How do I get Hyper-V to recognize my USB device?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Xarzu

May 19, 2022
I first looked at tutorials on youtube and there was nothing specifically addressing this question. How do I get Hyper-V to recognize my USB device?

My Windows 10 OS recognizes it when I plug it in:

Even powershell, by the way, using an Android Debugging Bridge command recognizes the device:

But the information I could find online about having Hyper-v recognzie the devise were generally about a USB hard drive or about a thumb drive and/or they showed menu settings that did not correspond to my version of Hyper-V (Version: 10.0.19041.1). So I figured I would take to the web forums and ask.

This should be an easy thing to answer, I assume.

JSchuricht

Apr 4, 2011
It is an easy thing to answer. Hyper V doesn't natively support USB device pass through. There are some 3rd party apps that add usb support I have read about in passing but haven't played with any of them.

Xarzu

May 19, 2022
It is an easy thing to answer. Hyper V doesn't natively support USB device pass through. There are some 3rd party apps that add usb support I have read about in passing but haven't played with any of them.
Does this mean that the virtual machine that is hosted on Hyper-V won't be able to use a USB drive? Deod it mean I should be looking at the virtual machine (Ubuntu) operating system and see from there if it can recognize the USB drive?

Mixxy Matosis

Aug 22, 2022
Does this mean that the virtual machine that is hosted on Hyper-V won't be able to use a USB drive? Deod it mean I should be looking at the virtual machine (Ubuntu) operating system and see from there if it can recognize the USB drive?
It all really depends on what you are wanting to achieve with the VM itself.

How Many VM's are you planning to run? Is running VM's just a bit of fun?

Sometimes just going back to a second bare metal computer may be the best solution, or you may have to look more into solutions like Proxmox etc.

Proxmox does allow passthru of many devices to the VM including USB and many others. But remember that some things that get passed thru to a VM may not be available to the host or any other VM on the system, They are locked to that VM only.

edge

Apr 22, 2013
USB drives on hyper-v hosts will not be recognized by VMs. MS' position is usb devices impair live migration and VM failover as the USB device ties you to a specific computer.

If you RDP into a VM, you can share your local usb devices with the vm.