Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
I did, the message right above your last one, in case you missed it.
I just saw it. I will try your conf tomorrow (1.30am right now). I have read a couple of docs about VLAN. I understand better what their use is for and why my ISP use them. It's config aren't officially documented but there are some info on the web.
fingers crossed :)

Reactions: Lone Wolf

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
I did the step you mention but for each step I got a message saying it is already tagged and dual mode.
My config did not change when I do a show vlan. Here is what I have when I do a show version :

Code:
SSH@bro6450(config-if-e1000-1/1/17)#show version
  Copyright (c) 1996-2016 Brocade Communications Systems, Inc. All rights reserved.
    UNIT 1: compiled on Feb 13 2019 at 17:44:29 labeled as ICX64R08030t
                (9868556 bytes) from Primary ICX64R08030t.bin
        SW: Version 08.0.30tT313
  Boot-Monitor Image size = 786944, Version:10.1.05T310 (kxz10105)
  HW: Stackable ICX6450-24
==========================================================================
UNIT 1: SL 1: ICX6450-24 24-port Management Module
         Serial  #: xxxxxx
         License: ICX6450_PREM_ROUTER_SOFT_PACKAGE   (LID: H4CKTH3PLN8)
         P-ENGINE  0: type DEF0, rev 01
UNIT 1: SL 2: ICX6450-SFP-Plus 4port 40G Module
  800 MHz ARM processor ARMv5TE, 400 MHz bus
65536 KB flash memory
  512 MB DRAM
STACKID 1  system uptime is 110 day(s) 56 minute(s) 59 second(s)
The system started at 00:00:56 GMT+00 Thu Jan 01 1970

The system : started=cold start

SSH@bro6450(config-if-e1000-1/1/17)#

[/spoiler]

Lone Wolf

Apr 3, 2022
I did the step you mention but for each step I got a message saying it is already tagged and dual mode.
My config did not change when I do a show vlan. Here is what I have when I do a show version :
I think you would need to undo the tagging and dual modes on 15 and 17 first.

Allthatufear8

May 31, 2022
Is anyone using a ruckus switch with a a multigigabit router? I have an icx 7150-48ZP that I'm using for inter-vlan routing. 1 gig connections run at full speed, but over that drops to 140mbps. I've turn on flow control and it jumps to 700mbps. I've tried Verizon's and ATT's router, an opnsense/vyos router and a dream machine pro se with the same results.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Good news everyone!

The Fan problem is now essentially SOLVED.

I just received my Arctic S4028-6K value pack.

Initial testing shows the new Arctic serie is the perfect fan for the 3-pin brocades. here's why:

before i am running 1x original fan with my tape mod. icx6450-48p completely idle with one hour running time:

Code:
#show chassis
The stack unit 1 chassis info:

Power supply 1 (NA - AC - PoE) present, status ok
Power supply 2 not present
Power supply 3 not present

Fan 1 failed
Fan 2 failed
Fan 3 failed

Fan controlled temperature: 55.0 deg-C

Fan speed switching temperature thresholds:
                Speed 1: NM<----->65       deg-C
                Speed 2:       56<-----> 79 deg-C (shutdown)

Sensor B Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 49.0 deg-C
Sensor A Temperature Readings:
        Current temperature : 55.0 deg-C
        Warning level.......: 69.0 deg-C
        Shutdown level......: 79.0 deg-C
Now i receive my 4028-6K value pack. Plus and minus wires needs to be switched. A value pack at german amazon.de is just under 30 EUR, includes 5 fans and 20 screws. Immediately as i open the pack i realize it's the real deal.

the 6K version are too slow for heavy usage, but as i'm writing this my 6450-48p is running at idle with 3x arctic 4028-6K's in ABSOLUTE ****ING SILENCE.

Code:
show chassis

Fan 1 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 2 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 3 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2

Fan controlled temperature: 63.5 deg-C

Current temperature : 56.5 deg-C
        Current temperature : 63.5 deg-C
again, i repeat: ABSOLUTE SILENCE.
i have to put my ear right next to the fan outlets to hear that anything is going on.

Obviously, the Arctic 6K versions are insufficient for anything heavier that idle, i'm only a few degrees celcius for it kicking into high gear

BUT

first of all the arctic's are both voltage AND PWM controlled. 4.5V to 12V

a 5 fan value pack sells on amazon for 30 EUR, which includes 20 screws. That is great value. I'm gonna order the 15K version next, and depending on my final load, add 15K Arctics as necessary.

