Topton Jasper Lake Quad i225V Mini PC Report

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

dazagrt

Mar 1, 2021
so i finished my design and printed it, fits a 80x80x10 mm fan (i got myself a 5v one), the air vents are the same as stock, fits the stock screws plus 4 heatsunk insert to fix the fan and 2 extra m3 nuts to eventually mount the unit on the wall or something.

obviously no vesa mount possibile, can be printed in whatever material (i printed in abs) without any support just as it is.. on the other externa facing side there are 4 slots to place the original rubber feets.

View attachment 23818

View attachment 23819

a 10mm fan clears every internal component, probably a 15mm also but not sure, temps are "fine" and the enclosure is nice and fresh.
inside the zip is the stl to slice it, as said no supports needed, 10-20% infill is more than enough.
I'll put some Black filament on my Xmas list for you! ;)
Beautiful job on that bit of work. It looks like the same case as the one I bought. What do you think of printing an outside edge rim to space the whole plate away from the case edge to allow more room inside?
I've got some 15mm 2.5" drives I'd like to mount in there.
Spacing it away with a thicker internal edge wouldn't wreck the appeal of the form factor because the footprint would stay the same.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

dlsnet

Aug 5, 2022
Got my unit in 'slim' body couple of days ago (MB from Techvision, i guess this is revision 2). My observations:

1. Out of the box the unit was running about 90ºC. There was visible gap between CPU and thermo pad and not enough thermal paste to even touch CPU. After I added additional pad and replaced paste, it was running between 60-70ºC. Adding external 12 inch cooler reduced temperature to 35-40ºC. So, this issue is annoying, but can be resolved easily. I didn't change default BIOS settings.

2. I run pfsense barebones. Interfaces randomly go up and down. Not sure what is the reason. But this pretty much makes the unit useless as a router.

skimikes

Jun 27, 2022
Got my unit in 'slim' body couple of days ago (MB from Techvision, i guess this is revision 2). My observations:

1. Out of the box the unit was running about 90ºC. There was visible gap between CPU and thermo pad and not enough thermal paste to even touch CPU. After I added additional pad and replaced paste, it was running between 60-70ºC. Adding external 12 inch cooler reduced temperature to 35-40ºC. So, this issue is annoying, but can be resolved easily. I didn't change default BIOS settings.

2. I run pfsense barebones. Interfaces randomly go up and down. Not sure what is the reason. But this pretty much makes the unit useless as a router.
What is the output of
Code:
pciconf -lv|grep -A1 -B3 network
What version of pfsense are you running? Are you on 22.05-RELEASE? Older versions of pfsense did not do well with I225 NICs. I believe the latest version of pfsense CE and pfsense+ are both fine with I225 v3 NICs.

Is it just your WAN interface that goes down or does LAN go down as well? What kind of switch are you connected to? I do recall having an issue with older 1gig switches where the interface would periodically drop. I've had no issues with multi-gig switches like the MS510TX but had some issues with older Trendnet and TP-Link switches.

dlsnet

Aug 5, 2022
What is the output of
igc0@pci0:2:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x00008086 chip=0x15f38086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
vendor = 'Intel Corporation'
device = 'Intel(R) Ethernet Controller I225-V'
class = network
subclass = ethernet
igc1@pci0:3:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x00008086 chip=0x15f38086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
class = network
subclass = ethernet
igc2@pci0:4:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x00008086 chip=0x15f38086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
class = network
subclass = ethernet
igc3@pci0:5:0:0: class=0x020000 card=0x00008086 chip=0x15f38086 rev=0x03 hdr=0x00
class = network
subclass = ethernet

What version of pfsense are you running? Are you on 22.05-RELEASE? Older versions of pfsense did not do well with I225 NICs. I believe the latest version of pfsense CE and pfsense+ are both fine with I225 v3 NICs.
I run 2.6.0-RELEASE. Funny fact about 22.05 - on the same config file it utilizes about 30% of CPU on my box. At the same time, 2.6.0 uses only 2%. So I downgraded to community edition. freeBSD is not exactly my cup of tea, so not sure how to pinpoint what process misbehaves.

