EU Huawei RH2288H V3 (ddr4/v4) full fronts 187€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tic226

Feb 2, 2017
DE
Did any of you have problems with the packaging? Mine arrived today,I'll let the picture speak for itself.

The server seems to be intact by some miracle..
I received 2 units from them and the boxes also looked a bit ruffled after shipping, but that is due to the shipping company. But the boxes have this hard foam stuff inside which can take quite a beating. The only issue i had was with the vendor themselves (piopartslab); i bought one unit with CPUs and a minimum amount of RAM so they took a barebones platform and 'configured' it. They put warranty stickers on CPU heatsink screws, SAS controller, the LOM in the back, etc. (i guess because of their 3 year warranty) which is idiotic as those are usually customer-servicable parts. I had a problem with the PCIe lanes and DIMMs from one CPU so i voided the warranty and took off the heatsink and discovered that the socket had bent pins in it. Mistakes happen, i get it. But how dense must someone be to let something fall into the open socket and not notice the damage? At least that confirmed to me that their QS is bullshit and if at all, to only buy barebone systems from them so they can stick their warranty stickers where the sun don't shine.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Your name or

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Stupid question again is there an way to Check with some kind of Software if the CPU Work normal? Mine Package was send to an German -> Austria Shipping Company and looked quite good. After inspection i saw the BCP for the rear 2,5" Drives was a little out of place nothing who a good push with my Thumb not could fixed,... ;)
So to everyone who bought it from the Company to it seem the Server got stripped from many usefull Accessory like the SD Card Adapter, TPM,...
And everyone who have the Riser with just 2 PCI-E Slot and the Power connector do the use the "normal" Pinout so I can use a 3rd Party Cable?

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Just run Prime95 for a couple of hours.

EDIT: But IMHO if you can boot and OS is running CPU is fine. Never seen an "unclocked" CPU fail and still booting. This is binary.

Last edited:

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Did any of you have problems with the packaging? Mine arrived today,I'll let the picture speak for itself.

The server seems to be intact by some miracle..
Ive gotten maybe 20 boxes from them now, always that same type box but never been that abused.
But the boxes are a bit flimsy, ive torn a few myself just moving them into the car.

the clear tape id expect is freighter fixing up box a bit after some "almost careful handeling"

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
Hello,
received my server during the weekend. Very well packaged and super clean.

Two 8GB 2400 DIMMs, one HP, one Noname. Samsung and Hynx Chips. However works well with the Dell DIMMs with 2133.

Huawei thankfully unlocked my customer account to download firmwares and drivers for free.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Yes, I submitted a request. It was denied as SN was unknown to huawei. Replied with a screenshot and was unlocked/approved within 10 minutes.
They are suprisingly homelab friendly for being large enterprise.

Beyond full download access ive been assisted on unlocking networking/telco hardware beyond their original licensing also.

Reactions: Xeroxxx and tic226

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Do the servers come with any pcie risers? If so which (barebones or with cpu + ram)
In my case I got the Variant with:
1x 2,5" Drive bay in the Back (who contain NO! Riser Card!)
1x a 2 PCI-E Slot Riser Card with the GPU Power Plugs
On Ebay I saw the replacement to a 3 PCI-E Slot Riser Card.

So everyone now finally I got the Fiber Link! Disclaimer it (seem to) work IN MY CASE (!!!). There is NO SUPPORT, Warenty,... what so ever that it work in your case to! I use a Zyxel Switch who use this Modules:
SFP-SX-D Gigabit Duplex LC 850 nm 0.55 km (601 yd)
Thankfully that Module work in the Huawei Server to so I got an Link between the Server and the Switch.
My Modules are used from Ebay for a very low price.

Xeroxxx

Mar 12, 2020
1x 2,5" Drive bay in the Back (who contain NO! Riser Card!)
1x a 2 PCI-E Slot Riser Card with the GPU Power Plugs
Thats exactly how the server is advertised. Mine has same configuration. However you can remove the 2.5 bay and replace with a PCIe riser card.

So everyone now finally I got the Fiber Link! Disclaimer it (seem to) work IN MY CASE (!!!). There is NO SUPPORT, Warenty,... what so ever that it work in your case to! I use a Zyxel Switch who use this Modules:
SFP-SX-D Gigabit Duplex LC 850 nm 0.55 km (601 yd)
This is only gigabit? You can get those below 10€ (new) on fs.com.
Cisco GLC-SX-MM 1000BASE-SX SFP Transceiver Module - FS

Intel basically easts everything. Tried cisco (10g), hpe (10g) and finisar(1g). Its unrealted to huawei.

• Haha
Reactions: Your name or

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020

tic226

Feb 2, 2017
DE
They are suprisingly homelab friendly for being large enterprise.

Beyond full download access ive been assisted on unlocking networking/telco hardware beyond their original licensing also.
Did you have a direct contact at Huawei?

@Xeroxxx has found out, that there is a much newer BIOS image v5.22 [0] which is not accessible to people with normal customer accounts. All attempts to ask different support channels to provide that image have failed. They all just basically told me 'Go away if you don't have a service contract with us'.
This has soured my view on Huawei's homelab friendliness considerably as the BIOS image v5.15 published for customers on their website is almost 2 years old. Numerous security bugs have been fixed in the newer version.
HPE is my personal benchmark for shitty firmware/support practices but even they publish major firmware updates for free if those contain security related fixes.

[0] Welcome to Our Website

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Everyone who speak Austrian/ Swiss/ German is free to come into a small Chat Group you only need an IRC Client and send me a PM.