Again, i'm running my 6450-48p atm at ABSOLUTE SILENCE. presumably according to the specs they are running at 1400 RPM atm, at 4.5V lol.

Point is immediately as i received the 6k versions today i could feel holding them they are gonna be the perfect fans for the brocades, and remember, they are BOTH voltage AND PWM controlled, [4 pin] so users of the big beef qsfp switches take notice, it's possible these could serve as straight replacements!

this is a special alert! The perfect fans for all the brocade switches might very well have now been identified!!!!

Arctic-S4028-6K_back1_small.pngArctic-S4028-6K_valuepack_small.pngArctic-S4028-6K_running2_small.pngArctic-S4028-6K_front2_extra_small.png

Last edited:

luks

Sep 23, 2021
Helsinki, Finland
I'm experiementing with VLAN routing on ICX6610 and I would need some help. Two computers in different VLANs don't seem to be able to reach each other. I did it pretty much based on this video.
  • Only two computers connected to the switch, both have static IPs configured
    • 10.0.10.100, default route to 10.0.10.1, VLAN 10
    • 10.0.20.100, default route to 10.0.20.1, VLAN 20
  • Two VLANs, 10 and 20 with router-interfaces set
  • Two virtual interfaces, 10 and 20
    • 10.0.10.1/24
    • 10.0.20.1/24
But the computers cannot see each other. I tried to ping the other machine from both machines, but they cannot see reach other. Pinging the switch IP 10.0.10.1 and 10.0.20.1 from the computers works fine. Pinging from the switch to the computers doesn't work. I checked the ARP table from the switch and both computers are there with their IPs and correct MAC addresses. I have tried to disable all firewalls etc. What am I doing wrong or is there something I have misunderstood about this?

icx.jpg

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
But the computers cannot see each other. I tried to ping the other machine from both machines, but they cannot see reach other. Pinging the switch IP 10.0.10.1 and 10.0.20.1 from the computers works fine.
please post output from "show ip route" on the icx.

please post your icx configuration.

adman_c

Feb 14, 2016
Chicago
Good news everyone!

The Fan problem is now essentially SOLVED.

I just received my Arctic S4028-6K value pack.

Initial testing shows the new Arctic serie is the perfect fan for the 3-pin brocades. here's why:

before i am running 1x original fan with my tape mod. icx6450-48p completely idle with one hour running time:

Code:
#show chassis

Fan 1 failed
Fan 2 failed
Fan 3 failed

Fan controlled temperature: 55.0 deg-C

Current temperature : 49.0 deg-C
        Current temperature : 55.0 deg-C
Now i receive my 4028-6K value pack. Plus and minus wires needs to be switched. A value pack at german amazon.de is just under 30 EUR, includes 5 fans and 20 screws. Immediately as i open the pack i realize it's the real deal.

the 6K version are too slow for heavy usage, but as i'm writing this my 6450-48p is running at idle with 3x arctic 4028-6K's in ABSOLUTE ****ING SILENCE.

Code:
show chassis

Fan 1 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 2 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2
Fan 3 ok, speed (auto): [[1]]<->2

Fan controlled temperature: 63.5 deg-C

Current temperature : 56.5 deg-C
        Current temperature : 63.5 deg-C
again, i repeat: ABSOLUTE SILENCE.
i have to put my ear right next to the fan outlets to hear that anything is going on.

Obviously, the Arctic 6K versions are insufficient for anything heavier that idle, i'm only a few degrees celcius for it kicking into high gear

BUT

first of all the arctic's are both voltage AND PWM controlled. 4.5V to 12V

a 5 fan value pack sells on amazon for 30 EUR, which includes 20 screws. That is great value. I'm gonna order the 15K version next, and depending on my final load, add 15K Arctics as necessary.

Again, i'm running my 6450-48p atm at ABSOLUTE SILENCE. presumably according to the specs they are running at 1400 RPM atm, at 4.5V lol.

Point is immediately as i received the 6k versions today i could feel holding them they are gonna be the perfect fans for the brocades, and remember, they are BOTH voltage AND PWM controlled, [4 pin] so users of the big beef qsfp switches take notice, it's possible these could serve as straight replacements!

this is a special alert! The perfect fans for all the brocade switches might very well have now been identified!!!!

View attachment 23028View attachment 23029View attachment 23030View attachment 23032
Intriguing. I wonder if a pair of the 6k models can adequately cool the 7250-24p or if they'd be constantly cycling between high and low speeds.

sergi0

Dec 4, 2016
I think you would need to undo the tagging and dual modes on 15 and 17 first.
Tremendous : it worked. I remove the config via GUI and then do it inside a terminal. Everything was configured as your conf. I did a couple of test, I get strange results when configuring using the GUI, but why bother if it works via terminal.
I did a couple of stress test and so far no problem.

