Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Easy way to test would be to disconnect the SATA drive and see if NVMe_P1 shows back up in the BIOS. I expect that it won't make any difference.
Yes, I did that last night and no changes.

These boards are just very finicky about what NVMe drives will work together (discussed in many of my earlier posts).
<snip>
I can see you are trying with a Samsung 970 Evo and a 970 Pro so you are probably hitting the same issue as me.
I totally forgot about that, I bet that'll be it. Edit: That fixed it right away without having to do anything else.

I remember seeing a post for a new BIOS with "improved NVMe support" but I haven't tried it.
Noted!

Maybe check if the bios update solves it?
Otherwise i would report this issue to changwang, since you bought strait from them! Which might get this problem solved?
Thanks gents, I'll hit it again after a coffee. It was late last night and I was running out of steam & ideas.

Last edited:

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
If you do the bios upgrade, let me know how it goes. I’ve hesitated because it’s not as simple as a normal motherboard.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
If you do the bios upgrade, let me know how it goes. I’ve hesitated because it’s not as simple as a normal motherboard.
You were correct, changing to a non-Samsung NVMe fixed it from not showing up. Thank you :)

As to the BIOS flash, I too am a bit hesitant as apart from the issue of "not running 2 Samsung SSD together" there is nothing wrong with the BIOS, but I'll have a look.

Reactions: cat2devnull

roarking

Aug 28, 2022
Does the Changwang BIOS support Serial Port Redirection? (= Display BIOS in terminal with serial cable)

(FMI01 N5105 N6005 JK 4L-V01)

Ipse

Aug 21, 2022
Happy to report that I got some time on my hands this weekend and made this little box my main router/ firewall.
This is a bare metal pfSense install, just to be clear.

I haven't got the fan yet, but even without it CPU temp stabilized around 40C with spikes to 70C when stressed for an hour with 8 workers hammering at it.
CPU load sits at 5-6% idle but I noticed that most of that is Suricata. Disabling it temporarily dropped CPU to 2% and temp to 38C with an ambient of 23C.
I don't even have devices that would individualy max out my 1.5Gbps/1Gbps WAN connection, but it's a future proof investment... plus there is no bottleneck when running 2 WiFi6 clients doing speed tests.... around 1.4 Gbps and CPU at 15% ( it's a PPPoE setup).

Let's see how it works, but one thing I learned the hard way was to use the devel package for pfblockerNG...it was a nightmare to setup the stable one. I am a novice, so I can only blame my lack of pfSense experience for that.

My current setup doesn't support VLANs to separate IoT devices traffic so I'll have to come up with individual routing rules to overcome that.

All in all, I started to understand why most people go for a "plug and pray" consumer solution (usually a WiFi mesh) and never spend this amount of time tinkering. I do enjoy it, so I chalk it off to a hobby. One that I suck at ;)

Sep 10, 2019
So basically so far Pfsense does not work with the i226 correct? This is highly unfortunate (especially since some person claiming he was from Netgate commented in a post that i226 support was done at same time as I225 support was developed by them for the BSD kernel)

Adrjl64

Jul 29, 2022
Thanks for that.
Would you please pass on how you did the update or a link that you followed?
Download the appropriate bios from: ChangWang website. I translated the website to English to make sure I got the correct one.

Follow directions as specified by the video shared on douyin.com (not the best instructional video but it provides enough information), the location of the video is referred to on the bios download page :

Please copy the flashing video tutorial to Douyin to open: 0:/ N5095/N5105/N6005 flashing BIOS tutorial; ➝➝wU7rZoVa4r8➝➝Click on ÐÒÙŸĭŅ search

Reactions: cat2devnull

Snk B

Jul 19, 2022
Thanks for that.
Would you please pass on how you did the update or a link that you followed?
Simplest method:
1- Download the latest version of Ventoy and "install" it on your USB stick.
2- Download the .iso file from Changwang website.
3- Enter the BIOS and boot from the ventoy pendrive (as if you were going to install an OS)
4- Inside Ventoy, select the .iso file of the changwang BIOS and press ENTER
5- Follow the steps (basically it is done automatically after entering the previous step)
6- When finished, just turn off the minipc, remove the pendrive and boot normally.

Last edited:

cat2devnull

Jun 30, 2022
Did a quick translation on the ChangWang website for people who are considering a BIOS upgrade.

Changwang N5105 V3 V4 version BIOS update program, please confirm the version before flashing before flashing.

2022/8/9 Repair
- Fixed some memory incompatibility issues.
- Optimize boot speed.
- Added Wake on LAN option, location Chipset->PCH-IO Configuration->Wake on LAN

2022/6/7 Repair
- Fixed some M.2 NVMe hard drives being recognized under the adapter board.
- Optimize CPU voltage, temperature control, power consumption, etc.
- Added BIOS buzzer switch option.
- Fix BIOS autoboot.

From what I have read online, it seems that the M.2 NVMe compatibility update from 2022/6/7 has not fixed the dual Samsung drive issue. Also there are reports that the new BIOS results in slightly higher power consumption (which might be able to be addressed by adjusting power levels for various C-states).
Has anyone successfully backed up the original BIOS (and the process) or know where it can be downloaded (just incase)?

Last edited:
Reactions: dazagrt

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
Got my Changwang N5105 V4 today:
  • M.2 adapter board was included (black PCB)
  • Case fan was included (70 or 80mm x 10mm)
  • Case seems better than the Topton with Changwang V2 Board
They declared the full value, so I had to pay taxes (almost 40 US --> 7.7% VAT + handling fee by the post).
Now let's see how it performs

Reactions: xShARkx

Mike9474593

Aug 5, 2022
So basically so far Pfsense does not work with the i226 correct? This is highly unfortunate (especially since some person claiming he was from Netgate commented in a post that i226 support was done at same time as I225 support was developed by them for the BSD kernel)
OPNsense 22.7 based on FreeBSD 13.1 did recognize the i226 and the interfaces could be configured. I did not test it, just started the live environment. But I think it will work, test will follow.

P.S. Sorry for doubleposting.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Simplest method:
1- Download the latest version of Ventoy and "install" it on your USB stick.
2- Download the .iso file from Changwang website.
3- Enter the BIOS and boot from the ventoy pendrive (as if you were going to install an OS)
4- Inside Ventoy, select the .iso file of the changwang BIOS and press ENTER
5- Follow the steps (basically it is done automatically after entering the previous step)
6- When finished, just turn off the minipc, remove the pendrive and boot normally.
The Ventoy method is so easy it's scary.

Sep 10, 2019
OPNsense 22.7 based on FreeBSD 13.1 did recognize the i226 and the interfaces could be configured. I did not test it, just started the live environment. But I think it will work, test will follow.

P.S. Sorry for doubleposting.
Thank you for taking time to test it! Looking forward to your report

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Got my Changwang N5105 V4 today:
  • M.2 adapter board was included (black PCB)
  • Case fan was included (70 or 80mm x 10mm)
  • Case seems better than the Topton with Changwang V2 Board
They declared the full value, so I had to pay taxes (almost 40 US --> 7.7% VAT + handling fee by the post).
Now let's see how it performs
If yours is straight from the factory, can you check your BIOS revision & date, please? I didn't write down mine but think I was already on JK4L-V104 9th /08/2022 before flashing.

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
If yours is straight from the factory, can you check your BIOS revision & date, please? I didn't write down mine but think I was already on JK4L-V104 9th /08/2022 before flashing.
You said that you've send a message to ChangWang about the double samsung nvme ssd issue, did they reply back yet? What was their answer?