[Update: Seller Complaints Accumulating] HGST Ultrastar He10 - 10TB @ $129.95

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
it's very interesting also to see that the amount of data written on these drives are a lot more than the amount read. Wonder what kind of operation they were in to have so much more byte written compared to read.

Reactions: Fritz

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
I had 4 arrive yesterday, all were Jan 2018 with almost 30k power on hours, ~15 start/stop cycles, ~165 TB written. Currently using with an LSI 9207-8i in IT mode. So far so good! Hope they last at least another 30-50k hours.
You can use these with a SAS2 card?

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
it's very interesting also to see that the amount of data written on these drives are a lot more than the amount read. Wonder what kind of operation they were in to have so much more byte written compared to read.
Backups and Chia plotting come to mind.
Guess Chia it isn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: wildpig1234

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
plotting no. farming, probably.

However Chia has only really existed just over a year, and these are much older so who knows what they were used for.

Reactions: Sacrilego

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
That is a lot of DVR movie library to fill up the lot of over 7000 of the 10TB HDD that this seller is selling...lol..
and checking their bay inventory - they have 22570 available as of this post. my guess you might be able to store every single episode of law and order, their spinoffs, ncis & their spinoffs, and probably coronation street! LOL....

so where the heck did they acquire 30K 10TB drives?

Reactions: Almighty and Sleyk

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
and checking their bay inventory - they have 22570 available as of this post. my guess you might be able to store every single episode of law and order, their spinoffs, ncis & their spinoffs, and probably coronation street! LOL....

Good question.

Reactions: Sleyk

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016

Maybe amazon or google or backblaze datacenter?

wildpig1234

Aug 22, 2016
SAS only :|
Perfect it's sas only because the sas drives are built to last for enterprise use, which is why people are not hesitate to use them even though they have hundreds of TB written and many hours of use. Also it makes them in "less demand" for the general population so lower price for us! Most people in the general world and ebay doesn't know how simple it is to get these cheap drives to work by just adding a cheap controller. Let them stick to sata so we can have ours...lol..

Yeah lol, and commercials... there's so many of them that's why these drives are so cheap, they are going to have these for a LONG time.
Not for that long. if he has 30K of these drives and already sold 7K in a few months, these would be all gone in a few more months. There is literally no dropoff in the amount he sold for each week. Hopefullly by then we will have something better. For me, I got enough to hopefully last me close to two more years

Reactions: Sleyk and RayNelson

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Not for that long. if he has 30K of these drives and already sold 7K in a few months, these would be all gone in a few more months. There is literally no dropoff in the amount he sold for each week. Hopefullly by then we will have something better. For me, I got enough to hopefully last me close to two more years
I thought long and hard about going from 8 to 10. I'd be swapping again in a year. While not painful - inconvenient. Why I went to 16. However if I had to build machines for folks this is what I use and those "inexpensive but excellent value" & versatile controllers you reference! ;)f

and I'm keenly watching the inventory diminish.