GIGABYTE MZ31-AR0 REV 1.1 with Epyc Rome / Milan

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Arcanum

Jul 13, 2017
I have a GIGABYTE MZ31-AR0 rev 1.1 and I figure the only diffrence between the revisions of the board is the size of the SOP8 flash for the bigger BIOS.

I bought some MX25L25645 flash chips to replace the original one and just... flash the revision 2 or 3 BIOS onto it to make Rome or even Milan chips work.

Anyone any input on this? I figure revision 2 might actually probably work? Is there anything obvious I am missing? Anything what's diffrent about the boards?

Thanks for any input, I am a smoothbrained idiot with too easy of an access to a soldering iron, so please.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
in the latest BIOS package for the Rev 3.x are two separate flashable 16MB files.
MZ31-AR0_M05_R34
flash_R.rom
flash_M.rom

Arcanum

Jul 13, 2017
Hey you are right. For that one I was counting on the .bin file in the spi_upd folder which I suspect are those two just, well stacked behind each other. Didn't check tho.

nasbdh9

Aug 4, 2019
Refresh rev 3.0 bios directly in bmc to support milan

rev 1 bios=naples
rev 2 bios=naples+rome
rev 3 bios=rome+milan
for mz31

in version
F=naples
R=rome
M=milan

Zhang

Sep 18, 2018
I have a few MZ31-AR0 rev1 boards and I can confirm they work with Rome and Rome ES after flashing the Rome part of rev2 BIOS (Rome ES requires an early BIOS version with AGESA 1.0.0.2). I don't have Milan so cannot test.

One caveat is that I was not able to flash with BMC directly. The BMC has a BIOS signature check and refuse to flash the Rome half of the rev2 BIOS. But I was able to exploit the BMC to force a flash. You can also use a programmer I guess.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
The BMC has a BIOS signature check and refuse to flash the Rome half of the rev2 BIOS. But I was able to exploit the BMC to force a flash. You can also use a programmer I guess.
the single gen files are named
flash_F.rom
flash_R.rom
flash_M.rom
but i realy don't know why they named those files 'flash' :cool:

Arcanum

Jul 13, 2017
I have a few MZ31-AR0 rev1 boards and I can confirm they work with Rome and Rome ES after flashing the Rome part of rev2 BIOS (Rome ES requires an early BIOS version with AGESA 1.0.0.2). I don't have Milan so cannot test.

One caveat is that I was not able to flash with BMC directly. The BMC has a BIOS signature check and refuse to flash the Rome half of the rev2 BIOS. But I was able to exploit the BMC to force a flash. You can also use a programmer I guess.
I have a programmer handy so nice. But how did you flash the rev2 bios onto the smaller chip? Isn't the rom file 32Mb?

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
Man... So I can just choose which generation of cpu I want supported and flash only that one? No soldering required?
yes, works with Rome and should work with Milan too.
do a dump of your old BIOS first(with the programmer)

daCelt

Oct 23, 2023
How can you tell what revision you have? I haven't been able to tell the revision in the ebay listing. I don't know if they'll tell me.

Dm_R

Feb 6, 2024
Hello everyone. I ask for help.
MZ31-AR0 rev1.1 + EPYC 7402p. The system worked with bios mod f18 (from the seller). When updating the bios to f20d, the bios died, the dump was not saved.
Bmc does not work after the update (does not accept the password "password").
Anyone has a dump or firmware .bin file for rev1.1 + rome? for firmware by the programmer.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
MZ31-AR0 rev1.1 + EPYC 7402p. The system worked with bios mod f18 (from the seller). When updating the bios to f20d, the bios died, the dump was not saved.
F20B is Naples only BIOS not rome. you have to flash Rxx or the modded F18(with Rome support) from the seller.

Dm_R

Feb 6, 2024
F20B is Naples only BIOS not rome. you have to flash Rxx or the modded F18(with Rome support) from the seller.
This is understandable.
the seller is in China, they have a new year, holidays...
I can't flash the RBU file bios. There is no access to BMC. I ask for a file in BIN format. For the programmer.

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
I can't flash the RBU file bios. There is no access to BMC. I ask for a file in BIN format. For the programmer.
if you have 16mb RBU file: remove last 16 bytes = bios.bin
if not:
download BIOS package from MZ31-AR0 rev. 3.x
take the file "flash_R.rom" for the programmer.

Dm_R

Feb 6, 2024
if you have 16mb RBU file: remove last 16 bytes = bios.bin
if not:
download BIOS package from MZ31-AR0 rev. 3.x
take the file "flash_R.rom" for the programmer.
thank you very much! I haven't seen this information anywhere

RolloZ170

Apr 24, 2016
thank you very much! I haven't seen this information anywhere
maybe we need to limit PCIe speed to Gen3.

have you first access to the BMCWebGUI and after BIOS flash not ?
or never any access ?

Dm_R

Feb 6, 2024
maybe we need to limit PCIe speed to Gen3.

have you first access to the BMCWebGUI and after BIOS flash not ?
or never any access ?
I broke everything myself earlier -)))
BMC web access was available before the BMC update to ver.12.61.17, the update was successful, but access was lost. The password "sn of the motherboard" and "password" are not suitable.