[WTB] HP Z620 side panel key

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
OK, so this one is a little weird.

I have inherited a lab full of these boxes, and can't get inside because the side panel comes with an integrated cylindrical key lock. According to various sources around the Internet, all these locks use the same key. As a matter of fact, every Z6xx is the same.

Each one of these machines came with two keys, and I have no idea how there isn't one still around, but people have left, and my case full of keys doesn't have the right one.

So, if you have a spare key for these boxes, I'd appreciate it.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Strange that HP doesn't have a specific part number for the key, but part numbers 641498-001 or 683769-001 might come with the key you need. But it might be cheaper to just have a locksmith make you one unless someone here has a spare. I'm curious if my z600 key would fit since the door looks almost identical. It wouldn't surprise me as it seem the solenoid part number (the first one) also works for other HP models.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
HP doesn't have a specific part number for the key because it's not in much demand, seeing as you get two with each machine.

I will likely end up going with a locksmith, but I figured if anybody had a spare (which I could even borrow, as after you unlock, it stays unlocked, but still latched), it would be among this group of people.

BLinux

cat lover server enthusiast
Jul 7, 2016
artofserver.com
I have a spare Z800 chassis with keys and I just tried those keys with a Z820 and Z840 and they didn't work. So, it's possible the different models used different keys. Otherwise, I was going to offer to lend the the Z800 keys to you.

Reactions: Samir and nabsltd

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
HP doesn't have a specific part number for the key because it's not in much demand, seeing as you get two with each machine.

I will likely end up going with a locksmith, but I figured if anybody had a spare (which I could even borrow, as after you unlock, it stays unlocked, but still latched), it would be among this group of people.
Now I'm even more curious if my z600 key works because I wouldn't mind lending it to your since I have two. I'm just no where near them right now though.

cesmith9999

Mar 26, 2013
Those keys should be easy to pick. a few cheap tools and no keys necessary

Most Racks are only with 5 different keys

The locks should be basic.

Chris

A-W-A

May 14, 2022
If they are the ones with the hollow circular key then I remember that in days of old you used to be able to open them with the non-writing end of a BIC-biro pen - maybe by the time of the new fangled HP-Z620 they had got round to updating security

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
My guess is that they're still pretty basic. I can't remember exactly what my z600 key looks like, but I don't think it had the same security as the keys for our old coke machines that used a round key like that.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
I have a spare Z800 chassis with keys and I just tried those keys with a Z820 and Z840 and they didn't work. So, it's possible the different models used different keys. Otherwise, I was going to offer to lend the the Z800 keys to you.
It appears the Z6xx line and before uses the same keys, but I think HP wised up in later models.

nabsltd

Jan 26, 2022
Those keys should be easy to pick
True, but having a key would allow anyone to both open and then re-lock. There were some 4-wheel Master padlocks used to lock down machines, and I could bypass them, but they needed to be able to be re-used by anyone, so instead I decoded without tools. That generation of locks gave a fairly audible "click" when you rolled the number to the correct one.