Most of the time only LAN goes down. And this is not very noticeable for the network users as it goes back up in no time. But, sometimes both WAN and LAN go down at the same time and in this case it takes 3-5 seconds to recover (in logs it looks like as going up and down several time). I use Unifi Flex XG on the other end - haven't had any problems with other uplinks. Though I will try to limit interface to 1GB connection and see if it will help.

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
without turbo mode and this fan (+ lapped copper block and kryonaut paste) it behaves almost decent, 70° under prime95 and 47° in idle,
Very Nice! How much would it be for you to print and ship it? I do not own a 3D printer or know someone who does.
well consider the material and the cost on printing it is really small, dunno probably 5-6€ not more, the problem could be the shipping :D are you in italy/europe?

Reactions: dazagrt

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
without turbo mode and this fan (+ lapped copper block and kryonaut paste) it behaves almost decent, 70° under prime95 and 47° in idle,

well consider the material and the cost on printing it is really small, dunno probably 5-6€ not more, the problem could be the shipping :D are you in italy/europe?
I am on the US east coast, so that sounds cost-prohibitive :D

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
Alright, moment of truth:
  • I reset the BIOS settings to default
  • I disabled C-States in the BIOS (this is the default setting and was also disabled before today)
  • I disabled Intel ME in the BIOS (was enabled by default)
  • I disabled Powerd in pfSense
  • I updated proxmox incl dist-upgrade
  • Temperatures have not been a problem, as I have a 120mm fan on the chassis, so everything is below 50 degrees Celcius.
proxmox-ve: 7.2-1 (running kernel: 5.15.39-3-pve)
pve-manager: 7.2-7 (running version: 7.2-7/d0dd0e85)
pve-kernel-5.15: 7.2-8
pve-kernel-helper: 7.2-8
pve-kernel-5.15.39-3-pve: 5.15.39-3
pve-kernel-5.15.39-1-pve: 5.15.39-1
pve-kernel-5.15.30-2-pve: 5.15.30-3
ceph-fuse: 15.2.16-pve1
corosync: 3.1.5-pve2
criu: 3.15-1+pve-1
glusterfs-client: 9.2-1
ifupdown2: 3.1.0-1+pmx3
ksm-control-daemon: 1.4-1
libjs-extjs: 7.0.0-1
libknet1: 1.24-pve1
libproxmox-acme-perl: 1.4.2
libproxmox-backup-qemu0: 1.3.1-1
libpve-access-control: 7.2-4
libpve-apiclient-perl: 3.2-1
libpve-common-perl: 7.2-2
libpve-guest-common-perl: 4.1-2
libpve-http-server-perl: 4.1-3
libpve-storage-perl: 7.2-7
libspice-server1: 0.14.3-2.1
lvm2: 2.03.11-2.1
lxc-pve: 5.0.0-3
lxcfs: 4.0.12-pve1
novnc-pve: 1.3.0-3
proxmox-backup-client: 2.2.5-1
proxmox-backup-file-restore: 2.2.5-1
proxmox-mini-journalreader: 1.3-1
proxmox-widget-toolkit: 3.5.1
pve-cluster: 7.2-2
pve-container: 4.2-2
pve-docs: 7.2-2
pve-edk2-firmware: 3.20210831-2
pve-firewall: 4.2-5
pve-firmware: 3.5-1
pve-ha-manager: 3.4.0
pve-i18n: 2.7-2
pve-qemu-kvm: 6.2.0-11
pve-xtermjs: 4.16.0-1
qemu-server: 7.2-3
smartmontools: 7.2-pve3
spiceterm: 3.2-2
swtpm: 0.7.1~bpo11+1
vncterm: 1.7-1
zfsutils-linux: 2.1.5-pve1

@skimikes: Would you share your Hardware and Options tab of the pfSense VM in proxmox? The only other thing it might be for me is that you run it on different settings, e.g. BIOD vs. UEFI.

