Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
I don't know. I think of the 5800X3D as a "one-shot wonder"

The 5950X is more utilitarian as a jack of all trades, does nothing exceptionally well but all things pretty competently.

I guess I must think so. I own and run 3 of them.

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Ended up going with a used 5950X. €360 including signed-for shipping. Not too bad, now I can move my 3950X to my old system!

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Fairly good deal for the 5950X. I have bought at MSRP, then $200 off, then $300 of MSRP. All run 44.25Ghz all-core at around 1.25V 95% cores loaded 24/7. Temps at around 78-82° C. Ambient at 25-26° C. 13 gpus running.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
So much for that, i'm starting to think i've been scammed. Seller doesn't want to send me a tracking code which feels suspicious as hell to me.

That, and when I replied on his advert on my secondary account he acted like the CPU was still for sale and shortly after that deleted the advert under the guise he got too many bullshit replies to it. All in all, this feels extremely off. Can only hope the guy is legit in the end and has a damn good reason for not sending the tracking code.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Now he deleted all of his adverts, what the **** o_O

God damn I have been having such bad luck with CPUs lately. First that dead 4790S which I am yet to get my money back from, thanks for nothing PayPal, and now this shit. AAAAAAAAAAAAA

I'm giving him until tomorrow 6 PM to give the tracking code otherwise i'm reporting him as a scammer.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Yeah it's official, I have been scammed. PostNL came and went, no CPU. Hope that faggot is happy with the €350 he stole from me. Reported him to Marktplaats but since they're that big of a site (and owned by eBay) they don't give a damn.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
And I ended up just getting a new 5950X from a local store. Christ almighty after all this i'm out almost €1k. Oh well, that 850 T-5R is still a pipe dream for the foreseeable future anyways.

Initial impressions: it runs hot as hell. HOLY SHIT 200 FPS IN GTA V. Waterfox NEVER opened this fast!

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Sorry to hear you got scammed. When a deal seems too good, it is always questionable. I have a teammate who has fallen victim himself for trying to find "great prices".

Yes, the 5950X runs hotter than the 3950X. Doing more work in shorter amount of time = more heat.
80's are normal for the cpu. But it can handle it fine.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Sorry to hear you got scammed. When a deal seems too good, it is always questionable. I have a teammate who has fallen victim himself for trying to find "great prices".

Yes, the 5950X runs hotter than the 3950X. Doing more work in shorter amount of time = more heat.
80's are normal for the cpu. But it can handle it fine.
Buildzoid and many others in his Twitch chat said €350 is a fair price for a 5950X. My guess is that it was a hacked account. Oh well, live and learn I guess.

In other news, someone offered me a (boxed!) 1080 Ti Kingpin with a Bitspower waterblock and the original Kingpin air cooler. Think he'll take my €400 offer? Told myself to quit spending money and now this happens, lol.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Depends on the project I guess. I'm guilty myself of keeping two 1080Ti going in my farm. I had a EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid that the pump died on after 5 years. I already had a EVGA Hydro Copper that I was thinking of mothballing. I have been upgrading to EVGA 3080's recently.

But I thought I could just put a cheap Bykski waterblock on it and pair it with the EVGA HC card. I have it in a dual 360 rad loop coexisting with a 5950X. Defiinitely the hottest cpu I run now. Mid 80's on the cpu.

But it still is competitive on certain projects. Beats out 2070's and 2070 Supers on Milkyway@home tasks. A lot can be said for having 11GB of GDDR5X memory while cards like the 2070 or 2080 only have 8GB of GDDR6 memory.

I would say that is a good deal in fact. I paid a teammate $700 a piece for two of his mothballed 2080 Ti's that he was replacing with 3080 Ti's and 3070 Ti's.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Depends on the project I guess. I'm guilty myself of keeping two 1080Ti going in my farm. I had a EVGA 1080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid that the pump died on after 5 years. I already had a EVGA Hydro Copper that I was thinking of mothballing. I have been upgrading to EVGA 3080's recently.

But I thought I could just put a cheap Bykski waterblock on it and pair it with the EVGA HC card. I have it in a dual 360 rad loop coexisting with a 5950X. Defiinitely the hottest cpu I run now. Mid 80's on the cpu.

But it still is competitive on certain projects. Beats out 2070's and 2070 Supers on Milkyway@home tasks. A lot can be said for having 11GB of GDDR5X memory while cards like the 2070 or 2080 only have 8GB of GDDR6 memory.

I would say that is a good deal in fact. I paid a teammate $700 a piece for two of his mothballed 2080 Ti's that he was replacing with 3080 Ti's and 3070 Ti's.
He declined my €400 offer saying it's lowball, bro you realize the 1080 Ti is a 5 year old card by now, even KPEs lose their value over time.

Bet he'll list it for some stupid amount in the near future lol

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Some people still think we are in a sellers market typified by outlandish eBay pricing on gpus. Current generation cards by both AMD and Nvidia are selling for MSRP now. No issues buying now. Everyone has inventory and are trying to get rid of all the orders the OEM's put in when there was two years of supply chain issues. Now they have excess inventory to clear to make room for the next generation cards dropping 4th quarter this year.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Some people still think we are in a sellers market typified by outlandish eBay pricing on gpus. Current generation cards by both AMD and Nvidia are selling for MSRP now. No issues buying now. Everyone has inventory and are trying to get rid of all the orders the OEM's put in when there was two years of supply chain issues. Now they have excess inventory to clear to make room for the next generation cards dropping 4th quarter this year.
I also spoke to Buildzoid (well, rather someone in his chat) on stream and decided to pass on his card. Am better off not spending money for the foreseeable future. That, and I still have three Precisions waiting on parts. Am going to reshell my M6600, the M6700 Covet has a 3940XM and K5000M waiting at my USA contact, and the M2400 needs a display bezel.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Speaking of janky water cooling builds, I had the genius idea of water cooling my Pentium 4 rig. Drilled two holes in the left backside of the case and am going to attach two Koolance QDC3's to it later.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Speaking of janky water cooling builds, I had the genius idea of water cooling my Pentium 4 rig. Drilled two holes in the left backside of the case and am going to attach two Koolance QDC3's to it later.
Change of plans: am adding two panel mount QDC3s to the case itself which I ordered earlier today. God damn, even with a HSS drill drilling through mild steel is hard.

Last edited:

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
That is why you start with a good, small drill for a pilot hole and then move to a stepped drill bit.

That is the proper tool for cutting larger holes in sheet metal bigger than what is in a standard drill index for holes up to about 1.25 inches.

Anything larger than that you should use a circular hole cutter for the appropriate hole dimension wanted.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
That is why you start with a good, small drill for a pilot hole and then move to a stepped drill bit.

That is the proper tool for cutting larger holes in sheet metal bigger than what is in a standard drill index for holes up to about 1.25 inches.

Anything larger than that you should use a circular hole cutter for the appropriate hole dimension wanted.
I might or might not have screwed up though: I drilled the holes too far to the left, fouling with the case cover.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Another unintended upside of water cooling: I can dry wet clothes with it. Went on some disaster tourism after the heavy rainfall earlier today and had wet feet at the end of the ride.

So out my socks went and on a y-cruncher running system they go!

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I need to find a way to decouple the D5 pump from the Reserator XT's control panel, as the fan dial also interferes with pump voltage.

Think I'll directly connect the pump to the DC jack on the RXT.