[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Another issue I've ran into is the smart background long..
Long story short when I first got the drives I downed my working truenas to run some tests first as I didn't have space to test any of the drives with the current machine running. I figured since they already went through the infant mortality period and the little bit of smart data availible showing no errors I ran a short test that completed then decided to run a long test. When it came back over a day I decided I didn't want to have my truenas down that long. So I shut down the system put all of the old drives back in the system and then proceeded to plop a single 10tb drive at a time to expand my pool.
With all of that said, after all of the drives have been inserviced I noticed the background long was not completing and this was about a week after the last drive was inserviced.

With that I started a new test and canceled the old test..

I watched the new test progress and then it reset to 0.0% and never showed complete
minus saying it's waiting on an bms interval timer to expire.
I'm wondering if all 6 drives have to scan 1 at a time then when all 6 are done it will then show completed?
how ever more then 1 drive is scanning at a time so that shouldn't be it.
side note; nothing I can do to abort the current one in progress. -X returns
Abort self test failed [unsupported field in scsi command]

Code:
SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
     Description                              number   (hours)
# 1  Background long   Aborted (by user command)   -   28417                 - [-   -    -]
# 2  Background long   Self test in progress ...   -     NOW                 - [-   -    -]
# 3  Background short  Completed                   -   28250                 - [-   -    -]

Long (extended) Self-test duration: 65535 seconds [1092.2 minutes]
Code:
Self-test results page  [0x10]
  Parameter code = 1, accumulated power-on hours = 28417
    self-test code: background extended [2]
    self-test result: aborted by SEND DIAGNOSTIC [1]
  Parameter code = 2, accumulated power-on hours = 0
    self-test result: self test in progress [15]
  Parameter code = 3, accumulated power-on hours = 28250
    self-test code: background short [1]
    self-test result: completed without error [0]

Background scan results page  [0x15]
  Status parameters:
    Accumulated power on minutes: 1708151 [h:m  28469:11]
    Status: background scan enabled, none active (waiting for BMS interval timer to expire)
    Number of background scans performed: 169
    Background medium scan progress: 0.00 %
    Number of background medium scans performed: 169
Here is da3 which shows what the da2 did when it was "scaning"

Code:
  Parameter code = 1, accumulated power-on hours = 28395
    self-test result: aborted by SEND DIAGNOSTIC [1]
  Parameter code = 2, accumulated power-on hours = 0
    self-test result: self test in progress [15]
  Parameter code = 3, accumulated power-on hours = 28249

Status parameters:
    Accumulated power on minutes: 1706858 [h:m  28447:38]
    Number of background scans performed: 168
    Background medium scan progress: 93.08 %
    Number of background medium scans performed: 168
You can run a long test while the drives are still in use, there is no need to take them offline. Just start the test and take note of the estimated time. Your system can still read and write to them at the same time

heromode

May 25, 2020
If i remember correctly, a long 'offline' test doesn't mean your drives are really offline during the test. It just means they might not have 100% performance during the test, but they are still perfectly usable by your system while the test is running.

edit i think a BMS or Background Medium Scan is a Seagate thing, which is impossible to disable. It will run every time you either power on or even reset your computer. I remember it took about 18 hours to complete with my 8x3TB seagate drives, during which time they ran hot and it was a general pain. Another reason never to use seagate drives.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
Code:
  Status parameters:
    Accumulated power on minutes: 1706858 [h:m  28447:38]
    Number of background scans performed: 168
    Background medium scan progress: 93.08 %
    Number of background medium scans performed: 168
This is not a smartctl function, it's a hardware coded seagate process, and i remember spending weeks trying to disable it with every seagate 'seachest' utility and any other tool that exists on the internet, only to find it is impossible. It will run every time you reset or power on your computer no matter what.

Again, the BMS or Background Medium Scan is a proprietary Seagate process that cannot be stopped, and if you reboot it will start again, and will not stop until it reaches 100%. It has nothing to do with a smartctl self-test at all. There is some 'interval timer' but again, it's all hardcoded into Seagate drives and cannot be disabled any way.

