14 TB WD Easystore $200 @BestBuy

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018

TeeJayHoward

Feb 12, 2013
I just picked up six in store and placed an order for six more (in two batches of three) to be delivered tomorrow.

Thanks!

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
I believe we started posting about this in another thread, but you definitely get to be the OP on the new thread. :)

Reactions: Bert

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Both my orders are cancelled. I cannot see reason for cancellation...

Reactions: Samir

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
Last edited:

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
I put a second online order that went through. The trick is not to put two orders at the same time. You can also put the second order after the first one is shipped.

Also my local best buy gave me one coupon for each hard drive I recycled. I was able to buy 6 of them at the %15 discounted price.

I shucked one of them and it is WD140EDGZ. I read somewhere this is helium filled and runs at 7200 RPM. I guess these drives are not bad.

I am new to shucking. Is there any tips/tricks I need to follow before shucking the drives?

Reactions: Marsh and Samir

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I am new to shucking. Is there any tips/tricks I need to follow before shucking the drives?
Some people like to run testing on the drives before shucking. No sense going through the effort if the drive inside is DOA or otherwise faulty.

Gather materials, go slow, and use a guide. I use this one, and have only broken one tab on one enclosure. There's many more guides out there if this one doesn't speak to you.

How To Shuck A Western Digital Easystore Or Elements External Drive

I like to use a small non-marring auto trim tool instead of a flat head screwdriver as shown in the guide, and I use guitar picks instead of gift/credit cards. Generic guitar picks are cheap and super handy for shucking...their edges taper, so are a bit easier to get started in the gaps between the case halves without marring them.

Jacoub2490

Apr 23, 2021
ordered qty (6) as two orders on the same day. Unfortunately, both orders got canceled today bad luck. Last year the same thing happened with 12TB HDD & one month later the same deal was available so i ll wait & keep an eye

thanks

Marsh

May 12, 2013
Same time Last year , first sale of 14tb drive was $199 each, a month later, BB drop the price to $190 each.
Last year, I ordered 3 drives at $199 each, then loaded up drives after BB dropped to $190 each.

I am doing the same this ( I hope )
I only order 3 drives @ $199 this time.

Reactions: Bert

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
FYI if you have an old drive/storage collecting dust (flash drives work) you can use the following to stack on top, if you have a local BB that is. This gets the price down to around sub $190 after tax (MN). Only bummer is single usage and the mild headache of having the BB person find the coupon.

Thanks for the tip. I took 3 drives in to recycle and got 3 coupons. Bought 2 drives and used two of the coupons without issue. Still have a third one waiting to be used :D

mackle

Nov 13, 2013
How do people feel about recycling drives & data privacy? I’m all for getting rid of ewaste properly, but get leery about secure disposal of storage.

Sacrilego

Retro Gamer
Jun 23, 2016
How do people feel about recycling drives & data privacy? I’m all for getting rid of ewaste properly, but get leery about secure disposal of storage.
Yep, I know what you mean. But when you get to a point where you have your own personal musem of hundreds of drives with a variety of interfaces, sizes, makes and models, you have no choice but to recycle them at some point.

For most of my drives I do a full run of badblocks on my drives before I recycle them. It overwrites the entire drive a couple of times with different patterns on each pass.
DBAN is another option if I have sensitive data and I need to be sure it's almost impossible to recover. I seldom use this option.
Otherwise, if it's data I don't want anyone to have even the remote chance of recovering, it's the hammer.

Bert

Mar 31, 2018
Same time Last year , first sale of 14tb drive was $199 each, a month later, BB drop the price to $190 each.
Last year, I ordered 3 drives at $199 each, then loaded up drives after BB dropped to $190 each.

I am doing the same this ( I hope )
I only order 3 drives @ $199 this time.
I hope this happens again. Do you know roughly when they dropped the price?

azsrz

Apr 30, 2021
Thanks for the tip. I took 3 drives in to recycle and got 3 coupons. Bought 2 drives and used two of the coupons without issue. Still have a third one waiting to be used :D
It says 1 coupon per household. Did you have to go multiple times to get 3 coupons?