Wasmachineman's Water Cooling Adventures

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Look at the comment...OP overfilled and got the membrane wet.
Fair enough, but seeing how finicky the leakshield is makes me not want to buy one.

Speaking of buying things: how much of a upgrade is going from a 240mm HWL GTS to a 280mm GTS?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
Fair enough, but seeing how finicky the leakshield is makes me not want to buy one.
Yeah but that doesnt't justify your "AC is overhyped and overpriced shit" statement...

Aquacomputer has very solid quality, just like Watercool. The price tag is a bit hefty sometimes, but definitely justified.

I could understand if you said that about EKWB. Their pricing is insane, but the quality is far away form aquacomputer or watercool (looking at you, plexiglass with stress cracks or very clearly visible machining marks because they tune their CNC programs for throughput and not quality)

Speaking of buying things: how much of a upgrade is going from a 240mm HWL GTS to a 280mm GTS?
Not much, probably not worth the money and effort...

On another note:
If you build a custom loop and spend a lot of money and effort, you should always consider using external radiators, specifically the Watercool MO-RA. There is a whole lot of people doing that (espectially in the German Hardwareluxx forum). I've done it myself and couldn't be happier

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Yeah but that doesnt't justify your "AC is overhyped and overpriced shit" statement...

Aquacomputer has very solid quality, just like Watercool. The price tag is a bit hefty sometimes, but definitely justified.

I could understand if you said that about EKWB. Their pricing is insane, but the quality is far away form aquacomputer or watercool (looking at you, plexiglass with stress cracks or very clearly visible machining marks because they tune their CNC programs for throughput and not quality)

Not much, probably not worth the money and effort...

On another note:
If you build a custom loop and spend a lot of money and effort, you should always consider using external radiators, specifically the Watercool MO-RA. There is a whole lot of people doing that (espectially in the German Hardwareluxx forum). I've done it myself and couldn't be happier
I don't have the space for a MO-RA unfortunately. Well, space enough, just not a proper location to place it.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Having just spent a ungodly amount of time trying to stabilize a OC on my old system, I guess i'm done screwing around for now.

CPU: 4.15 GHz @ 1.325v GET during y-cruncher
GPU: 1337 Mhz @ 1100mV/2125 MHz VRAM with stage 1 timings
Played around with some LLC tweaking and I got 4.2 GHz stable!

Oh, and dialed in my RX480 even more: 1400 MHz @ 1150mV/2150 MHz VRAM stage 1 timings.

Reactions: Keith Myers

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
So i've been playing a shitload of S.T.A.L.K.E.R Anomaly lately because of this AWESOME ingame chat mod and I noticed something strange: my loop seems to run excessively hot. 65C on my 3950X that gets hammered on core #0 because lol STALKER, and the 6900 XT doing about 65c core and 85c hot spot.

Seems high, no? Water temps haven't gone above 39c so far according to my D5 Next.

Reactions: Keith Myers

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
My best 3950's could do 4.3Ghz all-core under load. All of them could do 4.275Ghz all-core loads with no issues. Depends on whether you get a dud die or just the standard mediocre one.

That's not bad for loop temps and cpu temps for a 3950X @ 4.2Ghz. The game is letting the one single core, single thread game boost really push core #0

Reactions: Wasmachineman_NL

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Talk me out of getting a Leakshield. As much that I like to shittalk Aquacomputer for their horrible Aquasuite, there's a Leakshield Standalone for sale on my local classifieds site.

Keith Myers

Oct 10, 2020
Talk me out of getting a Leakshield. As much that I like to shittalk Aquacomputer for their horrible Aquasuite, there's a Leakshield Standalone for sale on my local classifieds site.
The fear of a leaking coolant loop is wildly exaggerated. As long as you put it together right in the first place and leak check the fittings with it turned off and after filling the loop, the loop never leaks. Any leak will be a very slow one and the water will evaporate before it can do any harm. Just check the reservoir fill height periodically to see if it changes and that will be your reason to give the loop a good look see.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I keep wanting to do a water cooling build in the AOpen H500 next to me with old school shit like a Aquacomputer Aquastream and a Zalman WB4, but I don't feel like spending a ridiculous amount of money... decisions, decisions...

Oh, and good news: HWW sent me the right cable and I could return the wrong one free of charge.
Oh dear :^)

Still to do: order a radiator and fittings.

Last edited:

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
HFN should be coming later tonight. I also added a male-female extender to the GPU of my old system so the HFN in that system sits a bit lower/more horizontal.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Can someone recommend me some dirt cheap 10/13mm fittings, or should I just go with EK STC? €5 each though and for a meme build like this, meh.

Ralph_IT

I'm called Ralph
Apr 12, 2021
/home
Can someone recommend me some dirt cheap 10/13mm fittings, or should I just go with EK STC? €5 each though and for a meme build like this, meh.
I bought mine from here, but keep in mind that as weight increases, so does package and handling fees.
They also have an aliexpress shop, but I bought directly from their website.
Barrow and Bykski are fine and regarded as some of the best in quality/price ratio.
I've got a lot of Barrow, some Bykski and 2 or 3 Bitspower (adapters and a ball valve for draining and maintenance). All 3 brands working flawlessly.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
I've always found the XSPC soft tube fittings good enough for me and economical at just $4/each for an 8-pack.
I bought mine from here, but keep in mind that as weight increases, so does package and handling fees.
They also have an aliexpress shop, but I bought directly from their website.
Barrow and Bykski are fine and regarded as some of the best in quality/price ratio.
I've got a lot of Barrow, some Bykski and 2 or 3 Bitspower (adapters and a ball valve for draining and maintenance). All 3 brands working flawlessly.
Thank you both. Think i'll go with EK since I need more stuff from HF anyways.

In other news, my HFN works fine. I did have to steal the cable from my other computer though, the seller included a Aquabus cable which won't work.

Wasmachineman_NL

Aug 7, 2019
Decided not to go through with water cooling the Pentium 4 machine as the case really isn't made for it.

Now for something completely different: New 5800X3D or used 5950X? €500 each.