Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

jbrukardt

Feb 4, 2016
Is there something weird about the POE on Brocade switches? Grabbed a 6450-48P and it wont seem to deliver power to any of my POE splitters that I used to power things throughout the house. The straight POE items work fine (unifi APs, Amcrest Cameras), but the switch wont seem to negotiate with the splitter.

This is the splitter in question: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNKX14C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used it for years with my Avaya 4548gt-PWR to power low-power USB devices (way way sub 2.4A stuff). Never had an issue

The brocade wont recognize it at all, wont even negotiate with it. Im wondering if its because i dont use the data link portion?

heres my "show inline power"

Should be showing up on port 41 (although ive tried it on many different ports, same result), but just no registration at all.

Also... you'll note i turned POE off on port 24.... because it was detected the standard ethernet port of a motherboard as a 802.11af device and sending 400mw to it... not cool.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Is there something weird about the POE on Brocade switches? Grabbed a 6450-48P and it wont seem to deliver power to any of my POE splitters that I used to power things throughout the house. The straight POE items work fine (unifi APs, Amcrest Cameras), but the switch wont seem to negotiate with the splitter.

This is the splitter in question: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CNKX14C/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Used it for years with my Avaya 4548gt-PWR to power low-power USB devices (way way sub 2.4A stuff). Never had an issue

The brocade wont recognize it at all, wont even negotiate with it. Im wondering if its because i dont use the data link portion?

heres my "show inline power"

Should be showing up on port 41 (although ive tried it on many different ports, same result), but just no registration at all.

Also... you'll note i turned POE off on port 24.... because it was detected the standard ethernet port of a motherboard as a 802.11af device and sending 400mw to it... not cool.
if it negotiated 11af ethernet on a non-PoE device, among other things, the poe board might be bad

daleq

Mar 11, 2015
Many thanks @fohdeesha for all that you've done to help others configure/maintain these switches. This is an amazing gift!

Like @sdyoung, I have a switch (ICX 6450-48P) with an old bootloader. I followed Fohdeesha's advice to work-around this initial hiccup.

Then, using pointers from @sdyoung and @Lone Wolf, I was able to get access to the web GUI using the following;
Code:
>enable
#configure terminal
(config)#ip address 10.1.1.3/24
(config)#username root password MyRootPassword
(config)#username dale privilege 0 password MyPassword
(config)#aaa authentication login default enable local
(config)#aaa authentication web-server default local
(config)#write memory
(I created the non-root user because I could not get 'root' to login on the Web GUI)
Then, rebooting the switch by unplugging and plugging back in.

My understanding from Lone Wolf's post is that I need to update the primary image via the Web GUI.
I successfully
- logged into the Web GUI as the 'dale' user
- scrolled down the left-menu to TFTP configuration
- set TFTP Server: 10.1.1.2 (my computer with TFTPd64 running)
- set Configuration File Name: ICX64xx/ICX64R08030u.bin (from Fohdeesha's instructions)

I have also temporarily disabled my Win10 firewall.

When I click 'Copy from Server to Flash' button in Web GUI, I'm seeing
- the progress bar start on the web gui
- tftpd64 shows bits being transferred for about 5 seconds (500,000-ish bytes)

Then I get an error on the page

This error shows in the console too
Code:
ICX6450-48P Switch#!!! Flash Task Got unblocked without cause, fd 13, ffp
stack: 015aacc0 015a626c 01777e34

TFTP out of buffer space error.
I don't know if the problem is with TFTPD64 on my windows box or with the config on the switch. Or, maybe I need to figure out why I can't login as root on Web Gui. Any suggestions to troubleshoot and resolve?

Many many thanks to Fohdeesha and all who have contributed on this thread to get me this far. I greatly appreciate it.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Many thanks @fohdeesha for all that you've done to help others configure/maintain these switches. This is an amazing gift!

Like @sdyoung, I have a switch (ICX 6450-48P) with an old bootloader. I followed Fohdeesha's advice to work-around this initial hiccup.

Then, using pointers from @sdyoung and @Lone Wolf, I was able to get access to the web GUI using the following;
Code:
>enable
#configure terminal
(config)#ip address 10.1.1.3/24
(config)#username root password MyRootPassword
(config)#username dale privilege 0 password MyPassword
(config)#aaa authentication login default enable local
(config)#aaa authentication web-server default local
(config)#write memory
(I created the non-root user because I could not get 'root' to login on the Web GUI)
Then, rebooting the switch by unplugging and plugging back in.

