Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

oOflyeyesOo

Aug 17, 2022
Has anyone got pfsense/opnsense installed on a unit with a i226-v? Topton is wanting to just send me this version instead. But keep saying next week...

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Has anyone got pfsense/opnsense installed on a unit with a i226-v? Topton is wanting to just send me this version instead. But keep saying next week...
Mine is on its way, topton just send it yesterday! It took them 8 days to ship it.

PavanG

Aug 11, 2022
Hey Guys, also have a Top N6005 with i226-v (Bare Bones System) on the way. Plan to open and clean it up then apply my own thermal paste, add a Sabrent Rocket Heatsink to the M2 SSD and add a Noctua NF-A4 Fan for better cooling. Does anybody know if I should go with the 12v or 5v model fan?

My plan for this router will be:
  • Use VMware ESXi as the Hypervisor
  • Install Opensense for my home routing and Firewall security
  • Install Nextcloud VM
  • Install Pihole or Adguard Home
  • Maybe move Unifi Controller from previous mini PC
I currently have a mini pc with a J4125 with a single gigabit Nic running Truenas running my services in Jails but it overheats alot.

For this type of build and the above services running, how much RAM should be efficiently enough?

Vollans

Aug 10, 2022
If you’re connecting to the SATA power, you can do either 12v or 5v. The 5v seems to be plenty, it’s not like you’re needing to force a hurricane into it.

dums

Aug 14, 2022
Does anybody know if I should go with the 12v or 5v model fan?
Not sure about N6005, but N5105 v3 has dedicated fan connector. V3 moterboard pdf marks it as " 5V小4pin风扇供电插针 ", according to google translate it means "5V small 4pin fan power supply pin".

PavanG

Aug 11, 2022
Thank you for the replies guy. I will wait to see what the motherboard is like, but likely will be 5V.

So I believe 32GB is Max supported...

Last edited:

dums

Aug 14, 2022
I've just upgraded "fat" V3 to 2022-08-09 BIOS.

The good:
It didn't brick!
Finally I've been able to boot it in headless configuration (Centos 8 & OpenWRT tested).
Option to disable beep on boot.
Lots of other menu options (serial port menu, BT support menu etc).

The bad:
At least Centos still produces "ACPI BIOS Error (bug)" warnings on boot. Not sure if it has any impact on stability/performance.

The ugly:
With default BIOS settings idle systems temperature increased by ~5C (38C -> 43C). Possibly byproduct of different default BIOS settings (C states etc.).

Last edited:
Reactions: xShARkx

Marek77au

Jul 1, 2022
Brisbane
Has anyone tried using a 4G LTE MPCIe card in one of these?

I got sick of my HFC drop outs while working from home and wanted something to failover to.
Initially i had my CW-6000 V2 set up with proxmox and OPNsense but couldnt get the sierra wireless MC7700 (from Aliexpress) to work.
So i installed windows and tried to confirm if I could get the MC7700 working.

Spending many hours fixing a couple of driver issues, all are resolved except for one.
2022-08-19 16_33_09-Window.png
Being an amateur could this be the reason why I cannot get the modem working, or is the modem locked preventing network access?

I'm confused how Skylight connection manager shows -85db signal strength but no service.
1660892165849.png
I would love some advice if someone can offer some

Last edited:

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
@oneplane Check this new board out from Jetway IPC. It can be ordered already.

Jetway IPC MI05-0XK
Elkhart Lake J6412 fanless Thin-ITX
6 x i225
1 x SODIMM
1 x M.2 M key 2242 x2
1 x M.2 E key 2230
1 x M.2 B key 3042 (cellular card)
1 x SATA

As shown by small aluminum heatsink, with good thermal design it shouldn’t be too hard to cool 10W. Looking at the heatsink mounting holes on the backside of the board though, it appears the heatsink is using a non-standard mounting pattern. This is to be expected with embedded motherboards, but a bit of a shame if a HSF needed to be used. Most Thin-ITX chassis do not account for fan mounts at all.
Pretty nice. Makes sense for them to get the J-part (Elkhart Lake) considering it is more 'targeted' to embedded usage vs. generic "mobile" usage. Oddly enough it has double the memory lanes but still only one DIMM slot :( That said, with a few low-power CPU cores, having a ton of high speed memory probably doesn't make much sense anyway. It is interesting to see that the embedded versions come with better GPUs, even if those are generally not used a whole lot. I'm still trying to get that IEI WAFER board, I know that it doesn't make much sense but it seems like such a fun board :D

Reactions: ReturnedSword

Vollans

Aug 10, 2022
Mine left SG airport for its last stop at AU on the 17th of August - Not long now :)
Ha ha ha! Don’t hold your breath. Mine left SG on a Friday, landed in Melbourne on Saturday, and then took over a week to get from Melbourne to Adelaide DHL Express.

Reactions: dazagrt

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
Ha ha ha! Don’t hold your breath. Mine left SG on a Friday, landed in Melbourne on Saturday, and then took over a week to get from Melbourne to Adelaide DHL Express.
Yeah, that's pretty normal I think. Mine has gone MIA since SG, but it'll pop up, but as you say I'm not holding my breath.

Reactions: DanielN and Vollans

Kaccatu

Jul 17, 2022
Since I'm thinking about full size 3.5 inch HDDs, putting one inside mini PC case is out of question (it wouldn't fit physically). I plan to design and 3D print "lower deck" HDD enclosure and have mini PC sit on it (with some screws holding them together). SATA cables would be routed through punch-out hole that was specifically designed for this purpose. Airflow-wise for mini PC it would be the same as sitting on any other flat surface (I don't expect HDD cage to run hot).
Also I don't expect it to look good :)
I can see that you are wanting to not having to spend money on a low powered NAS box on its own. You want to use this fanless PC to run as a NAS by attaching hard drives to it. In theory, you can have a 3.5" HD enclosure with 8TB on it and attach it to this PC. But in my experience with 3.5" HD enclosure, it needs its own power adapter as well as having quite abit of noise due to the fan of the enclosure and the spinning disk. If you don't need much as storage space then the large 2nd nvme drive (2TB for example) would be the perfect solution. If you need to have a few disk drives, I would go with having a dedicated NAS box on its own and attach it to your network or to the fanless PC. If you don't care about noise and messy look, you would have more options for sure.

oneplane

Jul 23, 2021
I can see that you are wanting to not having to spend money on a low powered NAS box on its own. You want to use this fanless PC to run as a NAS by attaching hard drives to it. In theory, you can have a 3.5" HD enclosure with 8TB on it and attach it to this PC. But in my experience with 3.5" HD enclosure, it needs its own power adapter as well as having quite abit of noise due to the fan of the enclosure and the spinning disk. If you don't need much as storage space then the large 2nd nvme drive (2TB for example) would be the perfect solution. If you need to have a few disk drives, I would go with having a dedicated NAS box on its own and attach it to your network or to the fanless PC. If you don't care about noise and messy look, you would have more options for sure.
He might actually be using classic SATA connections here.