Quanta LB4M 48-Port Gigabit Switch Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
I've got one of these too and love it...EXCEPT, when mine loses power, it also loses the port channel groups. This is after i've gone into the switch and hit the "save all applied changes" button, and I reboot it and my port channels are gone. I can make a change to the VLAN tags, and those are saved, but LAG groups are not saved. am I missing something?

Miladin Tomic

Oct 6, 2014
Does anyone know how to configure port as a trunk port on this switch?

On Cisco switches it is easy, but on this device I'm unable to find anything related to setting trunks...

Thanks,
Best regards

Scott Laird

Aug 30, 2014
By trunk, do you mean 802.1Q VLAN trunks, or something else?

Here's my current config; it seems to be working fine.

Code:
interface 0/50
  no shutdown
  vlan participation include 2-6
  vlan tagging 2-6
exit

PepeMachete

Sep 25, 2014
By trunk, do you mean 802.1Q VLAN trunks, or something else?

Here's my current config; it seems to be working fine.

Code:
interface 0/50
  no shutdown
  vlan participation include 2-6
  vlan tagging 2-6
exit

Im sorry, gave you the wrong command,

try
interface o/50
switchport mode trunk.

But i don't know you software version, maybe won't work with that command

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
I've got one of these too and love it...EXCEPT, when mine loses power, it also loses the port channel groups. This is after i've gone into the switch and hit the "save all applied changes" button, and I reboot it and my port channels are gone. I can make a change to the VLAN tags, and those are saved, but LAG groups are not saved. am I missing something?
I think I read somewhere that if you have <spaces> in your LAG groups that the changes won't be saved between reboots. Is that a possibility?

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
I just bought one of these for $100 used on Amazon. Not expecting much but I will report my findings.
Can anyone offer up any suggestions for a cheap card and short throw cable to connect to the uplink ports? Ideally a single-port card for now.
Also, I'm considering ordering 7x noctua fans to replace the originals. Has anyone experience or thoughts on doing this?

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I just bought one of these for $100 used on Amazon. Not expecting much but I will report my findings.
Can anyone offer up any suggestions for a cheap card and short throw cable to connect to the uplink ports? Ideally a single-port card for now.
Also, I'm considering ordering 7x noctua fans to replace the originals. Has anyone experience or thoughts on doing this?
Great questions. I saw the prices drop a ton (like this one @ 125 + 16 shipping and best offer.) I remember using a Supermicro AOC-STGN-i2S which worked.

Antoine

Oct 25, 2014
I bought this LB4M and it was working fine until few days ago. I was trying some of the features such as vlan or port channel, and uppon a casual reboot, I locked myself out of the switch.. The switch isn't pulling any DHCP address from the server (which is working 100% fine) and I can't connect to console port via a (USB to Serial -> Serial Cable -> Serial to RJ45 Adapter with the pin layout modified for NULL-Modem at rate 11520, 8bit, parity none, flow control none (as written in the manual). Any idea what I should try next? I even removed the "cmos"(?) battery on the mainboard and it changed nothing.

Here's the pin layout if anyone here is familiar with theses kind of adapter :

I'm more used to cisco 2960 where if you lock yourself out, you bush the button and it's reset to default. How about theses? Any way to hard-reset without telnet/console?.

Even locked out, it is working as an unmanaged switch for the moment, but it looks like it is blocking DHCP request (It can't take an IP for itself, and blocking the client from receiving one). However, if the client enters a static IP, it can succesfully connect to the rest of the network.

----

For the interrested, I modified my LB4M for a more "Home Friendly" usage. I removed the loud fan at the back and added two 120mm slim fan. Here's the picture! PS: I didn't intented to ever rack-mount the switch, so the outside fan didn't really borthered me.

The one in the back of the switch had place to go inside once the 3 small stock fan were removed. This one is pulling air out of the switch as the little one were doing.

The one in the front is entirely outside pulling air in the switch.It couldn't be put inside safely because of the "screws" I used who were too close to the daughter board.

Thank you for any help provided for the hard-reset.!

Edit : What is the default baud rate? Is it 9600 or 115200? They are completely losing me in the manual.

Last edited:

Darkytoo

Jan 2, 2014
I think I read somewhere that if you have <spaces> in your LAG groups that the changes won't be saved between reboots. Is that a possibility?
I double checked last night and i managed to have spaces in all my LAG groups, I've fixed those spaces and i'll have to reboot the switch later to test.

hekho

Oct 1, 2014
Im sorry, gave you the wrong command,

try
interface o/50
switchport mode trunk.

But i don't know you software version, maybe won't work with that command
With my switch, I could configure trunk port the way you've mentioned in the first post:

interface 0/50
vlan participation include 10,11
vlan tagging 10,11

I could issue a "switchport mode" but couldn't go further. Looks like a bug.
For my switch version ( LB4M 48x1G 2x10G, 1.1.1.8, VxWorks 6.6). Which version do you have?

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
I bought this LB4M and it was working fine until few days ago. I was trying some of the features such as vlan or port channel, and uppon a casual reboot, I locked myself out of the switch.. The switch isn't pulling any DHCP address from the server (which is working 100% fine) and I can't connect to console port via a (USB to Serial -> Serial Cable -> Serial to RJ45 Adapter with the pin layout modified for NULL-Modem at rate 11520, 8bit, parity none, flow control none (as written in the manual). Any idea what I should try next? I even removed the "cmos"(?) battery on the mainboard and it changed nothing.

