Experience with SAS3 attached to Supermicro SAS2 backplanes?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Pheckphul

Better than being feckless.
Feb 28, 2013
SF Bay Area
Hello. I'm considering picking up a Supermicro CSE-847E16-R1K28LPB chassis with BPN-SAS2-846EL1 and BPN-SAS2-826EL1 backplanes. I've read that quality SAS2 interconnecting hardware will function at SAS3 when connected to SAS3 storage/HBAs. I am wondering what people's experience has been running SAS3 storage off of these backplanes.

Thank you for your time, and your input will be appreciated.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
You're definitely not going to get SAS3 speeds. That's a limitation of the ASIC in the expander. I have no issues with SAS3 drives with my SAS2-846EL1 backplane and have been running that for years.

Reactions: Pheckphul

Pheckphul

Better than being feckless.
Feb 28, 2013
SF Bay Area
You're definitely not going to get SAS3 speeds. That's a limitation of the ASIC in the expander. I have no issues with SAS3 drives with my SAS2-846EL1 backplane and have been running that for years.
I was chatting with a person on Discord who said if you force the SAS3 to 12Gb instead of setting to 'auto' SAS3 speeds would be achieved assuming good SAS2 interconnects. Not true?

NablaSquaredG

Layer 1 Magician
Aug 17, 2020
It depends.

This might work on a direct attach backplane, where the drives are directly connected to the controller.

The BPN-SAS2-846EL1 backplanes have an expander. That means your connection goes
HBA -> Expander Chip -> Drive

And the SAS2 Expander Chip is definitely not SAS3 capable. Sorry for that.

Reactions: Pheckphul