My understanding from Lone Wolf's post is that I need to update the primary image via the Web GUI.
I successfully
- logged into the Web GUI as the 'dale' user
- scrolled down the left-menu to TFTP configuration
- set TFTP Server: 10.1.1.2 (my computer with TFTPd64 running)
- set Configuration File Name: ICX64xx/ICX64R08030u.bin (from Fohdeesha's instructions)

I have also temporarily disabled my Win10 firewall.

When I click 'Copy from Server to Flash' button in Web GUI, I'm seeing
- the progress bar start on the web gui
- tftpd64 shows bits being transferred for about 5 seconds (500,000-ish bytes)

Then I get an error on the page

This error shows in the console too
Code:
ICX6450-48P Switch#!!! Flash Task Got unblocked without cause, fd 13, ffp
stack: 015aacc0 015a626c 01777e34

TFTP out of buffer space error.
I don't know if the problem is with TFTPD64 on my windows box or with the config on the switch. Or, maybe I need to figure out why I can't login as root on Web Gui. Any suggestions to troubleshoot and resolve?

Many many thanks to Fohdeesha and all who have contributed on this thread to get me this far. I greatly appreciate it.
glad to help - is there any reason you didn't continue following the guide and instead started trying to boot into the included L2 only firmware and use the web UI? the web UI is super buggy and I would not attempt firmware upgrades from it, especially with tftp file paths including slashes. I would go back and follow the guide from the beginning, I've also added a sub-note right in the guide on how to fix the old bootloader/missing factory command issue: ICX6450 - Fohdeesha Docs

Reactions: Jason Antes

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
glad to help - is there any reason you didn't continue following the guide and instead started trying to boot into the included L2 only firmware and use the web UI? the web UI is super buggy and I would not attempt firmware upgrades from it, especially with tftp file paths including slashes. I would go back and follow the guide from the beginning, I've also added a sub-note right in the guide on how to fix the old bootloader/missing factory command issue: ICX6450 - Fohdeesha Docs
I checked out the updated guide and I am assuming you are referring to the sub-note " If you get "factory set-default is not a valid command" ". If so, that won't work on an older firmware, or at least it wouldn't work on mine that had a v7 firmware. Your sub-note assumes we can update the uboot through the cli, which in my case I couldn't. I was unable to update the primary, secondary or uboot through cli. I HAD to go into the webui and update the Primary. Once I did that and rebooted I was able to follow your guide exactly. If daleq has an older v7 firmware and bootloader like I did, he will be unable to update the uboot like me, leaving the webui the only option that I know of.

If the webui is having problems with the slash in the path, could daleq move ICX64R08030u.bin up a folder so that it's not in a sub-folder and then just specify the file name directly?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I checked out the updated guide and I am assuming you are referring to the sub-note " If you get "factory set-default is not a valid command" ". If so, that won't work on an older firmware, or at least it wouldn't work on mine that had a v7 firmware. Your sub-note assumes we can update the uboot through the cli, which in my case I couldn't. I was unable to update the primary, secondary or uboot through cli. I HAD to go into the webui and update the Primary. Once I did that and rebooted I was able to follow your guide exactly. If daleq has an older v7 firmware and bootloader like I did, he will be unable to update the uboot like me, leaving the webui the only option that I know of.

If the webui is having problems with the slash in the path, could daleq move ICX64R08030u.bin up a folder so that it's not in a sub-folder and then just specify the file name directly?
Woah, there's 6450 bootloaders that don't even have update_uboot? I've never seen those, I wonder if I can try to dig one out of old v7 zips and test here. do you happen to remember the version of that bootloader? v7 would have been the OS firmware train, not bootloader

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
OK, the oldest fastiron release I could find that supports the ICX64xx is 7.4, which has kxz07401 for the bootloader, and it has both update_uboot and update_primary - are you sure you didn't have one of those weird dev bootloaders? did this switch have a black and white QR code sticker on it by chance

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
OK yeah going back through your original post you definitely had some pre-production/unreleased bootloader not based on u-boot, as you said the "setenv" commands wouldn't even take - if it was the production u-boot loader (even the oldest one they've published), setenv would have worked at a minimum as that's baked into the base u-boot code

Reactions: Lone Wolf

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
OK yeah going back through your original post you definitely had some pre-production/unreleased bootloader not based on u-boot, as you said the "setenv" commands wouldn't even take - if it was the production u-boot loader (even the oldest one they've published), setenv would have worked at a minimum as that's baked into the base u-boot code
Ahh okay. I got the switch at the beginning of the year, and I don't know what version of the firmware and bootloader it came with, other than that the firmware was v7.something. I don't have a black and white QR code sticker on it, but that doesn't mean it wasn't removed at some point in the past.

As you saw in my post I was unable to update primary, secondary or uboot through cli. I was able to update the primary through the webui tho, at which point I could follow your guide and successfully update everything through the cli. I wonder if daleq is having this issue as well? If he can update his uboot through the cli then he should be golden, if he can't then going through the webui to update the primary might be his only option.

Reactions: fohdeesha

kimbo

Jun 15, 2022
I have two 6450s connected via Brocade branded SFP+ modules. Can I use optical monitoring to check signal strength?

daleq

Mar 11, 2015
Thanks @fohdeesha and @Lone Wolf.

I apologize, but I won't be able to investigate further until Monday.

FYI - Here is a photo showing a sticker on the back of the units. This is in addition to the silver sticker with the regulatory marks.
IMG_4749.jpg

And, here is what I see on the console during boot.

Bootloader Version: 07.4.01T310 (Jun 29 2012 - 11:04:25)
Model ID: 1.0.0.1.1.0
SW: Version 07.4.00bT311
Boot-Monitor Image: Version:07.4.01T310 (kxz07401)

Code:

Enter 'b' to stop at boot monitor:  0
bootdelay: ===
Booting image from Primary
## Booting image at 00007fc0 ...
   Created:      2012-10-03  15:43:34 UTC
   Data Size:    10371200 Bytes =  9.9 MB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel in BE mode ...
Uncompressing Image <snip> done, booting the kernel.
Config partition mounted.
*** Crash dump information is available, please collect it using "supportsave" C            LI ***
Starting the FastIron.
OS>Starting Main Task .CPSS DxCh Version: cpss3.4p1 release
        mem_size = 6400 mem_size = 6400Pre Parsing Config Data ...

Parsing Config Data ...
Invalid input -> LINX, LINX
Type ? for a list

Copyright (c) 1996-2012 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All rights reserv                               ed.
    UNIT 1: compiled on Oct  3 2012 at 08:42:29 labeled as ICX64S07400b
                (10371776 bytes) from Primary ICX64S07400b.bin
  Boot-Monitor Image size = 776680, Version:07.4.01T310 (kxz07401)
  HW: Stackable ICX6450-48-HPOE
==========================================================================
UNIT 1: SL 1: ICX6450-48p POE 48-port Management Module
         Serial  #: BZT3233K04Y
         License: BASE_SOFT_PACKAGE   (LID: dbvIHIImFJa)
         P-ENGINE  0: type DEF0, rev 01
         P-ENGINE  1: type DEF0, rev 01
UNIT 1: SL 2: ICX6450-SFP-Plus 4port 40G Module
  800 MHz ARM processor ARMv5TE, 400 MHz bus
65536 KB flash memory
  512 MB DRAM
STACKID 1  system uptime is 16 seconds
The system : started=cold start

..PoD: No license present for port 1/2/2
..PoD: No license present for port 1/2/4
ICX6450-48P Switch>
Stack unit 1 PS 1, Internal Power supply detected and up.
PoE: Stack unit 1 Power supply 1 with 740000 mwatts capacity is up
PoE Info: Adding new 54V capacity of 740000 mW, total capacity is 740000, total                                free capacity is 740000
PoE Info: PoE module detected. Initializing....
PoE Info: PoE module 1 of Unit 1 initialization is done.
Unless someone suggests otherwise, I'll plan to move the .bin file up a directory and try to flash the primary with the web gui.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Thanks @fohdeesha and @Lone Wolf.

I apologize, but I won't be able to investigate further until Monday.

FYI - Here is a photo showing a sticker on the back of the units. This is in addition to the silver sticker with the regulatory marks.
View attachment 23843

And, here is what I see on the console during boot.