I will monitor and report back. In case skimikes settings are the same the next step is to move pfSense to bare metal. All issues here seem to be connected to the virtualization.
Alright, more freezes, so this did not bring the solution, at least in my case. Now it has moved from random reboots to random freezes and CPU utilization is shown as 100% in proxmox

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
I'll put some Black filament on my Xmas list for you! ;)
Beautiful job on that bit of work. It looks like the same case as the one I bought. What do you think of printing an outside edge rim to space the whole plate away from the case edge to allow more room inside?
I've got some 15mm 2.5" drives I'd like to mount in there.
Spacing it away with a thicker internal edge wouldn't wreck the appeal of the form factor because the footprint would stay the same.

Thoughts?
can surely be done, it's easy enough, if you need i can share the step so you can modify it as needed if you know 3d modelling just a bit

Reactions: dazagrt

pigr8

Jul 13, 2017
I am on the US east coast, so that sounds cost-prohibitive :D
oh well, you should check an online hub to get a quote from someone local then, there are sites what can help you for that, i used i think 3dhubs way back then to 3dprint something for me :D

prdtabim

Jan 29, 2022
Alright, more freezes, so this did not bring the solution, at least in my case. Now it has moved from random reboots to random freezes and CPU utilization is shown as 100% in proxmox
I'm running proxmox 7 and a VM with Openwrt 22.03-RC5 in N5105 with this:
- no turbo ( all disabled )
- no power level tweaks ( pl1 pl2 ) . I'm considering to put 10w/10w to test ...
- C states enabled
- scaling governor as powersave

The clocks operates in range of 800MHz to 2GHz. The temps goes in 43ºC average and 53ºC top.
Far from the maximum performance but stable and fanless ( yet ). Runs fine for the purposes of small VMs, routing, vpn etc.
If absolutely necessary I will put a 120mm fan over the heatsink fins.

Reactions: Stovar

thimplicity

Jan 11, 2022
I'm running proxmox 7 and a VM with Openwrt 22.03-RC5 in N5105 with this:
- no turbo ( all disabled )
- no power level tweaks ( pl1 pl2 ) . I'm considering to put 10w/10w to test ...
- C states enabled
- scaling governor as powersave

The clocks operates in range of 800MHz to 2GHz. The temps goes in 43ºC average and 53ºC top.
Far from the maximum performance but stable and fanless ( yet ). Runs fine for the purposes of small VMs, routing, vpn etc.
If absolutely necessary I will put a 120mm fan over the heatsink fins.
I just set up a new VM with BIOS instead of UEFI and restored the config from the UEFI VM. Let's see whether this makes any difference. Can you share where those settings are in the BIOS? My problem is that I need to power down the whole box, connect it to a monitor and keyboard in another room to change BIOS settings :D

prdtabim

Jan 29, 2022
I just set up a new VM with BIOS instead of UEFI and restored the config from the UEFI VM. Let's see whether this makes any difference. Can you share where those settings are in the BIOS? My problem is that I need to power down the whole box, connect it to a monitor and keyboard in another room to change BIOS settings :D
In snapshots the bios configuration.

In /etc/rc.local

Code:
#!/bin/sh -e

echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy0/scaling_governor
echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy1/scaling_governor
echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy2/scaling_governor
echo "powersave" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpufreq/policy3/scaling_governor

exit 0

Attachments

Reactions: thimplicity

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
so i finished my design and printed it, fits a 80x80x10 mm fan (i got myself a 5v one), the air vents are the same as stock, fits the stock screws plus 4 heatsunk insert to fix the fan and 2 extra m3 nuts to eventually mount the unit on the wall or something.

obviously no vesa mount possibile, can be printed in whatever material (i printed in abs) without any support just as it is.. on the other externa facing side there are 4 slots to place the original rubber feets.

View attachment 23818

View attachment 23819

a 10mm fan clears every internal component, probably a 15mm also but not sure, temps are "fine" and the enclosure is nice and fresh.
inside the zip is the stl to slice it, as said no supports needed, 10-20% infill is more than enough.
Great work! This looks amazing. The loss of the VESA mount probably won’t make a big difference, though it’s nice to mount these types of appliances vertically (not on a monitor) depending on network closet configuration.