ONE thousand THANKS for everyone that helps, especially Lone Wolf and Fohdeesha. I am also glad to have learn a couple of things too :).

heromode

May 25, 2020
Intriguing. I wonder if a pair of the 6k models can adequately cool the 7250-24p or if they'd be constantly cycling between high and low speeds.
An update on my situation: Today on a warm summer day the fans did throttle up with switch still all idle, only one gigabit ethernet cable connected. So at low mode these don't move enough air. When they spin up they are audible, not noisy though. Nothing even close to one original fan at low speed.

It would be interesting to hear what the 15K version sound at low speed, but atm i'm planning on ordering 3x noctua nf-a4x10 flx, which are 10mm deep, and attach them to each ASIC heatspreader, and feed the directly from the 12V line coming from the PSU, and maybe even use the included voltage reduction adapter. I already have the T-Splitters to get 12V.

I believe the combination of 3 fans directly over the ASIC's and the 3x Arctic should get me a silent switch. The best thing about the S4028-6K's is they work perfectly at both 4.5V and 12V, and when they do spin up to high speed they actually move air decently, and the switch cools down, throttling down after a while.

Today i've been experimenting with adding the 2 extra arctic's from the valuepack inside the case, in the free area between the PCB and the rear, and blowing towards the rear in the same direction as other fans. I've strapped them with zip-ties to the PCB screws beneath the PCB. I'm missing some wires like splitted 3-pin fan cable extenders so i'm having to improvise some just to test. So far i have the 4th Arctic working by feeding it only voltage and ground from one fan header. I'm not connecting the tach pin so not to mess up the signal. It works and the 4th fan starts at full and throtthles down to 4.5V just as the other fans.

I'm still working on getting the other, 5th fan connected, and while i think this will help abit, i'm still probably gonna go with 3x noctua's directly on the ASIC chips. That combination of 3x noctua's and 3x Arctics i believe will result in a very quiet switch that still has the ability to ramp up the rear fans incase of heavy load.

Arctic-S4028-6K_extra_fans.png

Update. Now i have the 2 extra Arctic's connected, and the cover back on, so in an hour i'll know how much they help. It's not a silent switch, there is some minor noise at low speed now. You can hear it in a quiet room standing 1 meter away, but it's acceptable to me. Somehow attaching plus and ground to extra fans seems to have changed the sound of the rear fans abit, i dunno if i'm imagining it..

Update2. Now it's been running idle for an hour, and the temps have stabilized:

Temps kept rising even after an hour, and seem to have settled now.. This depends on window open or close, and outside temp ofcourse, but this ain't gonna cut it:

Code:
Fan controlled temperature: 61.5 deg-C

Speed 1: NM<----->65 deg-C
Speed 2: 56<-----> 79 deg-C (shutdown)

Current temperature : 57.5 deg-C
Current temperature : 61.5 deg-C
So the 2 extra fans inside the case seem to have dropped the temps compared to only 3 Arctic rear fans by 2.5 1 degree for sensor B, and 5 2 degrees for sensor A. It's a reasonable result in my opinion. Not much help. At low speed these don't move enough air.

The fact is that without direct airflow over the hot ASIC heatspreaders, the only way to compensate that is with very high general airflow throughout the whole chassis, which is impossible to do quietly.

I'm convinced now that it's not possible to make the 6450 close to silent without having 40 x 40 x 10 fans attached on the ASIC's.

Next comes splurging the big bucks for the Noctua's.

Edit3: Instead of the expensive Noctua's i decided to try these 3V - 12V chinese fans, and connect them to the fan headers instead. Presumably at 4.5V they should rotate at low RPM, plus i can connect them with a simple fan cable splitter without tapping into the 12V line. that's 10€ instead of 45€.

Last edited:

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
ICX 7150 stuck at boot after firmware update

Hello,

I needs some help. The firmware update of my ICX 7150-24P from 09.0.10a to 09.0.10c failed. The switch does not boot up any more. It gets stuck with prompt

Code:
OS>
I updated the primary partitopn. When I press 'b' during boot and select by comand boot_secondary the secondary partition, the same happens. It gets stuck with prompt

Code:
OS>
Any advice what to do to get it alive again?

