15$ Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

reaver19

May 20, 2021

Bought 6 for a rancher cluster. This is a fantastic deal considering a bulk order with possible shipping discounts could be less than 20$ per unit

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
That is cheap. Is it 16GB of Ram, or SSD? A quick search turned up several that are 4GB of ram, and 16GB SSD. Didn't see any with 16GB of ram.

Reactions: Samir

reaver19

May 20, 2021
It's a 16gb Sata SSD, he doesn't state the ram, but the 16gb models come with 4gb of ram. I just sent him a message asking.

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I was going to ask about the ram too. :D

Really nice find as these are basically the same as the Fujitsu S920, except no PCI slot. The processor in these is a bit dated and the gx-424 is quite a bit slower than the cpus in more modern thin clients:

Still, if these have 2x memory slots, you should be able to load them up to 16GB via 2x 8GB modules and even 32GB if you can find 2x16GB DDR3 SODIMMs cheap enough. I actually have a single pair of these and have 32GB in my Fujitsu.

If you like these, the Fujitsu S920 can also be a pretty decent deal since it already has a pcie slot that usually comes with a gpu in it. I really like mine.

Reactions: itronin

reaver19

May 20, 2021
He wasn't sure about the ram, but said nothing was pulled from the units as they area fresh enterprise pull, so they should have 4gb of ram. I paid 160+40$ shipping, I asked him about refunding shipping on a bulk order.

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
anyone tried openwrt /pfsense on these, with additional usb ethernet adapter?

ammmze

Oct 22, 2021
He wasn't sure about the ram, but said nothing was pulled from the units as they area fresh enterprise pull, so they should have 4gb of ram. I paid 160+40$ shipping, I asked him about refunding shipping on a bulk order.
Got any response on combining the shipping cost? Or was the $40 after getting a refund for combined shipping?

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
I'm in for 2 of them, and I'll be using them as tiny proxmox nodes so that my main server has somewhere to move critical VM's.
I'll either do a 2 node HA with a qdevice, or go all in and try a tiny gluster setup :D

I also have a Wyse 7020, and M920q so I can do a quick comparison :)

Reactions: Samir and Marsh

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Gone. Like the wind. Thanks STH :.)
It's The STH Effect™ (not actually trademarked, but looks cooler this way, lol) :) Making you want to buy what you don't need! :D

But the The STH Effect™ also works in another way--wiping out inventory so that there's none to buy!

And the third way The STH Effect™ works is to raise prices on otherwise great deals to the point they're not great anymore.

You can run; you can hide--but The STH Effect™ will find you. :D

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
These keep showing up at about the same prices when you include shipping, here is another set at $34 w/free shipping: Dell Wyse 5060 Thin Client AMD Quad Core 4GB RAM 16GB SSD Complete | eBay
If one is looking to buy a group of these in bulk, you might as well look at the Fujitsu S920 as it has a pcie slot with a gpu in it that you can remove and use to get the power supply or figure out something custom for power since it's quite flexible since it accepts 19v-20v power supplies. I've also verified that 2x8GB will get you 16GB and if you find the ultra rare 16GB module, 2x16GB will yield 32GB:

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Tell me more about this little guy will you? I've been looking for a small emulation/arcade machine to run stuff up to PS3/Wii games, and it looks like I can use this with a GPU slot. Low profile right?

How powerful is this little guy comparable to say, an intel i3 third-gen (ivy-bridge) or something?

Or is it better to get like an old HP 8300 SFF and throw in a low-profile GPU?
Not for the PS3/Wii, you won't. The HP 8300 probably won't cut the mustard either.
RPCS3 needs at least a Zen2 (Ryzen 4000 series) or a Skylake connected to something like an AMD Polaris or an nVidia Maxwell. That'll require at least an HP t740.

As for the Wii...eeeeh, no. For something playable on a game like Super Mario Galaxy you would need at least a Kaby Lake or a Ryzen, and if you want BOTW? That's probably Ryzen 2 or an Ice/Tiger lake. If you are dealing with Gamecube with multiple on-the-fly shader recompilation like Rogue Squadron 2, that would be Ryzen at the very least as well. Even for playable PSP games you'll need at least a Haswell Mobile.

For something like the GX-424CC (embedded version of the AMD A8-6410 Beema laptop APU)? It probably runs like a Sandy bridge i5-2520M or an Ivy Bridge i5-3317U. Not really enough for anything heavier than, say, N64/Dreamcast emulation. That GPU onboard? It's GCN2 based. Probably okay for PS2, PSP or N64 games, but anything heavier for emulation and it'll not work well.

Last edited:

Filez

Feb 18, 2019
can it be used as docker host or mini file server with a usb drive attached 24x7?

Last edited:

zer0sum

Mar 8, 2013
can it be used as docker host or mini file server with a usb drive attached 24x7?
Absolutely. I have 2 of them and have them running 24/7 as a proxmox node and a debian server that is my qdevice and glusterfs arbiter.

They come with a sata module installed that you could upgrade and then you can also use the "wan" port to install another nvme ssd (at PCI x1 speed)
If you wanted a bit more storage the Wyse 7020 will let you do 1 x sata module, 1 x nvme ssd through "wan" port, and a normal sata port from motherboard

Last edited:

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Tell me more about this little guy will you? I've been looking for a small emulation/arcade machine to run stuff up to PS3/Wii games, and it looks like I can use this with a GPU slot. Low profile right?

How powerful is this little guy comparable to say, an intel i3 third-gen (ivy-bridge) or something?

Or is it better to get like an old HP 8300 SFF and throw in a low-profile GPU?
Sure. They're typically sold with a gpu so you'll already get one installed. I forgot what it was equivalent to, but something like a wx2100 I believe. Yep, low-profile.

It's still not very powerful when compared to a regular full blown cpu as even an older lga775 q6600 beats it in single thread performance:

If performance matters, the 8300 SFF would blow this out of the water, especially with an i5 or i7.

Reactions: Sleyk

Samir

Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Thin client hardware like this is actually ideal as a usb file server as they're low power and it's a really simple setup.

Reactions: Sleyk

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Sure. They're typically sold with a gpu so you'll already get one installed. I forgot what it was equivalent to, but something like a wx2100 I believe. Yep, low-profile.

It's still not very powerful when compared to a regular full blown cpu as even an older lga775 q6600 beats it in single thread performance:

If performance matters, the 8300 SFF would blow this out of the water, especially with an i5 or i7.
Eh, no. The WX2100 will be more powerful (that’s what, like an RX540?). This is GCN2, so this is more like a Radeon R5 M230 sliced in half.

As for the CPU, those are Puma cores - essentially netbook CPU cores like the Atoms, but not quite as efficient…although it’s hard to tell which portions of the power consumption are the GPU cores, and which are the Puma cores. Either you can take a 35w “Bridge” cores and adjust the TDP down (which would match or better the APU), or take the Silvermont Atom cores and add cores/TDP (which would probably do as well, if not better). To me the CPU is one of those evolutionary dead ends like the Atom MID SOCs or the AMD earthmover cores.

Last edited:
Reactions: Samir and Sleyk