Jul 31, 2022
Silicon Valley
What chipset does the mobo use? I had a Core 2 Quad I used for my first NAS on a Gigabyte motherboard with the Intel P45 chipset. Every so often it would flip a bit during a disk operation. Since the storage was in a RAIDZ2 array, this was easily detected and fixed with regular parity scrubs.

So I would not recommend anything with a P45 chipset for NAS duty. And since the CPU will be idling a lot, you'd be better off with a more modern CPU that has a lower idle power draw.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
A sm x9scm-f, 32GB of unbuffered ecc DDR3, a v2 E3 chip and a cheap Raid/ HBA card is heading in the right direction :)