X10DRL-i ATX

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Truckin

Jun 4, 2021
Hi,

So my current 4U Supermicro server with the X9DRL-3F /iF is on its last leg. It's suffering from the "B2" booting issue where it's basically stuck there.
I have tried several of the recommendations to break it free from the B2 freeze, but have not been successful thus far.
I am looking to replace the motherboard and wanted some opinions on the X10DRL-i ATX as a successor. I would like to be able to swap most of the current hardware
to the new board IE( 6805 RAID card, both Xeons V2 CPUs etc). My question is using this board would I be able to install my Nvidia Quadro P400 without having to use an adapter or cable as I do with the X9DRL version? I really want the ability to have it installed directly to the motherboard without any use of an adapter and not have issues with compatibility.

Is there another board I should look at that would allow this option (GPU mentioned install) which is in the ATX form factor?

Any recommendations are appreciated!
Truckin

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I am looking to replace the motherboard and wanted some opinions on the X10DRL-i ATX as a successor. I would like to be able to swap most of the current hardware to the new board IE( 6805 RAID card, both Xeons V2 CPUs etc).
You'll have to replace the CPU's with E5-26xx v3/v4 cpu's if you go with the X10DRL-i - or any of the X10 motherboards (C612) that support E5-26xx

Both boards appear to use square NLM sockets so you should be able to re-use the cpu heat sinks from your old motherboard.

Memory changes from DDR3 to DDR4 between the X9DRL and X10DRL so you will not be able to re-use that.

I have no experience with the 6805 RAID card so I can't speak to its compatibility.

My question is using this board would I be able to install my Nvidia Quadro P400 without having to use an adapter or cable as I do with the X9DRL version?
This board has a full x16 slot paired with cpu1.

Looks like your current board only has x8 slots - so I can see why you had to adapt for an x16 GPU.

I have had no issues and required no special handling or adapters using P400,P620,P2000 gpu's on X10SRL-F but that's also a single processor board so I can't speak to specifics related to the X10D dual processor boards. Your GPU should work though.

Truckin

Jun 4, 2021
You'll have to replace the CPU's with E5-26xx v3/v4 cpu's if you go with the X10DRL-i - or any of the X10 motherboards (C612) that support E5-26xx

Both boards appear to use square NLM sockets so you should be able to re-use the cpu heat sinks from your old motherboard.

Memory changes from DDR3 to DDR4 between the X9DRL and X10DRL so you will not be able to re-use that.

I have no experience with the 6805 RAID card so I can't speak to its compatibility.

This board has a full x16 slot paired with cpu1.

Looks like your current board only has x8 slots - so I can see why you had to adapt for an x16 GPU.

I have had no issues and required no special handling or adapters using P400,P620,P2000 gpu's on X10SRL-F but that's also a single processor board so I can't speak to specifics related to the X10D dual-processor boards. Your GPU should work though.
Thank you for your recommendations and guidance. I also was looking at the Asus Z9PA-D8 as it's pricing is a little better than the X10SRL. Sucks that I have to replace both CPUs and all the RAM but such is life. Do you have a recommendation on the CPU V3 vs. the V4? Or really doesn't matter...
Good to know that the GPU will work!
Thanks,
Truckin

Truckin

Jun 4, 2021
Would it be wise to go ahead and make the move to a X10 based motherboard or try to stay with a X9 version....

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Thank you for your recommendations and guidance. I also was looking at the Asus Z9PA-D8 as it's pricing is a little better than the X10SRL. Sucks that I have to replace both CPUs and all the RAM but such is life. Do you have a recommendation on the CPU V3 vs. the V4? Or really doesn't matter...
Good to know that the GPU will work!
Thanks,
Truckin
CPU's - Depends on how much power you want to use - E5-2680v4's have been between $120-$140 USD on the bay for some time. The ESISO folks (fifakingdom) tend to accept reasonable offers too and are pretty reputable - I've not had any significant issues with them and the 1 or 2 I did they resolved them quickly.

Reactions: Truckin

Truckin

Jun 4, 2021
Yeah, looks like the V4 is close to the v3 so probably should just make the move to v4.

Truckin

Jun 4, 2021
This is what I have thus far just to make sure there aren't any compatibility issues. Looks like it should work. (The CPU coolers were just a placeholder I probably will use something different).

1636469488179.png

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Yeah, looks like the V4 is close to the v3 so probably should just make the move to v4.
If I were moving to X10 (again) I'd bypass v3 - but that's me.

But even though its a (now) older platform the E5-26xx v1/v2 platform still meets a lot of needs.

its hard for me to speculate about your situation and use-cases.

I'm guessing you have some sort of home storage (SM 4U chassis) / compute server (dual socket) with a media transcode need (p400, plex emby et al).

Budget - do you have the monies to make the upgrade to X10/v3/v4? Costs are primarily memory and CPU. Motherboard costs are IMO not significantly different x9 to x10.

Power - are you increasing your power usage? Is there a significant cost for you with that change?

Cooling - Have you modded your SM 4U from a cooling perspective to make it quieter? If so will those mods be problematic if new CPU's are more needy ?

Hobby - do you enjoy playing with your hardware (, troubleshooting) and periodically upgrading it?

@JDMWAAAT has put together a nice set of resources for builds with boards and features covering E5-26xx v1/v2 so you might check that information too before making a decision.

Given the challenges you had with your x8 pcie slot only board - definitely only look at x9 board with an x16 slot. x16 physical is good, you don't necessarily need x16 data (x8 data is probably fine) if your gpu use-case is primarily transcoding since that only uses a fraction of the pcie lane's bandwidth.

Last edited:

Truckin

Jun 4, 2021
Yes I understand and would/will bypass the V3 is I move to X10.

I have the SM 4U chassis with a P400 media transcode need. Storage is in that chassis as well.

I would have to have the ability to install the P400 on the MB itself instead of using an adapter.

Cooling is not an issue as long as I can use the SM 4U chassis I have now. Noise is not an issue I have a server room and door for that LOL.

Yes I enjoy playing with my hardware....but again really want to move away from having to adapt the MB so I can use a GPU....I would rather just have a MB that will allow my P400 to plug directly in.

If X10 is the way I must go then so be it.....but if I could use the parts I have now which are DDR3 memory and E5-26xx v2 cpu (Dual) that's what I would like.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
if I could use the parts I have now which are DDR3 memory and E5-26xx v2 cpu (Dual) that's what I would like.
Look at the link I provided. there's a spreadsheet comparison of SM and non SM boards in that links. Right now you have a normal sized ATX motherboard but your chassis can support larger. Your existing CPU heatsinks are square NLM so you want to maintain that too (without replacing your cpu heatsinks - which can be a bit of a cost). Do you use IPMI? If so make sure your replacement board has IPMI. lastly X16 slot. Make sure it has an X16 slot (x16 phys and x8 data is fine). If your work load is really only a single cpu and you only need 8 dimm slots then you could also look at moving to a single cpu motherboard. With SM though you'll mostly be changing to narrow ILM though which will mean a new heatsink.

There are a ton of options out there, spend a lilttle time thinking/planning.

Truckin

Jun 4, 2021
Look at the link I provided. there's a spreadsheet comparison of SM and non SM boards in that links. Right now you have a normal sized ATX motherboard but your chassis can support larger. Your existing CPU heatsinks are square NLM so you want to maintain that too (without replacing your cpu heatsinks - which can be a bit of a cost). Do you use IPMI? If so make sure your replacement board has IPMI. lastly X16 slot. Make sure it has an X16 slot (x16 phys and x8 data is fine). If your work load is really only a single cpu and you only need 8 dimm slots then you could also look at moving to a single cpu motherboard. With SM though you'll mostly be changing to narrow ILM though which will mean a new heatsink.

There are a ton of options out there, spend a lilttle time thinking/planning.
Thank you! I have been reviewing the recommendations from the link you provided. I really think I want to stay with V2 Intel CPUs as they seem to meet my needs just fine....it's the GPU slot that is always an issue. That being said I think this is a pretty good deal and woud work with my current setup as well as allow the P400 install I mentioned.

Wasmachineman_NL

Wittgenstein the Supercomputer FTW!
Aug 7, 2019
Why not move to something slightly more recent such as Skylake-SP or Epyc Rome? Haswell is starting to become rather dated.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Thank you! I have been reviewing the recommendations from the link you provided. I really think I want to stay with V2 Intel CPUs as they seem to meet my needs just fine....it's the GPU slot that is always an issue. That being said I think this is a pretty good deal and woud work with my current setup as well as allow the P400 install I mentioned.

the only thing I can see with a casual look is that you'll need to change out your heatsinks to narrow ilm. What heat sinks do you currently have?