EU Huawei RH2288H V3 (ddr4/v4) full fronts 187€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
OMG the shipped the Sever Yesterday to the German Company who send it further to Austria. :mad:
Im using this type to put my cache 2.5" ssd drives in 3.5" slot.
Perfect! I will order then.

Can you recommend some Ram? What Type does the Server need so I can look my self. ;)

I also saw the use some Glasfiber Network Card who need the Modules. Hmm I have an Zyxel Switch who can fit the Modules to. How do I know that the 2 Modules work together?

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
I would think a lot of data centers will also be doing the same thing as we are here--looking at the price and looking the other way on everything else...
From the pricing ive seen there is not much to save.

But most of the setups ive seen that are full huawei have majority holders that come from telco, id assume that existing relationship might be somewhat of a reason.
Either from being happy with the reps/service and wanting to keep it to one vendor, or simply being able to push pricing from the existing relationship.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
From the pricing ive seen there is not much to save.

But most of the setups ive seen that are full huawei have majority holders that come from telco, id assume that existing relationship might be somewhat of a reason.
Either from being happy with the reps/service and wanting to keep it to one vendor, or simply being able to push pricing from the existing relationship.
If there's not much of a savings, I think you're right that it has to come from telco relationships and keeping it 'all under one roof'.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Well I need to buy accessory like Ram, Tray and other stuff. When someone who still own can help me find the right Parts I save a lot of Time.

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
Well I need to buy accessory like Ram, Tray and other stuff. When someone who still own can help me find the right Parts I save a lot of Time.
For us to be able to find what you are lloking for, you need to tell us what your plans are. What size memory sticks( size per stick) are you looking for and memory speed? ;)

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
well I hope to look into Ebay and see what is currently available. My Budget is not that big.
The claim to have inside:
16 GB RAM / DDR4
So I dont know in which configuration. 2x 8, 4x 4,...
I would like stick with a reasonable Stick Size I dont know what the current best for the bug is? 1x 8GB? 1x 16GB?
For start I need just 32GB in total to play with many Virtual Machines.

EDIT: Did you know about the Fiber Converter? How do I know the are compatible with my Zyxel one? Are the all "world wide" use the same Protocol? Which one do I need for my Server? I see the have a 10GB/s Card inside if its true. Well its way above what my Network can do but its nice to have. Maybe in the Future I connect my 2 Sever with each other over multiple 10GB Links. So witch Converter Model do I need?
Thanks

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
well I hope to look into Ebay and see what is currently available. My Budget is not that big.
The claim to have inside:
16 GB RAM / DDR4
So I dont know in which configuration. 2x 8, 4x 4,...
I would like stick with a reasonable Stick Size I dont know what the current best for the bug is? 1x 8GB? 1x 16GB?
For start I need just 32GB in total to play with many Virtual Machines.

EDIT: Did you know about the Fiber Converter? How do I know the are compatible with my Zyxel one? Are the all "world wide" use the same Protocol? Which one do I need for my Server? I see the have a 10GB/s Card inside if its true. Well its way above what my Network can do but its nice to have. Maybe in the Future I connect my 2 Sever with each other over multiple 10GB Links. So witch Converter Model do I need?
Thanks
So you can ask the seller in the link what the ram configuration is and you can search to find what the prices are for ddr4.

As far as your other question, you need to do searches on your switch and what it accepts as well look into dac cables.

The reason you're not going to find many answers here is because all your answers can be found by searching, which we have all done and always do when researching our equipment and deals.

Honestly, if you're only starting out with virtual machines, all you need is a laptop with 32GB of ram to start playing with it--you don't need a server like this.

Reactions: Borromini

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Dual-SD module Provides two SD card slots. Each slot supports an SD card of up to 32 GB. SD cards can be used as the boot media of the server. After the iBMC initialization is complete, two SD cards are configured as a RAID 1 array when being detected. You can view the information about the SD cards and RAID 1 array on the iBMC WebUI by choosing System Info > Other Devices, but cannot modify the configuration or manually configure them.
sadly nobody told me before now I have 2 x 64GB SD Cards at Home. :eek:

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
Fair enough.

I would think a lot of data centers will also be doing the same thing as we are here--looking at the price and looking the other way on everything else...

