How hard is it to build a server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

colonoob

Oct 27, 2014
I'm looking to colo a box to have a VPN endpoint for me and my friends to use streaming Netflix and other services. We've worked it out that coloing is much cheaper than each getting our own vpn server and with bandwidth, it's cheaper than Amazon. I'm also in airports a lot and I want to secure browsing from everyone sitting around me.

I'm guessing each of the 8 of us will need on average 100GB/mo for our families. That is about $96/mo in amazon fees.

How hard is it to build a server? What do I need to buy? Is there a checklist I can use?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
To physically put together a server is easy.

In terms of checklists/ what to buy maybe I can put something together on the main site.

pyro_

Oct 4, 2013
The other option to consider is picking up a used name brand server like an hp or a dell rather than build one. Then at least you only have to worry about the software side of it and can quite likely get it much cheaper.

Also since you are going to collocate it you don't have to worry about how much noise it is going to make like you would if it was in your house

bds1904

Aug 30, 2013
Why don't you just rent a dediced server with unmetered bandwidth for $40/MO ? That should be cheaper than any colo.

You don't need too much for an 8 user VPN box.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
curious on how your colo to watch netflix?
People VPN Netflix to watch outside of countries that Netflix works in and also to get around ISP throttling.

On that point - maybe a dedicated server would be better. That way if ISPs open up, you are not stuck with a server.