1U Supermicro Server 6x 10GBE RJ45 X10SLH-LN6TF LGA 1150 H3 X10SLH-N6-ST031

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zedalert

Feb 2, 2022
- one of the X540 (closest to the IPMI/COM) is hot even in standby
UPD I think this is a normal behaviour since IPMI has Share/Failover settings allowing one of the 10G ports for a remote control, so this X540 chip is always powered up and even it's own BIOS chip is marked with blue dot, not like the two others with red marks.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Just yesterday I retired my x10slh-ln6f as my home router.

It was working great with opnsense. But with the really expensive electricity prices averaging almost 50c per kwh (San Diego), I did the arithmetic and it was over 20 bucks a month to have the pleasure of running it 24/7 with it idling at 60w usage. :(

Erlipton

Jul 1, 2016
Just yesterday I retired my x10slh-ln6f as my home router.

It was working great with opnsense. But with the really expensive electricity prices averaging almost 50c per kwh (San Diego), I did the arithmetic and it was over 20 bucks a month to have the pleasure of running it 24/7 with it idling at 60w usage. :(
What CPU did you have running in it? I see several on ebay that appear to come with a 1270v3, but wondering what a 1220Lv3 (or whatever the model is for that gen) might do in performance vs cost savings

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
What CPU did you have running in it? I see several on ebay that appear to come with a 1270v3, but wondering what a 1220Lv3 (or whatever the model is for that gen) might do in performance vs cost savings
e3-1225v3
but previously I had a Celeron. Idle consumption was about 60W with either cpu, only consumption under loan changed.

Previously I had tried disabling with 10gb ports with the jumpers, and it was still maybe 50W.
the main non-adjustable power consumption on the board is, presumably, the PLX switch for the LAN ports, combined with the ipmi.

zedalert

Feb 2, 2022
It's idle is high due to the three X540, they consume maximum power all the time even without full 10G load. Sadly this happens to the most of 10G controllers, their idle and full load has almost no difference.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
and even after you disable the x540's wth jumpers, the power consumption only slightly drops.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
and even after you disable the x540's wth jumpers, the power consumption only slightly drops.
Search for my posts in this thread. I did a full test with a Kill-a-Watt on a floating UPS. IIRC, each chip lowered consumption by 6-8Watts each. All three off consumes in the low 40s I think (on mobile driving, can't search right now). Correct in a post 7 or 8 down below.

Last edited:

penguinslovebananas

Sep 25, 2020
Just received mine recently shipped through mail forward to RU. It has some weird behaviour:
- channel A slots do not accept any memory and post 55 with 4 beeps
- thumb drive in the USB3.0 port can freeze other USB devices
- IPMI port blinks with green and amber in rotation, like it's non-stable 1Gb, but it is not
- one of the X540 (closest to the IPMI/COM) is hot even in standby

It has had some issues with keyboard input, e.g. in Ubuntu KB was working only in the system menu, not in terminal or gedit until you press Hotplug from the KVM menu.
I will add that my board has some unusual USB behavior as well. I have experienced the same issue with using a keyboard or mouse in a certain port can cause other ports to stop responding. Since mine is setup as a headless NAS if I need to use usb, I typically use the internal port on the motherboard if I need the 3.0 speeds and when I plug in my kvm it only uses one port so I use one of the usb 2 ports on the back and this has always worked. I usually run into problems when I try to use the front and back 3.0 ports at the same time.

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
so I think I'm sadly going to retire my motherboard. The electricity cost (San Diego is now as expensive as Europe) isn't worth the performance that I'm not really taking advantage of (I don't have Cat6 wired in my house).

I'll get around to making a post over in the for sale forums, but if anyone is looking for one of these boards, or even my funky old HTPC case that is a perfect fit for it, please feel free to hit me up.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
so I think I'm sadly going to retire my motherboard. The electricity cost (San Diego is now as expensive as Europe) isn't worth the performance that I'm not really taking advantage of (I don't have Cat6 wired in my house).

I'll get around to making a post over in the for sale forums, but if anyone is looking for one of these boards, or even my funky old HTPC case that is a perfect fit for it, please feel free to hit me up.
Aren't we looking at most 30 watt extra power usage over a system that would be using x10sll-f given that x10SLH-LN6 consumes ~60watt? IIUC, we can actually knock that off another 10-15 watt by disabling the x540 chipset via jumpers.

My GS724tV4 is consuming ~25watt and this system is not an efficient solution as a switch but I use it also my windows file server (accessing my movies, music etc) and chia mining head. Although it is set up as 10G switch, I don't use that functionality a lot.

One good thing about x10SLH-LN6, it can work with regular DDR3 chips. For some reason, X10SLL-F only works with ECC DDR3, and they are hard to find.

Last edited:

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
Aren't we looking at most 30 watt extra power usage over a system that would be using x10sll-f given that x10SLH-LN6 consumes ~60watt? IIUC, we can actually knock that off another 10-15 watt by disabling the x540 chipset via jumpers.
When I did my test with the unit, disabling the NICs only dropped the wattage from 60W to 50w. (not as big a drop as eduncan reported).

But, I realized the only feature I really needed in my opnsense setup was to be able to use a tweaked out dnsmasq setup. I figured out how to do this on my Netgear R7800, which was already turned on anyway as a wifi access point. And 60W savings is over $20 a month with my new expensive electricity costs.

a dagger in the heart of my nerd ego, but a boon to the pocketbook.

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
When I did my test with the unit, disabling the NICs only dropped the wattage from 60W to 50w. (not as big a drop as eduncan reported).

But, I realized the only feature I really needed in my opnsense setup was to be able to use a tweaked out dnsmasq setup. I figured out how to do this on my Netgear R7800, which was already turned on anyway as a wifi access point. And 60W savings is over $20 a month with my new expensive electricity costs.

a dagger in the heart of my nerd ego, but a boon to the pocketbook.
Found my old post and corrected the numbers:

57-60W idle with Intel power savings once all NICs are turned off.

If you turn off the BMC, you save another 13W and the system idles around 45W.

Only thing left using power would be the power-supply's PDU (around 2-3W), and the PSUs themselves as they draw 5 to 6w idle.

So yeah, if you want "server features", such as the BMC, it is going to cost ya.

Reactions: abq

EasyRhino

Aug 6, 2019
oh wow I didn't even realize that the BMC was disable-able.

of course if you disable all the NICs and the BMC, you're just left with a Haswell board with not many pcie slots /shruggie

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Hello, is this link by chance down? no worries, just thought it might be an easy fix? Thx :)
Working for me from my phone, which is not associated with anything I control. Blocked on your end maybe?

zedalert

Feb 2, 2022
I will add that my board has some unusual USB behavior as well. I have experienced the same issue with using a keyboard or mouse in a certain port can cause other ports to stop responding.
I can't make it boot from USB3 with my Zalman VE350 HDD/DVD emulator: Windows images do not even start to boot, Linux distributions give a console full of dev/fs/io errors. No problems with USB2.
Hello, is this link by chance down?
For me this link does not work if I open it from the forum, but when I copy and paste it manually in the new tab it works. Seems like the website does not like referer header.