Boot-Monitor Image: Version:07.4.01T310 (kxz07401)

Code:

Enter 'b' to stop at boot monitor:  0
bootdelay: ===
Booting image from Primary
## Booting image at 00007fc0 ...
   Created:      2012-10-03  15:43:34 UTC
   Data Size:    10371200 Bytes =  9.9 MB
   Load Address: 00008000
   Entry Point:  00008000
   Verifying Checksum ... OK
OK

Starting kernel in BE mode ...
Uncompressing Image <snip> done, booting the kernel.
Config partition mounted.
*** Crash dump information is available, please collect it using "supportsave" C            LI ***
Starting the FastIron.
OS>Starting Main Task .CPSS DxCh Version: cpss3.4p1 release
        mem_size = 6400 mem_size = 6400Pre Parsing Config Data ...

Parsing Config Data ...
Invalid input -> LINX, LINX
Type ? for a list

Copyright (c) 1996-2012 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All rights reserv                               ed.
    UNIT 1: compiled on Oct  3 2012 at 08:42:29 labeled as ICX64S07400b
                (10371776 bytes) from Primary ICX64S07400b.bin
  Boot-Monitor Image size = 776680, Version:07.4.01T310 (kxz07401)
  HW: Stackable ICX6450-48-HPOE
UNIT 1: SL 1: ICX6450-48p POE 48-port Management Module
         Serial  #: BZT3233K04Y
         License: BASE_SOFT_PACKAGE   (LID: dbvIHIImFJa)
         P-ENGINE  0: type DEF0, rev 01
         P-ENGINE  1: type DEF0, rev 01
UNIT 1: SL 2: ICX6450-SFP-Plus 4port 40G Module
  800 MHz ARM processor ARMv5TE, 400 MHz bus
65536 KB flash memory
  512 MB DRAM
STACKID 1  system uptime is 16 seconds
The system : started=cold start

..PoD: No license present for port 1/2/2
..PoD: No license present for port 1/2/4
ICX6450-48P Switch>
Stack unit 1 PS 1, Internal Power supply detected and up.
PoE: Stack unit 1 Power supply 1 with 740000 mwatts capacity is up
PoE Info: Adding new 54V capacity of 740000 mW, total capacity is 740000, total                                free capacity is 740000
PoE Info: PoE module detected. Initializing....
PoE Info: PoE module 1 of Unit 1 initialization is done.
Unless someone suggests otherwise, I'll plan to move the .bin file up a directory and try to flash the primary with the web gui.
yeah you have the standard (but old) bootloader, I highly recommend following the actual guide, it's been adjusted to account for these older loaders: ICX6450 - Fohdeesha Docs

daleq

Mar 11, 2015
glad to help - is there any reason you didn't continue following the guide and instead started trying to boot into the included L2 only firmware and use the web UI? <snip>. I would go back and follow the guide from the beginning, I've also added a sub-note right in the guide on how to fix the old bootloader/missing factory command issue: ICX6450 - Fohdeesha Docs
<snip> I highly recommend following the actual guide, it's been adjusted to account for these older loaders: ICX6450 - Fohdeesha Docs
Thanks @fohdeesha.

Eventually I caught on and followed the fine documentation. :) Of course it worked perfectly. Thanks!
I've finished the config/upgrade guide and will proceed with the advanced configuration tomorrow.

One small suggestion, my error text for the factory command was
Code:
ICX64XX-boot>> factory set-default
Unknown command 'factory' - try 'help'
So, perhaps change
- From: If you get "factory set-default is not a valid command"
- - - To: If you get "Unknown command 'factory'"

Again, thank you so much for your contribution here. I have appreciated it greatly.

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
Based on the icx6450 documentation, without the external psu it only has 24 poe+ capable ports and 48 poe capable ports. Does that mean what it says it means? Only 24 ports can be used as poe+ even if the power budget is not exceeded?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Thanks @fohdeesha.

Eventually I caught on and followed the fine documentation. :) Of course it worked perfectly. Thanks!
I've finished the config/upgrade guide and will proceed with the advanced configuration tomorrow.

Code:
So, perhaps change

Again, thank you so much for your contribution here. I have appreciated it greatly.
Thanks @fohdeesha.

Code:
So, perhaps change

Thanks for the error text! I was wondering what it was exactly, didn't have a switch here to test with that old of bootloader. fixed on the guide: fix factory set default error · Fohdeesha/lab-docu@47a5f4a

Reactions: itronin and daleq