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

Hello,

I needs some help. The firmware update of my ICX 7150-24P from 09.0.10a to 09.0.10c failed. The switch does not boot up any more. It gets stuck with prompt

Code:
OS>
I updated the primary partitopn. When I press 'b' during boot and select by comand boot_secondary the secondary partition, the same happens. It gets stuck with prompt

Code:
OS>
Any advice what to do to get it alive again?
don't run alpha firmware lmao

Reactions: blinkenlights

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
I'm experiementing with VLAN routing on ICX6610 and I would need some help. Two computers in different VLANs don't seem to be able to reach each other. I did it pretty much based on this video.
  • Only two computers connected to the switch, both have static IPs configured
    • 10.0.10.100, default route to 10.0.10.1, VLAN 10
    • 10.0.20.100, default route to 10.0.20.1, VLAN 20
  • Two VLANs, 10 and 20 with router-interfaces set
  • Two virtual interfaces, 10 and 20
    • 10.0.10.1/24
    • 10.0.20.1/24
But the computers cannot see each other. I tried to ping the other machine from both machines, but they cannot see reach other. Pinging the switch IP 10.0.10.1 and 10.0.20.1 from the computers works fine. Pinging from the switch to the computers doesn't work. I checked the ARP table from the switch and both computers are there with their IPs and correct MAC addresses. I have tried to disable all firewalls etc. What am I doing wrong or is there something I have misunderstood about this?

View attachment 23037
post the full output of "show run"

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
Now I am able to print the boot log.
Looks like going back to recovery mode is the only way to go.

Starting kernel ...

sd 0:0:0:0: [sda] No Caching mode page found
Mounting file system...
booting with 4.4 kernelsd 0:0:0:0: [sda] Assuming drive cache: write through

NAND Type: Micron NAND 2GiB (x 1)
PLATFORM MN
dd cmd: UBI
Config partition mounted
Resource partition is mounted!!
1 external USB Drive(s)/Partition(s) Mounted..Successfully read the SKU Reg, the value is: 0xff
dma_mem_base: 0x96000000, dma_mem_len: 0x8000000, warm_mem_base: 0x9f500000, warm_mem_len: 0xb00000
Please download UFI image to install packages
/etc/process_packages.sh: line 153: can't create /.pkg/error.log: nonexistent directory
Package installation is incomplete, related functionalities may not be available
Cannot boot FastIron application due to package installation failure
starting console application
server-execvp: python3: No such file or directory

OS>

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
Looks like going back to recovery mode is the only way to go.
I cannot tell what went wrong. Maybe there was an easy way to fix it. Going via recovery mode and reinstall from scratch for me was the easiest way because I had the step-by-step manual on hand. Backup of latest config I also had. All is fixed again.

don't run alpha firmware lmao
... and never change a running system.
Maybe I follow both advises for the future.

• Sad
Reactions: fohdeesha

Chow

Mar 15, 2022
I have a quedtion to the Icx 7250 Switch:

How can i set an uplink port on which are all vlans goes tagged to the other Switch (trunk port) inclusive vlan 1?

I dont know how i can setup this :-( vlan 1 at least is almost untagged :-(

Can anyone help me? What i am doing wrong? :D

kpfleming

Dec 28, 2021
Pelham NY USA

How can i set an uplink port on which are all vlans goes tagged to the other Switch (trunk port) inclusive vlan 1?

Which software version are you using?

It should be possible to remove untagged VLAN 1 from that port and add tagged VLAN 1 (along with all the other VLANs).

Chow

Mar 15, 2022
This is my Software Version:

ICX7250-48 Router>show version

Copyright (c) Ruckus Networks, Inc. All rights reserved.
UNIT 1: compiled on Dec 16 2021 at 03:45:30 labeled as SPR08095f
(33554432 bytes) from Primary SPR08095f.bin (UFI)
SW: Version 08.0.95fT213
Compressed Primary Boot Code size = 786944, Version:10.1.21T215 (spz10121)
Compiled on Wed Aug 25 09:27:31 2021

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com

why do you want to carry tagged vlan 1? vlan 1 shouldn't be used at all really for security and many other reasons, set your main vlan to something else like 10, and carry it tagged across your trunk

Chow

Mar 15, 2022
My Management VLAN 1 is used to manage Server, switch and so on. And on this uplink port is sitting my opnsense router, which have to receive VLAN 1 tagged too, so i can reach everything on my management VLAN.

On my Cisco Switch there is no problem to do so. There it works as expected.

Still the question, how to do this on Brocade / Ruckus :-D