EU Huawei RH2288H V3 (ddr4/v4) full fronts 187€

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Huawei RJ2288H v3 CTO boxes.
- ddr4/intel v4
- dual 10g + sas hba included that is 7.0 supported
- 2x 2.5" rear and 12x3.5 or 25x2.5" front (listed as 24x2.5" but bays are from 0 to 24)
- Lets you register for full downloads as homelabber if you contact support

Their equivalent of a r730xd or dl380 gen9
Huawei is not the most common/popular in labs, but dang that price for that gen with those fronts.

Just picked up 4 of the 2.5" at 140€/ea offer, previusly got 3 of the 3.5" at 150€/ea offer ("ex.vat. export" as offer since im not eu)

2.5" model - 3.5" model

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
What does the CPU and Ram cost?
Sadly I need an "Backup" Server to my HP who I can play around without disturb the Software who run 24/7.
So I "just" need 2,5 HDD Caddy, Ram, CPU thats it?
Thanks sorry for the Stupid question.

EDIT: I have 2 Radian Cards, a USB 3.0 Card
And I would like VMWare or Proxmox.

Ebay de have also an Discount Voucher: PIO2022001

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
What does the CPU and Ram cost?
Sadly I need an "Backup" Server to my HP who I can play around without disturb the Software who run 24/7.
So I "just" need 2,5 HDD Caddy, Ram, CPU thats it?
Thanks sorry for the Stupid question.
caddy/hdd/ram/cpu and you are good to do.

E5-2683 v4 with 16c/32t at around 90$ is probably the most bang for the buck on cpu.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
here the slightle more:
Code:
https://www.ebay.de/itm/133951724891
with 12 bays. What does LFF mean?
For 100€ 2 CPU, Ram and the front Trays.
3,5 are perfect when i want upgrade to a nas. I also have a Nas Box so HDD wise its no problem.
The Business SSD use SAS.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Here is a bigger Picture:
So I can use the 2 Single Short, Small Slot for the Radian Cards?
Like:
I guess 1x Full Size get use by the Raid? Well when we talk about Raid I have an Spare LSI, Agaio, Broadcom Card here with 2x SSFT or how the called Ports the one who are normally use by the Internal Expander.
My HP Server use currently 2x X5560 CPU. How does the CPU is in comparission with the in the 3,5 one?

EDIT: I see I need also an Network Card?

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
with 12 bays. What does LFF mean?
LFF is 3.5" and SFF is 2.5" (Large/Small- Form Factor)
I see I need also an Network Card?
For regular gigabit rj45 you will need to install a network card, ive done that myself for esxi management.
It comes with 2x sfp+ 10gig ports.
From X5560 the E5-2640 v3 will be a solid leap forward, if you can manage on a X5560 now the 2640 v3 will be more than plenty.

• Love
Reactions: Your name or

Sogndal94

Senior IT Operations Engineer
Nov 7, 2016
Norway
How is the noice from these compaired to dell and HPe? (my dell r72-30 and hpe dl380 gen9 does not make alot of noice.)

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
How is the noice from these compaired to dell and HPe? (my dell r72-30 and hpe dl380 gen9 does not make alot of noice.)
they have less noice than the dl380 g9/g8 units that i have now replaced with huawei.
Huawei has gone with 4 larger fans rather than the 6small for their fan row.

Reactions: Sogndal94

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
sry i feel very stupid now...

Its that possible?
Maybe even possible to put my spare 1 Slot GPU Inside?

So would you say its a good deal for me?
You have 3 full height slots and 2 low profile slots.
GPU might fit depending on how deep it is, but if it needs power from more than just slot im not sure if there is spare6/8pin on motherboard to use.

sorry for the stupid question again can i use that adapter: Delock Produkte 18205 Delock Einbaurahmen 2.5″ zu 3.5″
to put a 2,5 SSD into the 3,5 slot?
Im using this type to put my cache 2.5" ssd drives in 3.5" slot.

• Love
Reactions: Your name or

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Huawei is not the most common/popular in labs, but dang that price for that gen with those fronts.
Personally, I don't know if I could trust this brand. I've read enough about their router backdoors that I would simply avoid it if it's going to have any sort of physical connection to any type of network access. As an isolated compute node, sure why not. But connected in any way, even just kvm, I just wouldn't...

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Personally, I don't know if I could trust this brand. I've read enough about their router backdoors that I would simply avoid it if it's going to have any sort of physical connection to any type of network access. As an isolated compute node, sure why not. But connected in any way, even just kvm, I just wouldn't...
On the networking hardware they are indeed almost as bad as cisco when it comes to backdoors.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
On the networking hardware they are indeed almost as bad as cisco when it comes to backdoors.
Not sure if you meant this in jest or for real.

If you're standing up to say they're solid, then this whole post now has a whole new level of shady imo...

Cruzader

Jan 1, 2021
Not sure if you meant this in jest or for real.

If you're standing up to say they're solid, then this whole post now has a whole new level of shady imo...
Id call it a mix of jest and real i suppose :)
What brands people consider solid or not is upto people to decide themself.

With the number of entities handling sensitive data running huawei servers, im just gone assume they have done a better research/check than what i can do.

As for the somewhat real part.
China is not even close to the US when it comes to being caught placing backdoors in hardware, especially with cisco.
But its only a topic when it comes to chinese hardware.
That i always find interesting/amusing.

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Id call it a mix of jest and real i suppose :)
What brands people consider solid or not is upto people to decide themself.

With the number of entities handling sensitive data running huawei servers, im just gone assume they have done a better research/check than what i can do.

As for the somewhat real part.
China is not even close to the US when it comes to being caught placing backdoors in hardware, especially with cisco.
But its only a topic when it comes to chinese hardware.
That i always find interesting/amusing.
Fair enough.

I would think a lot of data centers will also be doing the same thing as we are here--looking at the price and looking the other way on everything else...

I wouldn't doubt it--but those are called features. :D In all seriousness though, a knife can be used to stab a man and also eat in a civilized fashion--anything can be weaponized in the right hands. And only one country has an actual plan for world domination by 2050, and is making sure to plant as many back doors around the world as possible to help engage a cyberfront prior to an actual physical invasion--the new 'art of war' that has been demonstrated by Russia in the current invasion of Ukraine. To me, equipment like this is the classic trojan horse. And make no mistake, china is taking notes on what to do in their invasion from what's going on right now, playing politics to avoid pissing anyone off or tipping their hand. "A war is coming..." was a just a line from a movie; but make no mistake that another world war is coming.

And personally, I want nothing to do with it--even if that means paying higher prices for only domestically produced goods and avoiding all imports. At least the warlords won't get their funding from my pocket.

You're right that everyone is free to make up their own mind--and using this equipment completely air gapped is probably of no consequence at all. But I'm seeing a bigger picture that I don't like so I stay away from it all. I guess it's voting with my wallet, and it sure is nice to have the freedom to do that. ;)