Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

Kevlar

Oct 25, 2021
What TFTP server are you using? Do you have a second computer where you can setup a TFTP client and test that server? If you do a netstat to show UDP ports, is port 69 bound to a physical interface or loopback? On Windows this would be "netstat -an -p udp | findstr 69" for most Linux "netstat -aun | grep 69" should work.
I'm just using the one straight from the zip that Fohdeesha made and pointing it to the correct folder replacing the ip address in the instructions with my tftp server ip address. Tested it on a second windows pc and had the same issue where it opens up the file transfer window 4 times and then times out on each of them after not transferring anything.

When I enter that netstat command I get:
UDP 0.0.0.0:69 *:*

....never mind, I was in the middle of getting ready to send this reply and I found that I either needed to select something other than the local (127) server interface in the tftpd64 app or I needed to use a different ip address than I was previously using for the switch because it just worked. :mad::mad::D:rolleyes: Thanks for your quick response!

S!rius

Aug 26, 2021
Hello together

Been following this thread for a while and now got myself a 7250-48P. Now before I do my network design I have a trivial question: Can I use the 8-uplink ports as "normal ports" to connect end devices. Must confess that I have not read all 315 pages. Maybe someone of you has asked this or a similar question. The search did not bring any results.

Freebsd1976

Feb 23, 2018
Hello together

Been following this thread for a while and now got myself a 7250-48P. Now before I do my network design I have a trivial question: Can I use the 8-uplink ports as "normal ports" to connect end devices. Must confess that I have not read all 315 pages. Maybe someone of you has asked this or a similar question. The search did not bring any results.
yes

Jason Antes

Feb 28, 2020
Twin Cities
I'm just using the one straight from the zip that Fohdeesha made and pointing it to the correct folder replacing the ip address in the instructions with my tftp server ip address. Tested it on a second windows pc and had the same issue where it opens up the file transfer window 4 times and then times out on each of them after not transferring anything.

When I enter that netstat command I get:
UDP 0.0.0.0:69 *:*

....never mind, I was in the middle of getting ready to send this reply and I found that I either needed to select something other than the local (127) server interface in the tftpd64 app or I needed to use a different ip address than I was previously using for the switch because it just worked. :mad::mad::D:rolleyes: Thanks for your quick response!
I had it do something like that to me too, pretty sure it was because I had the TFTP set to the wrong folder as a source. It was either down 1 level too far or up 1 level too far.

Reactions: Kevlar

mbze430

Nov 1, 2019
I can license them, just be aware the copper version (the vdx6740t) draws significant power, it's first gen 10gbase-T PHY, so like a few watts per port. I think they idle around 180w but I don't have any numbers written down from when I had one. also not quiet
Do you have another recommendation, but cheap? I need 10GBase-T ports with 40Gbe or higher to uplink to a DX010 I was looking at a VDX6740T but that power draw is a bit insane, I looked it up in the data sheet from Extreme Network

Last edited:

klui

Feb 3, 2019
Your best bet would probably be Mikrotik if you want 10GbaseT. Anything else you're looking at 48 ports idling at 200W with nothing connected. You can't disable/reconfigure them to save power like you could with the old Nortel 5510/5520. I hope I'm wrong here but I could not find any "energy saving" command in the CLI reference. Shutting down the ports made no difference in power consumption.

As an additional data point the current generation Arista 48-port 10GbaseT switches idle at 150W. The good thing is new or old, copper 10G switches' latency are the same per their datasheets, at least across Arista's entire portfolio and these VDX-Ts.

We all want cheap, good, fast. Here they are cheap because of high power use impacting your OpEx.

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
pointer needed:

You bond two ports on a server and say they had addresses 192.168.1.16 and 192.168.1.116 before the bond. Then you make a bond0 for instance and static it to 192.168.1.16, does it present to the application as 192.168.1.16 or potentially both .116 and .16 depending on load?

I was playing around with bonding two 10Gb ports on win10 and ubuntu. Everything came up after some screwing around. An owncloud server was connected to my new 6610 through a bonded pair of the front 10Gb ports. That was the only connection to that server. The bond0 (bonded name) on the owncloud server address was set to 192.168.1.16, the usual address. I could ssh to it, share files using smb, etc but many, not all, of my clients couldn't connect to the owncloud server on .16. The .16 address pinged, etc. I took the server bond out and all is back up. To make things more interesting for me, the devices that could connect were on the same subnet but coming in wireless to an AP, all with their same addresses so it wasn't a DHCP plan sort of issue. All hitting the server had their usual addresses. All had to get to the server through the bond0 two 10Gb port link though. The devices that didn't work were all using 10Gb adapters, connected to the front of the 6610. The clients that worked came into the 6610 through a 1Gb link from the wireless access point. This doesn't make any sense.