Edit : What is the default baud rate? Is it 9600 or 115200? They are completely losing me in the manual.
Just got mine in. Had to play around with serial console settings a bit and found that a 9600 baud rate works. But you're right. The manual explicitly says the rate needs to be set at 11520. Practically pulled my hair out as this should be a piece of cake.
By the way, I like the fan mod. Are you driving that off of the fan daughter board?

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
Thanks for the tip, Patrick.
I'm kinda eying up the ConnectX-2 as the single-port cards can be easily had for ~$50. Anyone have experience with these? It's not clear which type of cable would be needed there.
By the way, I fixed all seven of the fans with inline resistors. The switch is nearly silent now :)
I was investigating the possibility of installing Openflow software on the switch and came across this forum post: https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...be-2x-10gbe-l3-switch-289usd.2005/#post-26867

Has anyone experience with this software on or off the LB4M?
It appears as though the switch supports dual images for testing and whatnot.
I'm excite to dive in further.

Chuntzu

Jun 30, 2013
What value resistor did you use if you don't mind me asking? Looking at quieting mine down a touch.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
I would love to know too. These are so inexpensive that if I could get a silent one that would be awesome (assuming it stayed cool).

Lance Joseph

Oct 5, 2014
What value resistor did you use if you don't mind me asking? Looking at quieting mine down a touch.
I had a few Noctua NA-RC6 low-noise adapters laying around. They measure about 81 ohms and make the three rear fans barely audible.
The rear fans use a 4-pin connector whereas the power supply fans use a three-pin, in case you weren't aware.
This thread has some good leads: Noctua LNA resistor ratings?

britinpdx

Feb 8, 2013
Portland OR
The rear fans use a 4-pin connector whereas the power supply fans use a three-pin, in case you weren't aware.
NOTE: The Delta fans in the power supplies are 40x40x15 and although they use a 3-pin connector, the power supply fan headers do not appear to follow standard pinouts. I found this out this AM when I tried to replace the delta fans with couple of Gelid 40x40x10 fans I had on hand and got no airflow.

Normal 3-pin fan wiring is black(ground) / red (12V) / Yellow (sensor)

The fan 3-pin connector in the delta power supply is wired blue (sensor) / black (ground) / red (12V) so the header appears to be non standard.

Nothing that can't be remedied by pulling the pins from the header and rewiring, but I haven't got there yet !

The 3 rear fans on the tray do follow standard pinouts, so no worries there.

Reactions: Lance Joseph

h0tw1r3

Oct 30, 2014
United States
zaplabs.com
With my switch, I could configure trunk port the way you've mentioned in the first post:

interface 0/50
vlan participation include 10,11
vlan tagging 10,11

I could issue a "switchport mode" but couldn't go further. Looks like a bug.
For my switch version ( LB4M 48x1G 2x10G, 1.1.1.8, VxWorks 6.6). Which version do you have?
There are two flash images that you can boot. Mine came booting VxWorks 5.5.1 (version 1.0.2.14) by default. The other image is VxWorks 6.6 (version 1.1.0.8).

Try switching to the other image.

Last edited:

PGlover

Nov 8, 2014

Here's the pin layout if anyone here is familiar with theses kind of adapter :

I'm more used to cisco 2960 where if you lock yourself out, you bush the button and it's reset to default. How about theses? Any way to hard-reset without telnet/console?.

Even locked out, it is working as an unmanaged switch for the moment, but it looks like it is blocking DHCP request (It can't take an IP for itself, and blocking the client from receiving one). However, if the client enters a static IP, it can succesfully connect to the rest of the network.

----

For the interrested, I modified my LB4M for a more "Home Friendly" usage. I removed the loud fan at the back and added two 120mm slim fan. Here's the picture! PS: I didn't intented to ever rack-mount the switch, so the outside fan didn't really borthered me.

The one in the back of the switch had place to go inside once the 3 small stock fan were removed. This one is pulling air out of the switch as the little one were doing.

The one in the front is entirely outside pulling air in the switch.It couldn't be put inside safely because of the "screws" I used who were too close to the daughter board.

I just brought one of these switches from Ebay and I cannot get into the Web GUI.. The switch does not seem to be configured for DHCP. Can you please provide some detail on the RJ45 Serial cable you built. I tried building one and it is not working. I too have a USB to Serial (not NULL modem) then Serial to RJ45 Adapter with the pin layout modified for NULL-Modem based on your picture and nothing is working. I am connected to the Console port on the switch.. Please help...

h0tw1r3

Oct 30, 2014
United States
zaplabs.com
I just brought one of these switches from Ebay and I cannot get into the Web GUI.. The switch does not seem to be configured for DHCP. Can you please provide some detail on the RJ45 Serial cable you built. I tried building one and it is not working. I too have a USB to Serial (not NULL modem) then Serial to RJ45 Adapter with the pin layout modified for NULL-Modem based on your picture and nothing is working. I am connected to the Console port on the switch.. Please help...
You only need 3 pins connected. I blindly tried Antoine's wiring from the pic and it did not work. Must be using some other cable (rolled?) with it.

I'm going from a LB4M -> CAT5 -> RJ45 to DB9 adapter -> USB to Serial adapter... here's what I have connected:

RJ45 to DB9 adapter:
Black -> Pin 2
Yellow -> Pin 3
Red -> Pin 5

IMG_20141108_170933.jpg

Hope that helps.