Ruckus Wireless as an Unifi alternative?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kiwizz

Jan 9, 2022
Also just found this thread, seems like a few out there like me with ruckus and unifi kit. Silly me went and bought the new unify enterprise 24 Poe+ switch (12 2.5gbe ports) hoping I'd finally solve the issues I've had with my ruckus r750 (randomly stopped working, had isolated it to the Poe injector, was working fine on my Netgear switch with Poe) and get a solid 2.5gb connection. No idea why but it's only negotiating at 1 gig (most of the time, sometimes it comes up at 2.5gig but seems to behave funny). On restart of the ap it initially negotiates at 2.5 gig but then after a few seconds drops and reconnects at 1 gig.... I've also got a r650 connected and haven't had the same issue. Any suggestions as to what could be going on? The only other thing I can think of is the cable but I don't have a tester.

Cheers!

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
any word on the WPA2/3 mixed support for iOS 12? I didn’t see it in Known Issues but didnt see it in resolved issues either
Haven’t seen anything in regards to this, but I think you may be mixing two separate issues (although I haven't seen either in the resolved section).

200.10 - iOS devices that support 802.11r and WPA3 cannot associate to open-WPA23-mixed+802.11r WLAN​

200.11 - iphone 12 fails to associate with WPA3 WLAN.​

upgraded to 200.12 this morning, r750 & r650, and I can tell you my iPhone 13 devices connect fine on my WPA3+802.11r only wlan. I have neither an iPhone 12 nor a WPA 2/3 wlan to test the 2 isues above.

Last edited:

sth

Oct 29, 2015
Running latest Smartzone and AP firmware on r750/r850s (6.1.0.0.1595) and still have issues with mixed wpa2/3 on iPhone 12 refusing to connecting all the time.

Disabled WPA2/3 in the last hour and connections errors dropped to zero.

wpa2:3.jpg

Last edited:

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
I have an R650 which lost power during a firmware upgrade and needs reviving.

But Ruckus seem to have cheaped-out, and are now shipping APs without serial header pins soldered into the holes.

Does anyone have a prefered way of semi-safely doing a temporary connection to the pin holes? I ask because it'd be upsetting if I killed a $400 AP with my sub-par soldering skills.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Why not simply getting something like Amazon.com (or a variant) and make sure its not moving while flashing?
what he said. exactly how I did all the idrac uboot ****ery. stick em in the holes and put a little tension on them so they pull up against the edges of the holes

you sure you're looking at the right spot though and that the header isn't somewhere else on the board? the R750 in my picture should be about the same age as your R650

ms264556

Sep 13, 2021
New Zealand
ms264556.net
you sure you're looking at the right spot though and that the header isn't somewhere else on the board? the R750 in my picture should be about the same age as your R650
I'm pretty sure the header would go in the holes towards the bottom right of the photo below. I fished through the FCC documentation, and that's where they attached their serial cable.

And yeah, I'll use your R750 pinouts (thanks!), and buy a $2 bundle of male<=>female breadboard wires.

R650 innards.JPG

Konger

Nov 24, 2019
I'm pretty sure the header would go in the holes towards the bottom right of the photo below. I fished through the FCC documentation, and that's where they attached their serial cable.

And yeah, I'll use your R750 pinouts (thanks!), and buy a $2 bundle of male<=>female breadboard wires.

View attachment 21728
Oh ms264556,

I have a question. What's the settings to read the serial output on a a Ruckus AP? I have one Ruckus R510 that never really fully boots up and I'm curious about the serial output? It's stuck flashing in red in power. I just get garbage at serial output.

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Latest iphones and samsungs to start with.
Doesn't do much for home user tho, since it mostly aimed at high-density areas from what I understand
Could be helpful if IoT Wi-Fi devices start using it, but don’t hold your breath that is years away if ever. Latest iPhone and other latest apple devices are Wi-Fi 6 though, not 6e. Apple never rides the early adopter bleeding edge on Wi-Fi standards it seems, not unreasonable as by the time that new standard slowly becomes useful it’s basically time for a new device.

koifish59

Sep 30, 2020
Latest iphones and samsungs to start with.
wifi-6 is not the same as 6ghz wifi band :p. I just haven't seen any devices that we can buy that uses wifi-6e and probably won't be at least a few years out until it gets adopted, like Vesalius pointed out.