FS: QuantaMesh 40 x 100GbE Xeon D-1548 1U Switch

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Google Wallet/Zelle/etc preferred as PayPal fees add up. Will also entertain trades since I like new toys and rotate through hardware regularly, though currently not in need of a whole lot. I think my reputation should help: Heatware

Local pickup available in Phoenix. Will consider international shipping.

Bought this as a project, but have been running out of time/motivation, so, onto other things. I plan on wiping the SSDs prior to shipping so you can load a fresh copy of ONIE (found here). Do not expect any support from the manufacturer (they didn't do much for me) or Arrcus. Should also treat it like a project. SONiC supports other similar switches and the ASIC, so with some work, perhaps you could get it installed.

You get 40 x 100GbE QSFP28 ports, integrated Xeon D-1548, 32GB ECC DDR4, 2 x 128GB NVMe SSDs (guess SATA isn't good enough?), and a Broadcom ASIC to do all the switching. As it's x86 based, can get into the UEFI and do everything via the serial console. Full specs can be seen here: QuantaMesh BMS T7040-IXAE | Spine Switch | QCT.io

Will ship in the original box with rails. Last I checked there were under 100 total power on hours for the switch.

Sold $450 (plus shipping) and you can call it yours. I also have some optics for this if desired.

Last edited:

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
@BlueFox , just wonder what's power consumption when it is idle, as well as per active port ( Direct Attach Copper Cable ) running at 100GbE? QuantaMesh specs is not telling anything on the power consumption.

Reactions: Samir

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
@BlueFox , just wonder what's power consumption when it is idle, as well as per active port ( Direct Attach Copper Cable ) running at 100GbE? QuantaMesh specs is not telling anything on the power consumption.
I can get you idle power before the end of the weekend, but no DACs on hand anymore unfortunately (or NICs for that matter).

Reactions: Samir and Senses3

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Are you missing a digit on that price? 40 ports at 100gig for only 600 bucks?!?

that’s insane. Can it really switch at line rate? I guess so since the ASICs are doing the switching
No typo on price. It can indeed do line rate. ASIC is good for ~10Tb/s, so it can actually handle more than 40 x 100GbE. It's quite beefy and even has 8GB HBM like high end GPUs (this is separate from the 32GB in the Xeon management system). See: BCM88690

Reactions: Samir and gigatexal

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Idle without any OS was about 180W. No surprise given how much power the ASIC, Xeon CPU, and fans take. It's possible that once communication is established with the ASIC after boot, a lower power mode is possible, but I'm not sure.

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
Idle without any OS was about 180W. No surprise given how much power the ASIC, Xeon CPU, and fans take. It's possible that once communication is established with the ASIC after boot, a lower power mode is possible, but I'm not sure.
Thanks for providing the info.

BlueFox

Oct 26, 2015
Long story, however, this is back in my hands as it was never successfully delivered to the original overseas buyer and USPS eventually returned it. As such, it's available again and the price has been dropped by another 25%.