DataOn DNS-2760 - Rebranded HGST 4U60G2 - $323 on ebay

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

megalo

Apr 12, 2020
I don't need this, at all, but they're somewhat local (have walked in to buy other hardware in the past)...

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I don't need this, at all, but they're somewhat local (have walked in to buy other hardware in the past)...
I bet if you got one, you could sell it on here for more if you can figure out the shipping part.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
the homelab with millions of 250GB spinpoints :D
Or the homelab needing 1.32PB or more in storage (more when bigger drives come out). If you have a full sized rack in your lab, you can have nearly 16PB with 22TB drives.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I bet if you got one, you could sell it on here for more if you can figure out the shipping part.
As somebody that has resold homelab/server hardware for over a decade, this sounds like a easy profit but is the type of stuff you get stuck with.
There is close to zero demand and the few wanting them know what they are worth.

Before chia spiking stuff like this they were dime a dozen at 199-249, and still hard to get out the door at that price.
Buying 20pcs for 1500 was my biggest regret intil chia suckers bought them :cool:

The majority will rather do 2-3x 24bay than a top loaded like this.
As its lower consumption, less complex, easier access and better access to parts.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
As somebody that has resold homelab/server hardware for over a decade, this sounds like a easy profit but is the type of stuff you get stuck with.
There is close to zero demand and the few wanting them know what they are worth.

Before chia spiking stuff like this they were dime a dozen at 199-249, and still hard to get out the door at that price.
Buying 20pcs for 1500 was my biggest regret intil chia suckers bought them :cool:

The majority will rather do 2-3x 24bay than a top loaded like this.
As its lower consumption, less complex, easier access and better access to parts.
It's items like this that you would have to get paid in advance if you didn't want to sit on it, or had a gauge of the market like you've got. But there is always that deal one can sometimes make just to help someone out and they're willing to pay for that help because no one else is willing to do it. It's one off, so it's not a quick or easy buck, but if it's not a business it sometimes makes sense.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
It's items like this that you would have to get paid in advance if you didn't want to sit on it
Selling it before having it in hand and verified specs/functionality is a gamble.

id say its something like 1/3 chance on listings like this (complex non-standard hardware) of not getting what is actualy listed + complete/working units.
They will send you sas2 when listed as sas3, missing internal pcbs, missing trays, wrong trays/interposers, just fully diffrent model etc

Its generally not a problem for you buying for the lab that its a small variation in model, while a customer will not like that at all.
Same goes for a delay from you getting reshipped components/units (worst case they wont actually have the correct unit at all).

Especialy for me in europe that have pallets going by sea so 7-8weeks delivery door-door.
From experience i never presell and always assume to have 10-20% DOA.

Reactions: Aestr and Samir

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I unhappily have to agree with that - I tried selling two units (4U60G1) for months and was happy to sell them at all at some point. (o/c that was 6 months before Chia when i could have used them myself or sold for tripple of what i got).

Mymlan

Clean, Friendly, and In Stock.
Oct 1, 2013
Has anyone got noise and power data on these? Looks like a great way to condense some SC-846s but, as Fritz says, I worry they sound like a rocket launch in operation.

Edit: From a prior STH post: loud.

Rand__

Mar 6, 2014
I think to remember that it was a storm while booting but okish after - couldnt hear it over my other boxes i think

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Selling it before having it in hand and verified specs/functionality is a gamble.

id say its something like 1/3 chance on listings like this (complex non-standard hardware) of not getting what is actualy listed + complete/working units.
They will send you sas2 when listed as sas3, missing internal pcbs, missing trays, wrong trays/interposers, just fully diffrent model etc

Its generally not a problem for you buying for the lab that its a small variation in model, while a customer will not like that at all.
Same goes for a delay from you getting reshipped components/units (worst case they wont actually have the correct unit at all).

Especialy for me in europe that have pallets going by sea so 7-8weeks delivery door-door.
From experience i never presell and always assume to have 10-20% DOA.
I think you just described most things on ebay, lol.

I'm shocked at the 10-20% doa though--that's unreal! When I had an auto parts warehouse, we stopped carrying anything that exceeded 5%.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I bet this thing sounds like a A380 at throttle up.
I would love to have that sound! First time I booted up my 2950, I literally thought something was wrong. Then on subsequent boot ups, I motioned taking off in an imaginary plane. Fun stuff when you can boot it and then leave the room to work elsewhere. :)

Reactions: Fritz

hatchi

Nov 8, 2014
is there a model number for the rail kit ?

As without rail kit you are forced to install them top of the rack and if the rack is empty it will be unstable

So rail kit is a must

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Wonder if someone would like to trade one these for a CSE-417E16-RJBOD1 (SAS2 :( )

Spiro Papanikos

Jul 22, 2019

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
does this slide out ?
seems it is fixed , also i dont think it can handle the weight if this one is fully loaded
Yep, I have one of these and wouldn't trust it with that much weight.

Spiro Papanikos

Jul 22, 2019
does this slide out ?
seems it is fixed , also i dont think it can handle the weight if this one is fully loaded
I wouldn't use the one from amazon, it is only rated to 110lbs and was just an example of the type of shelf. I would look for one rated for more weight. This one might work and is rated for 350lbs

Mine does not not slide out, i just leave 5U-6U empty above the enclosure for access to the drives

hope this helps