SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yea, I'm on the lookout for a rear cage. Just waiting for a deal to come along.

i386

Mar 18, 2016
Germany
How in the hell. They made an NVMe version?
Yes, there are a few new storage items that are not listed yet in the accessories category on their website.
826/216 nvme pcie 4.0 rear kit (it probably has retimers): MCP-220-82620-0N
836 nvme rear kit:MCP-220-83609-0N

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
What kind of condition are these arriving in for ya'll? All SAS3 expander backplanes and the rear 2.5" cage? I'm bummed that one of mine didn't have the SAS3 expander or cages, although the seller refunded me $90 for that lil issue.

But more than anything was the fact one of the chassis is kind of warped. It's not really noticeable unless you look at it from the rear and the little bit of resistance when you slide it into the rack since every angle isn't quite squared up. Another had a bent lid in the rear. Not deal breakers, but just annoying. The 2 I ordered were just kinda tossed in a box with the foam on the bottom and top that you would find in a brand new server box, not the heat-expanding foam like the inset foam.
You're definitely right. For this I went off the pics since I figured they took a pic of one and checked others that ended up being identical. It probably doesn't matter, but all of my hardware is 12G capable so I wanted it to be consistent, especially since you can cascade that rear 2.5" cage to the backplane instead of having to hook up another HBA.
I've bought a decent amount of stuff (for me at least) from this seller. I've gotten a couple things damaged, or with missing parts, or not quite as they were listed, and they always made some sort of accomodation when things weren't right. Overall, I'd say I got extra stuff that they didn't mention in the listing more often than I've had missing/damaged items. Luck of the draw I guess.

I've gotten several chassis from them (not the one in this thread) and they've all been packed with recycled foam inserts that were obviously for other systems and with extra foam bits tucked in to make it "tight". The one time I had damage, a power supply in a 2U chassis got "bent" on the end, they sent a replacement 2nd day Fedex to me on the other side of the country.

And then they called me on the phone to check up that I got it and was happy with them. I've never had that happen.

Emulsifide

Dec 1, 2014
I just got mine in the mail after snagging one Monday morning (they're stocking these on a regular basis as they strip the CTO server down). 2 x PWS-920P-SQ and BPN-SAS3-826EL1 are present, but no plastic shroud or rear drive bays. I also got all 12 x 3.5" hard drive cages with one that has a 2.5" adapter for an SSD.

Mine was shipped in the original box and was a Unitrends 8024S backup appliance.

Fair warning....I was able to shake out 5 loose screws, which were mostly lodged between the drive cages and drive backplane. They're all motherboard screws. One of them had made it into the top power supply, so be extra careful to inspect yours prior to energizing the chassis.

Last edited:

LoneGeek

Sep 13, 2020
I got my second chassis. I also got 11 x 3.5" hard drive cages. One drive bay is somehow damaged. A drive cage doesn't fit in there without applying force, although there are no visible signs of damage.

I do not see any reason to complain because I got extra drive cages worth $60.

RacerX

Nov 30, 2018
I would guess that the drive bay is a little bent. Some of my trays stick a bit when i try to take them out on the 4u chass

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I got my second chassis. I also got 11 x 3.5" hard drive cages. One drive bay is somehow damaged. A drive cage doesn't fit in there without applying force, although there are no visible signs of damage.

I do not see any reason to complain because I got extra drive cages worth $60.
Have you tried a tray with a drive in it? Sometimes, if your chassis isn't perfecly square and you insert an empty tray, the tray arm on one side will start "dragging" on one side first. With no drive to add rigidity, the tray then starts going out of shape a bit too and that makes the sticking even worse. You'll probably still have some sticking with a drive in the tray, but it might not be as bad.

Reactions: Brian Puccio

nick58b

Nov 4, 2015
I got one from the last batch of 8. It came with the two 920SQ PSUs, SAS3 backplane, 12 x 3.5" trays (one with a 2.5" adapter), and the rear cage with 2 x 2.5" trays. No plastic shroud. No damage that I've noticed. I did find a couple loose screws in the chassis (thanks for the warning @Emulsifide).

Thanks for posting @Fritz

I'm off to buy a SAS3 HBA and power extension cables.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I got one from the last batch of 8. It came with the two 920SQ PSUs, SAS3 backplane, 12 x 3.5" trays (one with a 2.5" adapter), and the rear cage with 2 x 2.5" trays. No plastic shroud. No damage that I've noticed. I did find a couple loose screws in the chassis (thanks for the warning @Emulsifide).

