SM CSE 826 sweet deal

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
$100 for the Dell card to reflash
SAS Cables...? @Fritz , I notice in the Ebay listing that there's a pair of SAS cables in one of the pictures. Did yours come with them, and if so can you share how long they were?

@EngChiSTH, many CSE-826 that were originally turnkey servers will have SAS cables that are only long enough to reach connectors on a motherboard with an onboard SAS3 controller (e.g. X10SRH-CF). They won't be long enough reach an add in card. For those situations you wind up needing cables as well.

If it turns out you need cables, the value proposition for a SAS HBA card changes a bit: Depending on use case, you can use spinning HDD with a much less expensive SAS2 card without much (if any) loss of performance. A SAS2 card with appropriate cables is going to cost a lot less than a SAS3 card with cables, especially since used SAS3 cards seem to be crazy expensive right now. :oops:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yea, really no good way to mount a SSD boot drive without the rear drive bay. I'll keep my eye out for one at a reasonable price. Till then, as is will do.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Yea, really no good way to mount a SSD boot drive without the rear drive bay. I'll keep my eye out for one at a reasonable price. Till then, as is will do.
do you have the rear window cover or did they remove the rear drive bay? If the latter and you want one, I have an extra or two and screws if you want to pay for shipping.

Last edited:

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
There's a removable section where the drive bay goes. I assumed all that need be done is to remove it and insert the drive bay in it's place.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
There's a removable section where the drive bay goes. I assumed all that need be done is to remove it and insert the drive bay in it's place.
yep. they way their listing described it (and the picture) it showed an installed 2x2.5" but they said the 2x.2.5" was removed so I wasn't sure if the window was in there or not, glad it is. my OCD would be agitated if it was missing and I didn't have something to put in there.

Reactions: Fritz

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
yep. they way their listing described it (and the picture) it showed an installed 2x2.5" but they said the 2x.2.5" was removed so I wasn't sure if the window was in there or not, glad it is. my OCD would be agitated if it was missing and I didn't have something to put in there.
Yea, I'm the same way. Something missing would make it incomplete.

One thing that pisses me off about Some SM chassis is that if you put something other than an extended ATX MB in it there's a good chance the main PSU cable ain't gonna reach the motherboard. Had to order another extension cable but in the mean time I borrowed one out of another box.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Yeah, a fan on the SAS heatsink works well! Except in my case, the boot drive is a pair of DOMs I got from....well....you! :D

View attachment 20387
I like the idea of adding a fan to a passive heat sink. I have one box that doesn't have enough fan headers. Gonna dig through my fan box and see if I have one that fits that plugs into the psu.

pancake_riot

Nov 5, 2021

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
The original listing is out of stock but it looks like the same seller has another lot here:

I just snagged one. Thanks for the thread!
does that one include the 920W power supplies?

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
does that one include the 920W power supplies?
The add is exactly the same as the first one so I assume it does. The first add didn't mention the PSU model either but the cut and paste from SM says 920w 80 plus Platinum. so I figured it had to be the 920SQ. Neither listing mentions the SAS3 backplane either but if you look closely at the pics you can see the ends of the cables.

custom90gt

Nov 17, 2016
The add is exactly the same as the first one so I assume it does. The first add didn't mention the PSU model either but the cut and paste from SM says 920w 80 plus Platinum. so I figured it had to be the 920SQ. Neither listing mentions the SAS3 backplane either but if you look closely at the pics you can see the ends of the cables.
The titles are different:
first - "SUPERMICRO SuperChassis 2U CSE-826 Bare Chassis -R920WB 920W x 2"
second - "Supermicro 826-9 SSG-6028R-E1CR12T Rack Mountable Server Chassis BARE SERVER"

My hope is it has all the same stuff. For some reason I regret not picking one up, even though I don't need it at all.

GhettoSuperstar

Mar 12, 2020
Was able to get the last one. offered $110 with $65 shipping. Now just looking for a motherboard that can take my Xeon e3 1245v5 and fit in this case for a plex/nas server. Any ideas? Or should i find an 8 core quicksync processor.

pancake_riot

Nov 5, 2021
Mine just arrived. I confirmed the PSUs are PWS-920P-SQ and the backplane is BPN-SAS3-826EL1. It also came with the plastic air shroud.

I am a little bummed because the listing photo had inner rails and mine doesn't - but this is such a good deal that I'm honestly torn over whether it's worth making a fuss about.

Fritz

Apr 6, 2015
Mine just arrived. I confirmed the PSUs are PWS-920P-SQ and the backplane is BPN-SAS3-826EL1. It also came with the plastic air shroud.

I am a little bummed because the listing photo had inner rails and mine doesn't - but this is such a good deal that I'm honestly torn over whether it's worth making a fuss about.
Mine didn't come with an air shroud or inner rails but it did come with one HD caddy. :)