ES Xeon Discussion

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

systemviper

Mar 21, 2016
Newtown, CT
@RolloZ170 Thanks for all your help, it's nice to have expertise that is so accomating and available. I have been sitting on those 2 - X11DPL-i boards for a while now but finally decided to get a Xeon Gold 5218 ES2 QQ9M 125 tdp, I only purchased one just to be sure. I am very happy and will get the other 3 in the next few weeks...

Again thanks for your support and look forward to rocking those 2 rigs now in the Boinc.
PS: how is your mod rig X11DPL-i working out? keep on keeping on!

This is a great forum!
Respect
SV / Steve

Attachments

Stephan

Apr 21, 2017
Germany
If you get tired of the egg carton (?), I can recommend the Streacom Open Benchtable. For ATX and EATX you will need more M3 standoff screws than is in the package. Version 2 also has two holes for a Power-On and Reset switch now. Switches are 12mm e.g. Excellway® LED Drucktaster Grün Druckknopf Taster Push Button 12mm Auto u.s.w | eBay. Green is nice and bright, yellow (right, in reset button, for HDD activity) not so much. No idea what LEDs are employed, at 3.4V some are bound to be rather dim. CPU is 8259CL on Asrock Rack board. Temperature of CPU package never goes above 65 degC even under highest loads. Fans are PWM and at idle at 700 rpm the entire assembly is inaudible. PSU is a 600W Seasonic SSR-600TL fanless. Right fan cools the Mellanox CX3, chipset and close side RAMs, CPU fans also cool RAM on far side through Bernoulli effect. I also found a funny air flow around the CPU VRM cooling fins. In the first half, air is flowing inward due to the same effect of close side CPU fan. But on the second half of the fins air blows outward, because direct air flow from the close side CPU fan is "visible".

Capture.JPG

systemviper

Mar 21, 2016
Newtown, CT
I use dunkin donuts 4 cup holders, inexpensive. I like to keep the rigs exposed to get max cooling and or heat dissipation during summer/winter. But i am starting to put things into cases to cut down on my dusting and consolidate...

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I managed to source two Xeon Platinum 8272CL for 800$ per CPU and wondering if they will work with Supermicro X11DPI-NT motherboard.
Plat 8272CL - 26 cores 2,6Ghz, 3,7 Ghz turbo. TDP=195W
from the TDP (195W) they should work, if they have higher thermal design current(TDC) you can request a VRM upgrade from supermicro(if your board is not under warranty you can do the VRM modd yourself)

Last edited:

Anizotropicasso

Jun 10, 2022
...if they have higher thermal design current(TDC) you can request a VRM upgrade from supermicro(if your board is not under warranty you can do the VRM modd yourself)
Unfortunatelly mobo isnt under warranty ;-(

I'm thinking to source DELL 7920 barebone but not sure about the compatibility due to CL version of the CPU. Whats the chance it will/wont work ?

Thanks for help.

Attachments

Last edited:

onox16

Jun 13, 2022
Hello,

just to be sure, the tutorial from RolloZ170 to patch the VRM on SuperMicro boards will not work on the X11SPA-T, X11SPA-TF, because these boards does not have the old needed BIOS2.x? I would like to run a 8273CL...

Thanks in advance!

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
just to be sure, the tutorial from RolloZ170 to patch the VRM on SuperMicro boards will not work on the X11SPA-T, X11SPA-TF, because these boards does not have the old needed BIOS2.x? I would like to run a 8273CL...
Thanks in advance!
the BIOS can reject the TDP in some board with up to 165Watts support, boards with 205W support normaly have NOT a TDP limit block in BIOS.

i.e: if you modd a X11SPL for 8273CL the CPU will start POST after the VRM modd but the BIOS will report a "over specs CPU" and reboots after some seconds. to overcome this you have to use BIOS 3.1 or older or remove the TDP limit of the BIOS. i have BIOS with 255W limit for X11SPL/X11SPM.

X11SPA should NOT have a TDP limit because the up to 205W support, if supermicro do one in the future the BIOS must be modded or you have to use an older one without TDP block then.

onox16

Jun 13, 2022
the BIOS can reject the TDP in some board with up to 165Watts support, boards with 205W support normaly have NOT a TDP limit block in BIOS.

i.e: if you modd a X11SPL for 8273CL the CPU will start POST after the VRM modd but the BIOS will report a "over specs CPU" and reboots after some seconds. to overcome this you have to use BIOS 3.1 or older or remove the TDP limit of the BIOS. i have BIOS with 255W limit for X11SPL/X11SPM.

X11SPA should NOT have a TDP limit because the up to 205W support, if supermicro do one in the future the BIOS must be modded or you have to use an older one without TDP block then.
Got it! Thanks for the clarification! So there is a good chance, that the steps for the X11SPM could also work on the X11SPA-T too? Then I would buy ElmorLabs device and would give it a try!

• Love
Reactions: RolloZ170

wingpegasis

Oct 13, 2021
Hi guys,
I'm having problems getting the QDCS (CPUID = 0306F0h) to boot in my motherboard Jingsha X99-8D3.
I've tried various BIOSes with 306F0 microcode included by default and the board gives FF post code, however if I use BIOSes with 306F0 microcode removed then the CPU is able to get past FF, yet it's stuck at code 79.
Has anyone an idea of what is going on here?

officialdsp

Jun 21, 2022
Hi experts,
I have a couple of x11dpu g6 ni22 boards which is effectively an X11dpu that shipped as a Nutanix system. I have no idea what the difference is aside from maybe the firmware as physically they look identical. Anyway, I am hoping to chuck in some ES CPUs, now I can see the X11DPU supports quite a range without a mod, so my questions are:

Would I be able to chuck standard X11 firmware on the board and therefore any modded firmware, or am I stuck with the Nutanix specific firmware, in which case does anyone know which firmware would support the ES CPUs? They use a different naming conjecture.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Would I be able to chuck standard X11 firmware on the board and therefore any modded firmware, or am I stuck with the Nutanix specific firmware, in which case does anyone know which firmware would support the ES CPUs? They use a different naming conjecture.
for the skylake ES stepping B0 i.e. you need a older BIOS (without 2nd gen support)
if you have a file we can take a look in the BIOS.

officialdsp

Jun 21, 2022
for the skylake ES stepping B0 i.e. you need a older BIOS (without 2nd gen support)
if you have a file we can take a look in the BIOS.
I'll have a dig around and see if I can find an archive of the older BIOS's, the oldest that is easily accessible is https://download.nutanix.com/kbattachments/7812/NX11DPU1.B30.PU50.002.Signed.bin which would only be 12 months old

Edit: Managed to find an older BIOS: https://s3.amazonaws.com/ntnx-sre/G6-BIOS/PU21.000/NX11DPU8.808

Last edited: