Misterious memory error (5+1 beep)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Hello everyone.

I've got a couple of 846E16-R1200B with X8DTH-iF boards and E5620 cpu each. Both servers were tested and fully working for weeks.

After being testing them for weeks, yesterday I was flashing H310's to IT in one of them, and doing the final checks (in this one I did installed 2x E5620, one from the other server) turned it off and went to sleep. Today I turned it on and without asking for permission, got the 5+1 beeps with no aparent reason.

The scenario:

This server has been working with the same (both) cpus and ram for weeks without issues.
Suddenly got the beeps issue, before it was working perfectly with the same configuration/components

What I've tested (and the issue remains):

Different memory sticks
Replaced the motherboard (the other server had the same board) and with both happens the same
Tested both processors in single mode
BIOS reset (even tsoped one of them)
Replaced both PSUs
Tested voltages at the connectors (thinking about the distributor, all green)
Tested with or without cards
Tested with the motherboard bolts and with the board loose

I don't have more processors to test, and my supply of DDR3 RAM is limited... but this is a mistery that I can't see what could be the culprit...

Any help/ideas will be wellcome (sorry, my english is a bit rusted)

Last edited:

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Sounds like you've done all you could to them--did you test them without the H310 installed?

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Yeah, I did all the tests without pcie cards. I think that's the reason why they failed, is due a bad grounded grid. Now that's solved, but the boards didn't came to life again.

Reactions: Samir

Samir

Post Liker and Deal Hunter Extraordinaire!
Jul 21, 2017
HSV and SFO
Gotcha. Strange how that could have happened with just the flash of an H310.

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Did you try covering pins b5 and b6 on the h310? Its a common problem, that some bios detect as a memory error.

nihonjin

Lost in translation
Mar 31, 2021
Gotcha. Strange how that could have happened with just the flash of an H310.
No no, I don't think that had nothing to do, just failed I was flashing the cards (dunno why). They doesn't work with or without the h310s installed.

Anyway, there are no shorts on the boards but they doesn't work just beeps