Which Tiny/Mini/Micro to Get for a 4K Plex Server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

witchdoctor

May 2, 2022
I am setting up a media center for my home theater. I have devices to play media, I need devices to rip and store media. I want to rip 4K UHD discs with a Tiny/Mini/Micro that will also be my plex server then store the files on a NAS. I am considering a Dell Optiplex 9020 (Intel Core i7-4770 Upto 3.9GHz, HD Graphics 4600 4K Support, 32GB RAM) or a HP Elitedesk 8300 G3 (Intel Core Quad i7 6700 up to 4.0 GHz, 16GB DDR4).
Any suggestions would be helpful, I want to keep the investment under $400 if possible. I will be connecting an external 4K bluray drive to handle the actual discs. Thanks

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
I would get something with a 7th gen CPU or above. That's the oldest generation that will do HEVC 10-bit decoding in hardware, which is what you'll want for UHD Blu-ray playback.

witchdoctor

May 2, 2022
OK, here is what I found, any other suggestions are welcome.:

1) Dell OptiPlex 5050 Mini Tower (Intel Core 7th Generation i5-7500, 16GB DDR4, 256GB SSD) less than $300
2) Lenovo ThinkCentre M710q Tiny Desktop, Intel Core i5 7500T up to 3.30GHz, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe less than $400
3) HP EliteDesk 800 G3 Small Form Desktop, Intel Core 7th Gen i5 7500 3.4Ghz, 32GB DDR4 RAM, 128GB SSD Hard Drive, USB Type C-Less than $400

witchdoctor

May 2, 2022
I appreciate the recommendation and am going to get it, great suggestion!!
Once it arrives I'll post a pic too and the specs.
Thanks zer0sum

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
I'd ensure your HTPC is capable of direct-playing whatever you rip (e.g., recent Apple TV), avoiding transcoding, then your Plex box only needs to direct-stream, very minimal requirements. Why go to the trouble of acquiring and ripping your discs only to transcode them down to poorer quality for viewing?

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Reactions: witchdoctor

witchdoctor

May 2, 2022
I'd ensure your HTPC is capable of direct-playing whatever you rip (e.g., recent Apple TV), avoiding transcoding, then your Plex box only needs to direct-stream, very minimal requirements. Why go to the trouble of acquiring and ripping your discs only to transcode them down to poorer quality for viewing?
The difference between streaming a movie and playing a disc is significant in terms of both SQ and PQ in my setup. I would guess the improvement is about 25% to 30% better playing a disc on my Sony Universal player than streaming from Amazon or Vudu on same. I'll have to compare playing files directly from the PC via the HTPC compared to the Plex app through Amazon apps on the Sony. No way to tell until I A/B it.

This article says direct stream is much preferred so I will try and set it up if needed.Thanks:

Last edited:

Gene

Jan 27, 2016
HP 290 and HP S01 could work too

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
The difference between streaming a movie and playing a disc is significant in terms of both SQ and PQ in my setup. I would guess the improvement is about 25% to 30% better playing a disc on my Sony Universal player than streaming from Amazon or Vudu on same. I'll have to compare playing files directly from the PC via the HTPC compared to the Plex app through Amazon apps on the Sony. No way to tell until I A/B it.

This article says direct stream is much preferred so I will try and set it up if needed.Thanks:

To clarify, I was assuming you'd be ripping + remuxing your DVDs at original quality, so no transcoding for storage on NAS and no transcoding for playback. The online streaming services of course are going to be transcoded to lower quality than what you can view at home with a remux of the original DVD.

witchdoctor

May 2, 2022
To clarify, I was assuming you'd be ripping + remuxing your DVDs at original quality, so no transcoding for storage on NAS and no transcoding for playback. The online streaming services of course are going to be transcoded to lower quality than what you can view at home with a remux of the original DVD.
Yes, that is correct. I didn't realize how much transcoding degrades the quality until you posted that info, great tip. I am getting started by setting up a direct streaming system.

witchdoctor

May 2, 2022
HP 290 and HP S01 could work too
I am shopping and those units are available at pretty good prices.

Sean Ho

seanho.com
Nov 19, 2019
Vancouver, BC
seanho.com
Note that those are SFF rather than TMM/uSFF, which commands a bit of a price premium. HP 290 is 8th gen; S01 is 10th gen, both Celerons whose QSV is just as capable as that of i5 of the same gens. The Celerons are not too shabby for regular workloads, either; far better than an rpi, for instance.

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
It’s not necessary to use a PCIe GPU (e.g. Quadro P620 and up). I’m using a Quadro P1000 in my Lenovo P330 Tiny, however when I tested the 8700T’s iGPU was more than sufficient.

For HEVC 10-bit you need at least a 600 series iGPU (7th gen Intel). For VP9 10-bit you need at least a 700 series iGPU (11th gen Intel, note no i3 in 11th gen/Jasper Lake). On PCIe you need at least a nVidia Pascal (except GT 1030) for HEVC-10 bit and VP9 10-bit.

An alternative to a used TMM is something like an ASUS PN41. The Jasper Lake Celeron/Pentium is more than enough.

witchdoctor

May 2, 2022
So I pulled the trigger on a Lenovo, thanks Zer0sum for pointing me in that direction. It was around $350 and I got it in this configuration:
Lenovo ThinkCentre M720q
10T7 Tiny Desktop Computer
- 1 x Core i5 8400T / 1.7 GHz - RAM 8 GB - SSD 256 GB

I also got a UHD ripping drive to start ripping my collection. I am thinking of just using an external hard drive, anyone have a suggestion for a NAS under $300?

ReturnedSword

Jun 15, 2018
Santa Monica, CA
I made some observations in my Plex storage future upgrade thread how I nearly filled 108 TB on my Synology 8-bay in less than a year doing Blu-ray rips from my collection.

You can start out with an external drive, but you may find yourself quickly filling that up. Commercial “consumer-grade” NAS are hideously expensive. If I didn’t buy my Synology as a gift for a family member who no longer requires it, I would’ve built my own NAS from the start. Between my tendency to over-spec everything, and gentle encouragement from other community members to over kill stuff as well (lol), tbh the cheapest way to do a media library where you have the physical discs is something like MergerFS + SnapRAID.

Do you have some older hardware you can repurpose in the meantime? You can try Open Media Vault, which is basically standard Debian with an easy to use GUI on top where you can easily configure MergerFS + SnapRAID. This probably will work out better than connecting an external drive in the long run.