Cisco C220 M4 - CIMC Firmware Flash Error

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
So first off, let me fully admit that I screwed up here! I was flashing the CIMC firmware on a new C220 M4 I picked up, without any UPS connected, and the power went out for 2 seconds, killing the server right in the middle of the firmware flash. Cisco seems to think that flashing a single firmware should take upwards of 2 hours, so that greatly increases your chances of encountering an issue - don't take chances and use a UPS!!

Since the power blip, I've been trying to flash the CIMC firmware (3.0.3f to 4.1.2k), but I continue to receive errors.

Flashing from the firmware ISO it takes FOREVER, but eventually gets to about 80% of the progress bar and fails with a 1902 error. Flashing within CIMC is much faster, only about 5 minutes, but it also gives an error that the flash failed. I've tried power cycling the server, holding power button for 30 seconds, and even tried flashing the 3.0.3f version again - all with no luck.

Reading online it sounds like there's some way that Cisco can correct this, likely with a NAND format, but I cannot find any mention of how to do this myself other than that it involves TFTP or something similar.

Anyone had any luck with fixing a firmware flash issue on these servers, or have some idea how to format the NAND?

Reactions: ColdCanuck

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
@Patrick is it possible to block "normal" users from starting threads in this section (STH Main Site Posts)?
Everytime somebody starts a thread here it get's posted in the rss feed too.

sth2100

Feb 22, 2022
Looks like I posted this in the wrong section. I'd move it if I could, but don't see an option. If a moderator could move this, would be appreciated.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
@Patrick is it possible to block "normal" users from starting threads in this section (STH Main Site Posts)?
Everytime somebody starts a thread here it get's posted in the rss feed too.
I still have not figured that out while allowing to not to cross post from the main site's RSS feed.