How to reformat HDD & SSD to 512B Sector Size

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
I tried with —six not working also
do you have access to hdsentinel? hdsentinel supports surface testing. see if it can even read write to the disk. windows by default can not use the 520 byte sector. to use the surface test feature you do need a paid copy of hdsentinel

this will verify if the disk is just dead or not. im leaning towards a bad disk

Attachments

Last edited:

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
Show us one situation where a NOT working sg_format command-line was made to WORK, merely by adding the --six option.
=====
"Better a smart-ass than a dumb-ass." :)
i have had drives in the past that fail to format without the --six command. just because you havent seen it personally doesnt mean its not true.

yemencit

Jun 17, 2022
do you have access to hdsentinel? hdsentinel supports surface testing. see if it can even read write to the disk. windows by default can not use the 520 byte sector. to use the surface terst feature you do need a paid copy of hdsentinel

this will verify if the disk is just dead or not. im leaning towards a bad disk
I think this hard disk locked from ibm can you help me to unlock to can accept reformat scotor size from 528 to 512

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
Please see attached file
does hdsentinel actually show this drive 520 bps?

sorry if this is redundant, but have you tried seatools to psid unlock? this drive is actually a seagate drive. https://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/docs/TP644_1_1211US_How_to_ISE_Your_Drive-FINAL.pdf

your psid code is on the drive. if seatools doesnt work have you tried parted magic pdsid unlock?

i have psid unlocked hpe drives before with either method. before unlocked i could not format or do anything with them.

yemencit

Jun 17, 2022
does hdsentinel actually show this drive 520 bps?

sorry if this is redundant, but have you tried seatools to psid unlock? this drive is actually a seagate drive. https://www.seagate.com/staticfiles/support/docs/TP644_1_1211US_How_to_ISE_Your_Drive-FINAL.pdf

your psid code is on the drive. if seatools doesnt work have you tried parted magic pdsid unlock?

i have psid unlocked hpe drives before with either method. before unlocked i could not format or do anything with them.
But the sector size is 528

Attachments

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
If contact with ibm technical support can help me to reformat scotor size
highly doubtful. the drive is made for their Power line. and ibm wont help any without a support contract. and they wont help you change something not meant to be changed.

yemencit

Jun 17, 2022
highly doubtful. the drive is made for their Power line. and ibm wont help any without a support contract. and they wont help you change something not meant to be changed.
Yes ibm not need help us with out contract any one help me for my problem please need resolve problem

masterchief07

Feb 18, 2020
Attempting to format some Toshiba drives which are currently hooked up to a P408i controller on a DL360 G10. Guessing I am going to have to hook them straight up to the mobo for SG3 to see them? Its only seeing the controller at the moment.

masterchief07

Feb 18, 2020
Toshiba PX05SRB192. Just figured that running any drive model through the controller may be the hang up here. I'm not on site so can't swap the cables at the moment.

1657200927926.png

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
Toshiba PX05SRB192. Just figured that running any drive model through the controller may be the hang up here. I'm not on site so can't swap the cables at the moment.

View attachment 23431
if the 408i is still in raid mode you cant format like that as the raid card doesnt pass the drives through to the os.. there is a way to change to hba mode but it requires an hpe server to do so. i havent done it on the controller u have, but i have on an older 6gb hp card.

masterchief07

Feb 18, 2020
if the 408i is still in raid mode you cant format like that as the raid card doesnt pass the drives through to the os.. there is a way to change to hba mode but it requires an hpe server to do so. i havent done it on the controller u have, but i have on an older 6gb hp card.

Gave this a shot, had to boot up SPP 8.1 to get bash shell, no go though. Via SSA, the controller does show as Mixed Mode, so the drives should be visible to OS but SSA also shows all drives as failed. Will just wait to swap the cables from the controller to the mobo.

1657214261262.png

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
Gave this a shot, had to boot up SPP 8.1 to get bash shell, no go though. Via SSA, the controller does show as Mixed Mode, so the drives should be visible to OS but SSA also shows all drives as failed. Will just wait to swap the cables from the controller to the mobo.

View attachment 23432
so previous hpe controllers still havenyt supported 4kn drives. this may be the issue. im not sure about your controller. if the controller doesnt support 4kn then it cant touch 520 or 528 bps because the base on those drives is 4kn. quickspecs dont mention anything about 4kn... https://www.hpe.com/psnow/doc/a00047736enw.pdf?jumpid=in_pdp-psnow-qs

if it does support make sure u are booting UEFI not legacy.

on latest firmware? HPE Support Center
Version: 5.00(B) (6 May 2022)

Last edited:

masterchief07

Feb 18, 2020
Yup, latest version and yes, booting UEFI. I will see if I can find a definite answer regarding 4k support.

Last edited:

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
Yup, latest version and yes, booting UEFI. I will see if I can find a definite answer.
seems like the controller is acting like an lsi card would with jbod mode. ill see if i can try my 3108 lsi card in jbod mode and format a 520 drive. cant promise when ill run this test.

Last edited:
Reactions: masterchief07

bandit8623

May 25, 2021
Yup, latest version and yes, booting UEFI. I will see if I can find a definite answer regarding 4k support.
so i grabbed a few drives that were 512 bps and they are formatting fine to 520 with sg tools in windows. also drives are showing all information in hd sentinel. so acting just like an hba.

maybe a driver issue as well since ur using linux? usually the driver should change when in jbod.

in device manager my 9361-8i changes from that in raid mode to - Avago SDS sas 9A61-8i. totally diff driver.