(US) HP t740 thin client, 270 USD + 18 USD shipping

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Well, looks like the guys at Laptops for Less is back with another potentially interesting offering (note: I am not affiliated with them, but I am an occasional customer). No Wifi+BT and it’s HP ThinPro, so it’s not the SKU with Win10 IoT.

Me and the guys bought from them previously during the 110 dollar t640 shenanigans last year (so they are a known reseller), the machine has been reviewed earlier, and that's not a bad deal for a Ryzen 5 2600H analog GhettoMiniMicro machine with a PCIe slot.

Slap some spare DDR4 SODIMMs and an NVMe drive in there and you got yourself a cool quiet hypervisor that runs similar to a base model 2018 MacMini. About 30w medium usage on ESXi 6.5 with 64GB of RAM and a Mellanox CX3. Would be nice if @Patrick would finally review it, but I am sure he's got bigger fish to fry.

Yeah, I wsh that Dell Wyse or HP will go Ryzen embedded 2000 or 3000 (not yet released) but hey, hardware stock levels are so tight that the GhettoMiniMicro stock are not all that cheap these days.

Last edited:

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
Was hoping these would be a little cheaper by now... But CPU prices for newish stuff doesn't seem to be dropping for a while.

Do these come with a form of IPMI? After decades of make-shift servers, IPMI on an air-gapped VLAN is almost a requirement these days - especially for a cluster.

Reactions: Samir

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Was hoping these would be a little cheaper by now... But CPU prices for newish stuff doesn't seem to be dropping for a while.

Do these come with a form of IPMI? After decades of make-shift servers, IPMI on an air-gapped VLAN is almost a requirement these days - especially for a cluster.
Eh, do you count DASH (AMD’s version of VPro) to be IPMI-like? It’s supported via that Realtek 8111C NIC, but that NIC does make running ESXi 7 on it a pain (note: I think it’s the same NIC on the Wyse 5070). I should really give it a try…

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
I actually purchased one from them yesterday for 240 + 18 shipping. They might go lower but I was impatient to replace my old t730.

Definitely great little boxes for the money.
Yeah, I would say around 250-270 including shipping is a fair price for them - a similarly spec’d Lenovo m725q Gen2 with a Ryzen 5 2400G goes for around 230-270 including shipping. Of course, whether you get Wifi/BT or Win10 IoT entitlements depends on what SKU you end up with - my t740 has Win10 IoT but no Wifi+BT, and that was 380 from April 2020.

thetoad

Feb 10, 2021
wondering how you create an airgapped vlan for homelab? do you directly connect a laptop to a vlan'd port? or something else?

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
wondering how you create an airgapped vlan for homelab? do you directly connect a laptop to a vlan'd port? or something else?
To me, air-gapped and vlan are mutually exclusive. Unless you have vlans running on the airgapped segment too.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Video on this is now with Alex our video editor. My best guess if you are searching for these online is that it will go live in January so sometime before the STH effect.

Also, @WANg got a call-out in the video (assuming it stays in)

Reactions: Samir and zack$

tn00364361

Mar 11, 2021
I just got one but the BIOS is password-locked. I can't reset the Setup Password using the instructions in the manual. Removing the PSWD/E49 jumper doesn't work.

Any suggestions?

eduncan911

The New James Dean
Jul 27, 2015
eduncan911.com
To me, air-gapped and vlan are mutually exclusive. Unless you have vlans running on the airgapped segment too.
True, air-gapped means no physical/wireless connection between the LANs nor internet.

However, I'm using the term "Air-gapped" with a homelab/homelan to mean "no internet access". So, basically a VLAN without a route to the internet (and extremely limited access to other vlan resources). E.g. firewall/switch routes.

And then add the VLAN to the access points, so your IoT devices can connect to the SSID - with no internet.

Last edited:

liora2k

Jan 30, 2022
Hello everyone ,
I'm a new member and interested on buying the HP T740.
can someone share a link where I can buy it ?

newabc

Jan 20, 2019
If don't want the PCIe slot, we can consider HP elitedesk 705 g4 dm with same grade CPU, ryzen 5 2400ge and 16gb ram, sometime pop-uped on ebay with $200+tax shipped.

HP t740 has 2 m.2 2280 slots and an extra low profile PCIe slot, compared to the HP 705 g4 dm.

hk92doom

Jun 4, 2020
They are back again at $299 + shipping, but this time available in a quantity of more than 10.

Does this indicate new trend of large quantity of devices coming off lease?

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
They are back again at $299 + shipping, but this time available in a quantity of more than 10.

Does this indicate new trend of large quantity of devices coming off lease?
Nah, they are not that old - plus high end thin clients typically don’t end up getting cycled out that quickly. Those t740s typically cost about as much as a TMM machine when new and they are typically expected to be useful for up to 5-6 years.

Gitsum

Jul 27, 2022
I just got one but the BIOS is password-locked. I can't reset the Setup Password using the instructions in the manual. Removing the PSWD/E49 jumper doesn't work.

Any suggestions?
Same here. Did you ever find a way to unlock the BIOS?