[CLOSED] BGP at home?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
I think i'm asking something very obvious and stupid, it's likely impossible to have multihoming with two very countryside ISPs(one being fiber the other LTE), right, even if i had my AS? So it has to be a proper DC not some redneck barn on the edge of japan right?

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I expect that it comes down to if both of your ISPs are willing/able to announce the AS for you.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Well, last time I called them about colocation nobody would know wth that is. Was thinking like if they have me hooked up directly over sm fiber i could just drop off all of my rack stuff to their building and directly connect to that. So, no, that's not happening. Not in this country.
So in general you have to have an informed and cooperative ISP(which is mostly ever heard of in DCs) and some further agreements with them?
Is there any other effective option? Right now im solving this with wireguard but that's client side option only. Connection to my services drops when uplink switches. Does he.net tunnelbroker work in this curcumstances?

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
Most larger ISP’s offering business/enterprise DIA plans will let you handle your own BGP with full routes but you need routers that can handle that as well, 16GB usually.

Could just use default routes and “bgp bestpath as-path multipath-relax” if you really want BGP and just get some redundancy.

Evan

Jan 6, 2016
May r just one really basic point here, 4G/LTE is nearly always behind CG-NAT, depending on the country and provider any public IP maybe near impossible and no idea about routing over that.

If you only want traffic failover then you need not have BGP or even public IP’s.