Last edited:

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
Don't have seagate drives anywhere.

as far as the long tests. I understand that can be ran with the drives online and in use..
as I said I started the first one when I did a quick test of the drives by them selfs in the chassis. I then shut the chassis down put in my 12 3tb drives back in the system rebooted the machine then went through and replaced a single drive at a time with the 10tbs in the first 6 disk vdev to expand the pool. How ever the inittial long test I didn't let finish. After all 6 10tbs were in I went with -X to stop the test I had started and ran a new long test but they apear to never complete.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Don't have seagate drives anywhere.
Well then i don't know, i had Seagate nl-sas (nearline-sas)drives that did just this, and it has nothing to do with smartctl, so doing a smartctl -X or whatever the command to stop a smartctl long or short self test will not affect a BMS at all. Plus the BMS will always start again in a reboot and run until it reaches 100%, and cannot be stopped or disabled at all.

try to search internet with BMS and seagate and you should find some info.

Edit with that weird seagate line in your smartctl -x output, plus this BMS scan, you got some weird stuff going on here. I think you need to start doubting everything now and really find out what kinda drives you are running.

edit well now, it's my bad as well. Notice you have HUS drives, not HUH. HUS = no helium. You don't have helium drives at all, and my guess here is, without knowing, that you have some Hitatchi drives that are based on Seagate drives, because of the BMS stuff.

Last edited:

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
I think I've managed to get my self into a bit of an run-a-round situation.
So, the one long test that has been endlessly running as far as the report is concerned isn't actually running. It's a remnent log. Because I started the test but didn't let it finish it just stays in the log but it's not actually running and really isn't important. I started a new -t short and watched it show a new status where it went through then showed complete in the #1 spot and then I started a -t long where its now showing progress.
I think the long showing the 65535 seconds[1092.2 minutes] will stay there as a reference at all times and that was what was tripping me up. I was thinking it was a progress bar and it should be counting down.
How ever running the test again now shows above with x.xx% remaining. It's a reverse counter so 100% down to 0% rather then 0% to 100%

Now as far as the BMS side of things. your redit re-post makes sense. Since it's running and a background not worried about it.
Nothing like trying to figure something out and mistaking something for something else.

Now we just need to figure out why we can't poll the vender specific information. Cause I would very much like to know the helium levels also so as it will be a place holder on when to replace a drive.

Code:
Self-test execution status:             100% of test remaining
SMART Self-test log
Num  Test              Status                 segment  LifeTime  LBA_first_err [SK ASC ASQ]
# 1  Background long   Self test in progress ...   -     NOW                 - [-   -    -]
# 2  Background short  Completed                   -   28470                 - [-   -    -]
# 3  Background long   Aborted (by user command)   -   28417                 - [-   -    -]
# 4  Background long   Self test in progress ...   -     NOW                 - [-   -    -]
# 5  Background short  Completed                   -   28250                 - [-   -    -]

Code:
Self-test execution status:             99% of test remaining
SMART Self-test log
# 1  Background long   Self test in progress ...   -     NOW                 - [-   -    -]
# 2  Background short  Completed                   -   28470                 - [-   -    -]
# 3  Background long   Aborted (by user command)   -   28417                 - [-   -    -]
# 4  Background long   Self test in progress ...   -     NOW                 - [-   -    -]
# 5  Background short  Completed                   -   28250                 - [-   -    -]

heromode

May 25, 2020
I think I've managed to get my self into a bit of an run-a-round situation.
So, the one long test that has been endlessly running as far as the report is concerned isn't actually running. It's a remnent log. Because I started the test but didn't let it finish it just stays in the log but it's not actually running and really isn't important. I started a new -t short and watched it show a new status where it went through then showed complete in the #1 spot and then I started a -t long where its now showing progress.
I think the long showing the 65535 seconds[1092.2 minutes] will stay there as a reference at all times and that was what was tripping me up. I was thinking it was a progress bar and it should be counting down.
How ever running the test again now shows above with x.xx% remaining. It's a reverse counter so 100% down to 0% rather then 0% to 100%

Now as far as the BMS side of things. your redit re-post makes sense. Since it's running and a background not worried about it.
Nothing like trying to figure something out and mistaking something for something else.

