2U Short Depth with 80mm Fan Wall

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

SligerCases

Mar 19, 2022
Nevada
www.sliger.com
What other requirements you have; motherboard, PCIe cards, storage, power supply, etc?

I was designing some 2U's to put up on Amazon/NewEgg to compete with Rosewill, Chenbro, iStar, etc. and a model with 4x 80mm fans across the front was one of the options. However what I have drawn is only 13" deep for ATX motherboard w/ 6x PCIe slots and an SFX power supply.

CX2130 FRONT.png
CX2130 INTERNAL REAR.pngCX2130 INTERNAL FRONT.png

I was going to make some deeper cases for more storage, full height PCIe cards or 3-slot GPUs, etc.

If you can post more deets on what you want I can probably tie that into one of these designs!

Reactions: zack$

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Supermicro 523L-505B? There are a bunch of Rosewill cases that fit the depth requirements as well.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
What other requirements you have; motherboard, PCIe cards, storage, power supply, etc?

I was designing some 2U's to put up on Amazon/NewEgg to compete with Rosewill, Chenbro, iStar, etc. and a model with 4x 80mm fans across the front was one of the options. However what I have drawn is only 13" deep for ATX motherboard w/ 6x PCIe slots and an SFX power supply.

View attachment 22849
View attachment 22847View attachment 22848

I was going to make some deeper cases for more storage, full height PCIe cards or 3-slot GPUs, etc.

If you can post more deets on what you want I can probably tie that into one of these designs!
I would definitely say deeper than 13". ATX and possible E-ATX with hot-swappable 80mm fans would be ideal. I think 18" is the sweet spot for short depth.

There needs to be space to fit 7 LP pcie slots (swappable with 3 FH pcie slots). This is the whole reason for a fan wall.

Seems to me that to get the above, the PSU is gonna have to go to the front or SFX is the only other option. I don't mind going with the SFX PSU.

Maybe a FlexATX PSU would be ideal but would 81.5mm be to close for a 2U if it's placed upright?

Marsh

May 12, 2013
I brought these iStar chassis about 10years ago.
Model iStarUSA_D-216PWM-SAM01

At the time, I did not know it was custom make to fit SuperMicro boards.
It uses SM flex 1u pws203 PS, front panel connectors plug into SM board without converter.

It has room for 80mm fans mounted on the left side of the systemboard,
there is a 80mm fan mount for the 2.5" drives cage.

My only regret today is that I only purchased 6 these case, I haven't see these cases in years.

Attachments

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
I brought these iStar chassis about 10years ago.
Model iStarUSA_D-216PWM-SAM01

At the time, I did not know it was custom make to fit SuperMicro boards.
It uses SM flex 1u pws203 PS, front panel connectors plug into SM board without converter.

It has room for 80mm fans mounted on the left side of the systemboard,
there is a 80mm fan mount for the 2.5" drives cage.

My only regret today is that I only purchased 6 these case, I haven't see these cases in years.
I had seen this while doing some searches but can't find one anywhere to buy ! Seems that you have a micro-atx MB in there and can fit an ATX MB if you sacrifice the HDD cage. What is also nice is that you have a mix of FH and LP slot options in there.

For my part, I would prefer being able to swap out the 7 x LP slots and replace will FH (which you can do with some of the Chenbro cases).

Its strange that there is nothing on the market to address these needs: ATX case with 7 LP slots in a short depth (with 4 x 80MM fans). How hard can that be to put together?