Thanks for posting @Fritz

I'm off to buy a SAS3 HBA and power extension cables.
You did indeed get lucky. I'm on the lookout for a rear cage for mine. Supermicro has the best price I've found but I'm hoping a used one properly priced will pop up on eBay. I'm in no hurry so I'll just wait it out.

Reactions: nick58b

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I'm on the lookout for a rear cage for mine. Supermicro has the best price I've found but I'm hoping a used one properly priced will pop up on eBay. I'm in no hurry so I'll just wait it out.
I've been watching too! But, at this point I don't have enough drives to fill the chassis with no rear cage, so I'm just going to fabricate a dummy cover to fill the hole (SM doesn't stock the Dummy Covers and Ebay didn't have any either that I could find).

$56.62 shipped is the best price(s) I've found so far for a Rear Drive Cage assembly. All up, it's about $32 less than SM, with the caveats that they're used, and have the 6G backplane. If you want/need new or 12G, then its probably a deal breaker though.

($49 shipped): Cage Assembly without trays Supermicro 2.5" Rear Hard Drive Kit MCP-220-82616-0N - SAS3 672042212927 | eBay

($3.81 ea, need two): Drive Tray SuperMicro 2.5" Server Hard Drive SSD Hot Swap Tray Caddy Cradle SAS SATA Screws | eBay

So, $56.62 Shipped for Cage and 2 trays.

I've bought trays from the 2nd seller (I'm not affiliated) and can confirm they fit in a rear drive cage. Both sellers are in California so you should get them quick if you're in a hurry :D

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I've been watching too! But, at this point I don't have enough drives to fill the chassis with no rear cage, so I'm just going to fabricate a dummy cover to fill the hole (SM doesn't stock the Dummy Covers and Ebay didn't have any either that I could find).

$56.62 shipped is the best price(s) I've found so far for a Rear Drive Cage assembly. All up, it's about $32 less than SM, with the caveats that they're used, and have the 6G backplane. If you want/need new or 12G, then its probably a deal breaker though.

($49 shipped): Cage Assembly without trays Supermicro 2.5" Rear Hard Drive Kit MCP-220-82616-0N - SAS3 672042212927 | eBay

($3.81 ea, need two): Drive Tray SuperMicro 2.5" Server Hard Drive SSD Hot Swap Tray Caddy Cradle SAS SATA Screws | eBay

So, $56.62 Shipped for Cage and 2 trays.

I've bought trays from the 2nd seller (I'm not affiliated) and can confirm they fit in a rear drive cage. Both sellers are in California so you should get them quick if you're in a hurry :D
Thanks. Just ordered the used one. I already have caddies so that's not an issue. I've been searching by part # and this one did not come up.

Reactions: Markess

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I've been searching by part # and this one did not come up.
Yeah, I had what I think was a pretty extensive search, including both the 12G and 6G part numbers & also duplicated but ending in with "ON" instead of "0N", which I've seen lots of sellers do with other SM parts for some reason:

(supermicro,SM) (mcp-220-82616-0n,mcp-220-82616-on,mcp-220-82609-0n,mcp-220-82609-on,rear) -samsung -galaxy

That got me some extra hits to sift through, but I'm pretty sure I found all the rear drive cages!

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah, I had what I think was a pretty extensive search, including both the 12G and 6G part numbers & also duplicated but ending in with "ON" instead of "0N", which I've seen lots of sellers do with other SM parts for some reason:

(supermicro,SM) (mcp-220-82616-0n,mcp-220-82616-on,mcp-220-82609-0n,mcp-220-82609-on,rear) -samsung -galaxy

That got me some extra hits to sift through, but I'm pretty sure I found all the rear drive cages!
Yea, ignorance and typos, etc. Are what makes eBay such a treasure hunt. I prefer it that way.

6G is good enough for me. For now anyway.

LoneGeek

Sep 13, 2020
Have you tried a tray with a drive in it? Sometimes, if your chassis isn't perfecly square and you insert an empty tray, the tray arm on one side will start "dragging" on one side first. With no drive to add rigidity, the tray then starts going out of shape a bit too and that makes the sticking even worse. You'll probably still have some sticking with a drive in the tray, but it might not be as bad.
I've fixed it a couple of hours ago. A chassis was bent (most likely dropped). It turned out that SM chassis is made from soft metal which can be easily fixed with leverage pliers. SM doesn't use high carbon steel )

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
I just noticed the rear cage I ordered is a 12G SAS/SATA. Means I can add another 2.5 SAS drive in addition to the SATA boot drive. I recently picked up a 1.6TB Toshiba SAS SSD and now I'll have a home for it.

Reactions: Markess