Renderfarmer's DIY Render Farm

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
I'm actually working on building my version of a Render Farm for work. I say my version since it will be used to generate a map cache for maps hosted in ArcGIS for Server. Nowhere near as nice as what you have, but it will drop our times for some of the maps from multiple days to a single day (based on current calculations). Caching aerial images with other GIS data overlayed sucks.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
I'm actually working on building my version of a Render Farm for work. I say my version since it will be used to generate a map cache for maps hosted in ArcGIS for Server. Nowhere near as nice as what you have, but it will drop our times for some of the maps from multiple days to a single day (based on current calculations). Caching aerial images with other GIS data overlayed sucks.
Where is the build thread. With that kind of performance change I'd imagine amazing ROI.

smccloud

Jun 4, 2013
Where is the build thread. With that kind of performance change I'd imagine amazing ROI.
No thread yet, waiting on approval first. For some reason, spending $15k on 5 servers & one switch takes a while to get approval for. Plus I have a little more internal testing to do on my VM cluster.

Jeggs101

Dec 29, 2010
No thread yet, waiting on approval first. For some reason, spending $15k on 5 servers & one switch takes a while to get approval for. Plus I have a little more internal testing to do on my VM cluster.
That is extremely reasonable.

MercurialSpectrum

Aug 25, 2015
I'm not usually the one to necro a post but this one is really interesting. I'm quite a newbie at Render farm network architecture can someone help ? I know that the master server holds all the licensing information and render queue's. But how does the slave interact with that information and distribute the renders ? do you need to install the same software on every slave machine, to allow rendering, for example Maya ?

I'd really like it if someone would help me out with this ? I'm still new to render farms so I'm confused, since I want to make a render farm