Meraki MS220-series FOSS firmware

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Forums

Jul 9, 2020
I can provide a full dump of the Meraki firmware for you (or anyone else) to find a remote code execution
This would be most helpful, I don't know why I didn't think of that earlier.

sarbuk

Feb 5, 2021
I've registered for the forums here specifically because I've just obtained an MS320-48LP with no license and am very interested in testing this out - I'd like it to not remain a paperweight.

Where do I get started with this? I'm not US-based and would need to know what to start looking for and where at local suppliers. Is there an easy-to-follow guide to the flashing process? I'm not a developer, so my interests are purely in having a usable L3 switch at the end of it, but if I can help in the process then that's great :)

adxim

Apr 14, 2018
Hi,
I am working as part of School IT, I would love to join in, My reason for joining is simply learn process of flashing rom's on hardware. Plus the fact i got working licenses and got some switches laying around catching dust i would say more then 5 pcs and we have no use for them in coming years we might decommission them. So would very much like to flash them as local use only.

bwi

Feb 28, 2021
Hello,

cleaning up the basement I also found a MS220-8P lying there for a couple of years now.
Googling I found this, watchmysys and the manual in GDocs, and after some reading I ordered a SPI programmer.

Is this still in progress or has development stopped? I'd be really sad if I had to put this pretty switch to the trash.

t4thfavor

Mar 9, 2021
I'm wondering if the OP would like to sell already flashed chips via paypal for those who can't flash something, but have a hot air station.

Greengoo

Feb 10, 2021
Does anyone know the wiring to connect my soic16 chip to my ch341a adapter without a soic16 chip clip.

I have already soldered the wires onto the board before realizing that I do not know where each wire plugs into the ch341a. I looked at the wiring diagram and it did not have several things that my board calls out.

adgenet

Apr 12, 2016
Anybody here with an MS220-8P flashed with this firmware that has working port status lights?
Mine works absolutely fine (ssh, switching and all), except none of the port status lights seem to work.
Just wondering if this is normal.

bwi

Feb 28, 2021
Does anyone know the wiring to connect my soic16 chip to my ch341a adapter without a soic16 chip clip.

I have a CH341A as well and had to search a bit before I found the correct wiring.
You have to check datasheet of the CH341A and the chip you want to connect to.
The latter you will also find in hmartins GDoc manual or on Leo's Notes website.

My CH341A adapter has a jumper row next to the ZIF socket, on the side with the crystal (Y1 on my board).
Counting from the crystal:

CH341A
MX25L12845E
Clk
CS
MOSI / SIn
MISO / SOut
Ground
3,3V
do not connect
5V

Reactions: Greengoo

bwi

Feb 28, 2021
Anybody here with an MS220-8P flashed with this firmware that has working port status lights?
Mine works absolutely fine (ssh, switching and all), except none of the port status lights seem to work.
The same here, everything works, but the ports LEDs stay dark.
I already searched if this can be enabled/controlles via "click" command, but didn't find anything yet.
That "click modular router" seems to be a science of it's own.

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017

I have already soldered the wires onto the board before realizing that I do not know where each wire plugs into the ch341a. I looked at the wiring diagram and it did not have several things that my board calls out.
Hi, I have updated the installation documentation to include the wiring for the SOIC16 chip clip, but it should be pretty easy to see which pins you need to solder to directly. Look for the section titled "SOIC clip wiring" and let me know if it makes sense.

Yes, the port LEDs are non-functional, I'm not sure how to control them. You can check by looking at the port table in /click/switch_port_table/dump_pports (or using switch_status)

Sorry for the delayed response, apparently I had muted notifications from this thread!

Reactions: legopc

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
I'm wondering if the OP would like to sell already flashed chips via paypal for those who can't flash something, but have a hot air station.
I would support this idea, but it has some drawbacks:
  1. The current firmware includes binary kernel modules, and I don't want any legal issues that selling flashed chips would bring
  2. The current firmware has no self-update mechanism, so updates without flashing are not possible
However, you can send me a PM and I can send you a letter with words of encouragement ;)

If I can make mainline Linux boot on these, my next step is OpenWrt support as this would solve basically all the above issues. In this case, I can sell chips with the firmware pre-flashed.

I've registered for the forums here specifically because I've just obtained an MS320-48LP with no license and am very interested in testing this out - I'd like it to not remain a paperweight.

Where do I get started with this? I'm not US-based and would need to know what to start looking for and where at local suppliers. Is there an easy-to-follow guide to the flashing process? I'm not a developer, so my interests are purely in having a usable L3 switch at the end of it, but if I can help in the process then that's great :)
There are detailed installation instructions for each model in the MS220 family. If you feel the instructions do not communicate enough detail, you can leave a comment or send me a DM with larger suggestions which I will integrate.

This thread really needs update. waiting for response from the OP.
There is progress on having mainline Linux support for the luton26, however thus far I haven't been able to successfully boot a mainline kernel with u-boot.

I do not spend all my free time working on the MS220/MS225 series because quite frankly I need some variety and to keep my sanity.

I would be overjoyed if someone could assist in porting u-boot fully to the MS220 (and jaguar1 support in u-boot/mainline Linux is still missing; sorry MS220-48/MS320-48/MS42 people).

So, I'm not sure what kind of update you are expecting. I have a day job, I like poking at other embedded systems to keep my sanity, and I welcome anyone who has expertise to contribute (code or documentation).

Last edited:

ChrisCode

Jan 18, 2022
Hamburg
Is there a guide on how to use the firmware after installation? What is PostmerkOS exactly? Does it use OpenWrt?

Last edited:

ChrisCode

Jan 18, 2022
Hamburg
I am trying to flash a MS42P-HW with a raspberry pi 4. How do I connect the pins to the raspberry and how do I set it up to flash the code?

Last edited:

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
Is there a guide on how to use the firmware after installation? What is PostmerkOS exactly? Does it use OpenWrt?
No guide exists, you must be comfortable using the command line as no management UI exists yet. The firmware is not based on OpenWrt, OpenWrt support requires that the platform is supported by mainline Linux, which is not the case for the vcoreiii used in the MS220 series.

I am trying to flash a MS42P-HW with a raspberry pi 4. How do I connect the pins to the raspberry and how do I set it up to flash the code?
There are guides on how to use the Raspberry Pi as an SPI flasher, e.g. How to flash bios chips with Raspberry Pi - #Tom's Weblog

While the firmware is functional, it does not have the polish or maturity of a commercial product such as web managed switches from other vendors like HP, Netgear, TP-Link, etc. If you are expecting something which is plug-and-play, then I suggest you purchase a managed switch from one of these vendors.

ChrisCode

Jan 18, 2022
Hamburg
No guide exists, you must be comfortable using the command line as no management UI exists yet. The firmware is not based on OpenWrt, OpenWrt support requires that the platform is supported by mainline Linux, which is not the case for the vcoreiii used in the MS220 series.
Thanks for the help!
Can I use the normal cisco commands in the cli?
And how do I access the cli after flashing?