I wouldn't doubt it--but those are called features. :D In all seriousness though, a knife can be used to stab a man and also eat in a civilized fashion--anything can be weaponized in the right hands. And only one country has an actual plan for world domination by 2050, and is making sure to plant as many back doors around the world as possible to help engage a cyberfront prior to an actual physical invasion--the new 'art of war' that has been demonstrated by Russia in the current invasion of Ukraine. To me, equipment like this is the classic trojan horse. And make no mistake, china is taking notes on what to do in their invasion from what's going on right now, playing politics to avoid pissing anyone off or tipping their hand. "A war is coming..." was a just a line from a movie; but make no mistake that another world war is coming.

And personally, I want nothing to do with it--even if that means paying higher prices for only domestically produced goods and avoiding all imports. At least the warlords won't get their funding from my pocket.

You're right that everyone is free to make up their own mind--and using this equipment completely air gapped is probably of no consequence at all. But I'm seeing a bigger picture that I don't like so I stay away from it all. I guess it's voting with my wallet, and it sure is nice to have the freedom to do that. ;)
This is a technical forum. When STH becomes a place to discuss politics stuff? STH admin, any rules on such kind of political comments on STH?
Hope we can keep this forum free of politics. I think most people here just want to get good deals and learn/share technical knowledge and help each other

Last edited:
Reactions: tic226

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
This is a technical forum. When STH becomes a place to discuss politics stuff? STH admin, any rules on such kind of political comments on STH?
Hope we can keep this forum free of politics
Personaly i think as i have previously to secure systems on a national level, that this is one technical aspect that needs to be looked at when choosing what systems to buy. That is why he has valid points, and i think it fits sth just fine. When that is said, i dont think getting this for a homelab would hurt the overall national security(in other ways, than you becoming more inclined to buy a huawei system for work. That could be a security risk, and is something we said no to when they wanted to look at buying huawei for the 5G networks.)

Magnet

Jan 25, 2018
North Florida
I would stay away from this brand. Also, this isn't so much political as human rights.

Huawei has been alleged to play a role in the Chinese government's persecution of the Uyghur population in Xinjiang[198] and other ethnic and religious groups.[4][199] It is also alleged to have forced labour by Uyghurs in its supply chain.[200][5]

You can come to your own conclusions as to any back doors or other stuff their government has done. I still want a secure homelab.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Hope we can keep this forum free of politics. I think most people here just want to get good deals and learn/share technical knowledge and help each other
When equipment like this potentially can be used as a trojan horse as I mentioned--then it is an important technical aspect for us to discuss since security is a big aspect of home labbing. I personally hate politics--sure would be easier if this was just a company making buggy crap as that's a lot easier to steer away from. But because of the nation-state level of involvement in said trojan horse (or other potential backdoors or shady stuff), it becomes political out of necessity, not out of desire.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
You can come to your own conclusions as to any back doors or other stuff their government has done.
How about the Genocide in Palestine Territory?
Or when the US Killing innocent People by Drone?
Saudi Arabia, Qatar,... are push Homosexual People from the Roof...
Sorry show me one Country who make everything rite!

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
sssooooo
I picked up my Server today from the Shipping Company.
Hmm I dont know if its good or bad it seem I have this riser card:
without the GPU Power Cable. Are there some Spare, Generic one maybe to molex to power an USB Card?

I also have this Ram inside: Dell 4GB (1x4GB) PC4-17000PR 1Rx8 Server Memory - Y8R2G
Hmm does the Server even support such a fast ram?!

EDIT: So I have 2x 12 Ram Slots that mean max 96GB Ram. :eek: I would say its enough for many thinks.
Is there a cheap source to get some?

Last edited:

dbTH

Apr 9, 2017
sssooooo
I picked up my Server today from the Shipping Company.
Hmm I dont know if its good or bad it seem I have this riser card:
without the GPU Power Cable. Are there some Spare, Generic one maybe to molex to power an USB Card?

I also have this Ram inside: Dell 4GB (1x4GB) PC4-17000PR 1Rx8 Server Memory - Y8R2G
Hmm does the Server even support such a fast ram?!

EDIT: So I have 2x 12 Ram Slots that mean max 96GB Ram. :eek: I would say its enough for many thinks.
Is there a cheap source to get some?
This server appears to support upto DDR4 2400 MT/S (PC4-19200) speed RAM, depending on your CPU ( Xeon E5 V3 or V4) . It's cheap to get such speed RAM. The higher speed and larger capacity RAMs are usually more expensive. The smaller capacity such as 16GB DDR4-2133 (PC4-17000) ECC Reg module is abundant and cheaper. You could easily get it between USD $30 and $35 each in NA, and could be less if you buy a lot