Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

xShARkx

Jun 12, 2022
Which unit is that one from? A Topton one?
Its better to refer it as the V3 version, since this board which is manufactured by changwang is being sold by several different stores including topton ofc.

Its the board being used in these units:

Fat chassis -> 194.31US $ 37% OFF|2.5g Soft Mini Router Celeron N5105 Quad Core 2*ddr4 Nvme Ssd 4 Intel I225 Nics Hdmi2.0 Dp Type-c Pfsense Firewall Router Pc - Barebone & Mini Pc - AliExpress
Slim chassis -> 160.38US $ 48% OFF|Fanless Mini PC 4 Intel i225 2.5Gb LAN TPM2.0 Switch Celeron N5105 Soft Router Server ESXI Rugged pfSense Firewall Appliance|Mini PC| - AliExpress

Its the same board but with different chassis.

Its pretty easy to identify which ad is selling the v3, just look at the picture of the thumbnail of the ad, in other words, if the picture shows a unit like this:

With the above /\ front panel, then its the v3 board version from changwang.

Another way to tell is that every ad page of these x86 routers which has the following image stating the 10 upgrades:

Is the v3 board version from changwang.

Reactions: Markess and dazagrt

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021

Fat chassis -> 194.31US $ 37% OFF|2.5g Soft Mini Router Celeron N5105 Quad Core 2*ddr4 Nvme Ssd 4 Intel I225 Nics Hdmi2.0 Dp Type-c Pfsense Firewall Router Pc - Barebone & Mini Pc - AliExpress
Slim chassis -> 160.38US $ 48% OFF|Fanless Mini PC 4 Intel i225 2.5Gb LAN TPM2.0 Switch Celeron N5105 Soft Router Server ESXI Rugged pfSense Firewall Appliance|Mini PC| - AliExpress

Its pretty easy to identify which ad is selling the v3, just look at the picture of the thumbnail of the ad, in other words, if the picture shows a unit like this:
Thanks Shark, that's what I was looking for.

gregg098

Jun 7, 2019
Has anyone who had issues virtualizing pfSense or OPNsense gone to a bare metal install instead? Was your experience the same?
My N6005 unit running Proxmox with OPNsense ran great for about 5 days (finally), shut it down to move it, started back up with no changes and now it (OPNsense VM) dies twice a day. The Proxmox host itself is still reachable and I just have to reset the VM to restart it, but this isn't very convenient if I'm not home. So I moved the VM to another machine temporarily to ensure better uptime. Thought about trying bare metal, but not sure if its worth the effort at this point. I think I'm ready to just sell it at a loss and move on.

Just for reference, I have two other machines that I can run this same OPNsense VM on for extended periods of time with no issues. They all have the same bridge setup so its really easy to migrate it over, theyre just tasked with other things so I really dont want them to also be my firewall. I just dont understand what's different about this machine.

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
Alright, moment of truth:
  • I reset the BIOS settings to default
  • I disabled C-States in the BIOS (this is the default setting and was also disabled before today)
  • I disabled Intel ME in the BIOS (was enabled by default)
  • I disabled Powerd in pfSense
  • I updated proxmox incl dist-upgrade
  • Temperatures have not been a problem, as I have a 120mm fan on the chassis, so everything is below 50 degrees Celcius.
what parameter in the bios handles the Intel ME enable/disable? i could not find it :\

Amazing2

Jul 12, 2022
It's the v3 model .
So know for anyone own it can you confirm is the fan header 12V or as the pdf says 5V ?
I used the SATA power connector for the fan (12v).
Less trouble then finding the right connector for the fan header.

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
what parameter in the bios handles the Intel ME enable/disable? i could not find it :\
I would need to shut my router down to look at it in the BIOS by connecting it to a screen to check where it is exactly in the structure. For me it was called "Intel ME".

beagle

Aug 9, 2022
I puchased this. Only glitch is no Bios power on after power loss.

no oem_set bios menu. Anyone have an updated bios with this feature. critical for a router.

Its better to refer it as the V3 version, since this board which is manufactured by changwang is being sold by several different stores including topton ofc.

With the above /\ front panel, then its the v3 board version from changwang.

Another way to tell is that every ad page of these x86 routers which has the following image stating the 10 upgrades:

Is the v3 board version from changwang.

phantom

Aug 8, 2022
Hi, I bought CW-N11 with N6005 install Proxmox VE and try to test it if it works correctly. The first read of CPU temperature was around 40oC a few minutes after starting the system (in idle), after a few minutes later it was around 50oC. Something about an hour after the device was turned on I read 61oC and it still increases.
When I enable C-State in BIOS temperature (in idle) stays around 48oC but the device starts to make some weird sounds (like some switching relays) and it is not a sound of my heart so I decide to change the thermal paste on CPU and check if this unit has similar problems as described by many users.
There was a lot of paste in between CPU and heatsink. I cleared everything and check if there is not too much space between these two elements - and unfortunately, there was :( about 2-3 mm.

Do you know what I can do with this problem? I'm thinking about sanding a spacer but it will be hard to send it evenly. My second idea is to buy or create a new heatsink especially because the current is scratched and does not have so clear surface.

Attachments

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
There are some small copper pads/heatsinks with different thicknesses of 1-2mm and different sizes on ebay.

Reactions: dazagrt

D73G47D

Aug 9, 2022
Playing with one of the WooYi N5105 units it idles at 65c with 0-5% load, 80c with 70-80% load, 100% load 105c/thermal limit. The heatsink is maybe a tiny bit separated but I think that transfer from the cpu to the case/cooler is okay since the case reaches a temperature that is painful to the touch (putting this 45c+ as a guess). Behaves about the same before and after repasting the heatsink which did have an excessive amount of paste. Ambient temps between 21-37c, haven't charted this though.

Is underclocking these or adding a fan the only real solution atm? Or potentially is this a bad unit?

Last edited: