esxi 6.0 home lab server/workstation - accessing vm

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

vjeko

Sep 3, 2015
Could someone please fill me in on whether there is a free solution (not using Horizon View)
for accessing a specific vm via a zero/thin client (using the server as a workstation) which
has acceptable graphics performance ?

I ask because I am unclear on whether using Horizon View Direct-Connection Plugin and
View clients are free, is PCoIP used and whether I need to watch out for anything
special regarding the zero/thin client ?

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
You don't need horizon view.

On the guest VM, you'll install 2 things (both free): VMware-viewagent-direct-connection and VMware-viewagent

On the remote computer (which you use to access the VM via zero client or RPD). You'll need to install Viewclient (also free).

You can also use RPD to access the VM (RemoteFX).

Graphic performance is a function of what you have as GPU on the guest VM. If you don't have an approved graphic card on your ESXi server, then you have software 3D sVGA. Software 3D sVGA is acceptable for office tasks, youtube video and stuffs.

A step above that you need hardware supported sVGA (in ESXi setup, you'll need quadro 4000 and up). Hardware sVGA you can share a single card with multiple VMs. You don't need to install any drivers on the VM itself.

Best performance is vDGA in PCI pass-thru mode. In this config, you'll need 1 Card per VM.

There are other options with nVidia GRID card but I have no experience with them.

You taked about using "Server as a workstation" which means you'll log onto the guest VM at the ESXi host. In this setup you'll need PCI pass-thru for both your graphic card and the keyboard/mouse. I've never try it with vSGA mode which doesn't make sense since you'll need a dedicated physical port to plug the monitor onto.

Reactions: vjeko

ecosse

Jul 2, 2013
I'm not convinced you can get SVGA on ESXi 6 without a grid card. I'd love to be told otherwise!

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
You maybe thinking about vGPU which requires a GRID card. sVGA is something else completely.

vjeko

Sep 3, 2015
OK, much appreciated ! OK, so direct connection can be made without Horizon View,
but communication is limited to RDP i.e. PCoIP is not possible ?

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
You are correct. I forgot that nvidia does not provide drivers for the quadro cards under esxi 6.

One more reason for me not to upgrade to esxi 6.

vjeko

Sep 3, 2015
Where can I find the free VMware-viewagent-direct-connection and VMware-viewagent ?

vjeko

Sep 3, 2015
Much appreciated ! I downloaded from Google Drive - I wasn't entitled or do not have permissions from VMware.
Is this free software generally only available via a Horizon free trial ?

nk215

Oct 6, 2015
Thank you so much for the files; but when try to install the agent I have a problem, because ask me the ip or host of connection server; someone know what complete in this step? or jump this? thanks again for the help
You can skip the broker check with:

VMware-viewagent-x86_64-7.5.0-8584427.exe /v "VDM_SKIP_BROKER_REGISTRATION=1"

Make a bat file or just type it in the command line.