Meraki MS220-series FOSS firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Can I use the normal cisco commands in the cli?
No, the command line is a standard embedded Linux command line (busybox sh). The firmware does not implement any switch configuration interface from vendors like Cisco, HP, 3com, Ruckus, <insert vendor here> etc. Cisco use the click modular router for their Meraki products, for which there is no public documentation and the reverse engineering effort is ongoing.

And how do I access the cli after flashing?
SSH or uart connected directly to the switch.

I feel like a broken record for saying this, but given your questions I feel the need to set your expectations accordingly. This is a firmware still under heavy development. There is no management UI. There is no command line similar to any other switch you have.

ChrisCode

Jan 18, 2022
Hamburg
This is a firmware still under heavy development. There is no management UI. There is no command line similar to any other switch you have.
Ok, this might be to difficult for me than, I only have a CCNA and some basic Linux skills.
I have no clue how I would configure something like vlans, poe and port security using this firmware.
Thanks for the help anyway, I really apprechiate your effort to make this possible!

apauna

Sep 23, 2022
So, is there and CLI help for the PostmerkOS? Just flashed my Meraki today on have it running but not sure about things like VLAN, LAG, etc..

I know it is busybox just that this is the first time I have used busybox so I am not at all familiar with this flavor. Also, I have not done much of that on linux that much just some Debian such as /etc/network/interfaces etc.. Is that the best way to approach this box? Oh, so much to learn and so little time.

Once I am more familiar I would like to contribute to the furtherment of this OS wow it is a quite switch compared to the Readstone that I am also attempting to put new firmware onto.

Oh, @hmartin thanks for the great effort you have already put into this OS and very great documentation to get this far!!!

Last edited:

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Very polite BUMP
Any news on this would be appreciated
What kind of news are you expecting? It works, it's mostly stable. Feature-wise, it sucks, but what can you do?

So, is there and CLI help for the PostmerkOS? Just flashed my Meraki today on have it running but not sure about things like VLAN, LAG, etc..
No, not really. Poke around /click and take a look at /etc/init.d/S10clickconfig to get a better idea of how configuration works. If you figure out how to configure it for your use case, please let me know so we can write some documentation on how Click works as it's very obscure.

nekocentral

May 18, 2021
Sorry for the Bump, i wonder how hard it would to get this also working with a ms120-24p as i can mabye get one cheap soon

dermotkirk9

Nov 18, 2023
I am looking for people who are willing to test a FOSS firmware for the Meraki MS220 (MS22, MS42, MS320) series switches.

Background:

The current state of the firmware:
  • Modified RedBoot bootloader
  • Kernel 3.18.123 compiled from Meraki GPL source (see switch-11-22-ms220 GitHub repository above)
  • buildroot-based userspace
  • Loads all the kernel modules needed to manage the ASIC
  • Network connectivity to the management CPU is broken because Click is not correctly configured to pass traffic to userspace
    • I would really appreciate help debugging this!
  • Switch will DHCP after booting and start an SSH server
If you have this hardware and are interested in participating in development of a FOSS firmware that you can use to locally manage the switch without a license, please reply or send me a DM and I'll pass along the GDoc with installation instructions and the current build from master.

Note: This firmware is not yet functional for using your switch as a switch. But I hope to be at that point soon™
Update 2020-07-22: we have reached the point of soon™

Warning: Installing the firmware requires physical access and an SPI flashing tool. You will void any remaining warranty.
I am VERY interested, can you pass me over the info? Huge thanks btw!