Ultimate Home Data Center

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
Welcome to Texas, if your ever up in Dallas and want a free lunch hit me up.
I am working on doing an InfoMart tour up in Dallas. That may happen hopefully early next year. Many levels of approval.

ArthurA

Sep 26, 2018
I am working on doing an InfoMart tour up in Dallas. That may happen hopefully early next year. Many levels of approval.
The Stemmons (DA1-3 & DA6) site? Is that still being referred to as Infomart after the Equinix buyout?

Reactions: Patrick

webjunkie

Mar 17, 2016
@Patrick It would probably be way more economical to rent space in an existing data center. Most data centers also build out office space for disaster recovery or whatever, and they often will either bundle in some small amount of free space in a colo deal, or lease you some office or white space for super cheap.

Even though this building or something like it would be very cool, the novelty of "I own my own data center" will wear off quickly. It will be a huge distraction and money pit.

Patrick

Administrator
Staff member
Dec 21, 2010
It would probably be way more economical to rent space in an existing data center.
So the reason we are building out in Austin comes down to cooling. In the near future, we are going to have servers that are well north of 7kW even when liquid-cooled. That is necessarily going to push towards needing liquid cooling in the lab. The liquid cooling side is a bit challenging because that brings questions like:
  • Immersion (full or other), direct to chip, rear door, combination?
  • What are the facility flow needs for each?
  • What are the air handling needs for each?
  • What type of CDUs and other pumps and plumbing are needed?
So basically, to test servers in 2022 and beyond, if one wants to test high-end servers liquid cooling at scale is necessary.

A colocation setting would be great, but the big challenge is that they often have one type of liquid cooling option available, or have other restrictions if one is truly trying to get diversity in liquid cooling options.