Now we just need to figure out why we can't poll the vender specific information. Cause I would very much like to know the helium levels also so as it will be a place holder on when to replace a drive.

Code:
Self-test execution status:             100% of test remaining
SMART Self-test log

Code:
Self-test execution status:             99% of test remaining
SMART Self-test log

#4 is a smartctl long self test that you started.
#3 is that same test you aborted. It will remain in logs forever.

You don't have a helium drive. Your hitachi drive starts with HUS, not HUH. the second H in HUH = Helium.

2022-04-19 01.42.40 documents.westerndigital.com a0b5467c875c.png

once you allow this long self test to complete, it will become # 1 Background long Completed. Don't interrupt it, because it can affect resale value of the drive.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
No all my drives are HUH721010AL42C0's the 10tbs that is
the 3tbs are hus and sata.. I think you probably skimmed on that.
RIGHT :)

And your 3tb drives are the ones with BMS. I admit in the beginning of all this i never checked your model numbers, i just assumed they were all HUH. My bad.

now go check your Helium levels on your HUH drives :)

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
RIGHT :)

And your 3tb drives are the ones with BMS. I admit in the beginning of all this i never checked your model numbers, i just assumed they were all HUH. My bad.

now go check your Helium levels on your HUH drives :)
No the bms is reporting on the 10tb drives. using sg_logs -a /dev/da2-7 [which are my 10tb drives] da8-13 is the 3tb sata drives and they do not report the bms
and all of this was over the 10tb drives will not show helium levels. or the vender specific outputs.

Code:
root@aeronas:~ # sg_logs -a /dev/da8
    ATA       Hitachi HUS72403  A5F0

Supported log pages  [0x0]:
    0x00        Supported log pages [sp]
    0x10        Self test results [str]
    0x2f        Informational exceptions [ie]

Parameter code = 1, accumulated power-on hours = 10584
  Parameter code = 2, accumulated power-on hours = 10498

Informational Exceptions page  [0x2f]
  IE asc = 0x0, ascq = 0x0
    Current temperature = 33 C
    Threshold temperature = 0 C  [common extension]

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
Code:
smartctl -a /dev/da2 | grep Helium
that doesn't work because it doesn't report back the vender specific info. which is what we've been going on with lol..
I referenced my 3tb hgst hus sata drives as they are on the same hba/expander and do show the venderspecific outputs.

I made this over at the truenas forums.

heromode

May 25, 2020
No the bms is reporting on the 10tb drives. using sg_logs -a /dev/da2-7 [which are my 10tb drives] da8-13 is the 3tb sata drives and they do not report the bms
and all of this was over the 10tb drives will not show helium levels. or the vender specific outputs.

Code:
root@aeronas:~ # sg_logs -a /dev/da8
    ATA       Hitachi HUS72403  A5F0

Supported log pages  [0x0]:
    0x00        Supported log pages [sp]
    0x10        Self test results [str]
    0x2f        Informational exceptions [ie]

Parameter code = 1, accumulated power-on hours = 10584
  Parameter code = 2, accumulated power-on hours = 10498

Informational Exceptions page  [0x2f]
  IE asc = 0x0, ascq = 0x0
    Current temperature = 33 C
    Threshold temperature = 0 C  [common extension]
Only your 10tb drives can be helium. hitachi helium drives only exist from 8tb and up.
do smartctl -a | grep Helium on your 10tb drives

pr1malr8ge

Nov 27, 2017
Only your 10tb drives can be helium. hitachi helium drives only exist from 8tb and up.
I understand that.. The 3tb drives were only referenced because they are on the same hba and running a -a will output venderspecific information. Rather then the 10tbs which are sas and they will NOT output helium levels or much of anything when compared to your sata version and my 3tb sata drives.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
do smartctl -a | grep Helium on your 10tb drives
I have a couple of HUH728060AL4200 which are 6TB drives.