Thanks, by the way, I love the 6610 performance. It allowed me to take out a switch needed to get to the outside world, merged it all into one box. Love it and this site.

Jerry

Blue)(Fusion

Mar 1, 2017
Chicago
pointer needed:

You bond two ports on a server and say they had addresses 192.168.1.16 and 192.168.1.116 before the bond. Then you make a bond0 for instance and static it to 192.168.1.16, does it present to the application as 192.168.1.16 or potentially both .116 and .16 depending on load?

I was playing around with bonding two 10Gb ports on win10 and ubuntu. Everything came up after some screwing around. An owncloud server was connected to my new 6610 through a bonded pair of the front 10Gb ports. That was the only connection to that server. The bond0 (bonded name) on the owncloud server address was set to 192.168.1.16, the usual address. I could ssh to it, share files using smb, etc but many, not all, of my clients couldn't connect to the owncloud server on .16. The .16 address pinged, etc. I took the server bond out and all is back up. To make things more interesting for me, the devices that could connect were on the same subnet but coming in wireless to an AP, all with their same addresses so it wasn't a DHCP plan sort of issue. All hitting the server had their usual addresses. All had to get to the server through the bond0 two 10Gb port link though. The devices that didn't work were all using 10Gb adapters, connected to the front of the 6610. The clients that worked came into the 6610 through a 1Gb link from the wireless access point. This doesn't make any sense.

Thanks, by the way, I love the 6610 performance. It allowed me to take out a switch needed to get to the outside world, merged it all into one box. Love it and this site.

Jerry
Firstly, do not assign IPs whatsoever to the interfaces you intend to bond. Only apply an IP to the bond (bond0).

Secondly, it may be a listening interface issue with owncloud. I am not familiar with owncloud's configuration, but ensure it will listen in all interfaces or by an IP address (192.168.1.16). You can confirm what addresses it is listening on by using netstat -an | grep :<port> where <port> is the port used by the owncloud server.

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
Firstly, do not assign IPs whatsoever to the interfaces you intend to bond. Only apply an IP to the bond (bond0).

Secondly, it may be a listening interface issue with owncloud. I am not familiar with owncloud's configuration, but ensure it will listen in all interfaces or by an IP address (192.168.1.16). You can confirm what addresses it is listening on by using netstat -an | grep :<port> where <port> is the port used by the owncloud server.
Thanks, I don't understand the address issue on the interfaces because the netplan didn't have them specified. I'll go back and look because "netplan apply" could be dragging a file in from someplace.

I did check owncloud and you have to specify the domain or IP address that would be the server's target. So I had the .16 address specified in owncloud and not the .116 address (the two addresses of the interfaces prior to bonding). Trying to access owncloud on any interface other than that in the domain configuration will post a message whereas the problem I was having was a hang.

This was the netplan I used when I bonded the interfaces. The indenting isn't working but you'll see no addresses. But before I bring up the bond0 or take it down, the interfaces have addresses. I don't know where it is getting them.

network:
version: 2
renderer: networkd
ethernets:
ens3f0:
dhcp4: no
ens3f1:
dhcp4: no
bonds:
bond0:
interfaces: [ens3f0, ens3f1]
addresses: [192.168.1.16/24]
gateway4: 192.168.1.1
nameservers:
addresses: [8.8.8.8,8.8.4.4]
parameters:
mode: 802.3ad
lacp-rate: fast
primary: ens3f0
mii-monitor-interval: 100

I'm going to bring the bond back up and see if I can figure it out. This command, netstat -an | grep :<port> , will help me.

Jerry

edit: one thing I just realized was that netplan apply adds to or changes configs but it doesn't look like it deletes other interfaces. so when I applied that plan above, the interfaces were still configured and therefore the addresses were still applied (to the interfaces.)

Last edited:

Cncjerry

Oct 16, 2021
maybe a simpler question:

I use a VPN for work and have to connect using Cisco Anyconnect from as many as 3 computers at a time. Problem is that while anyconnect is up, I can't get to my private email, printers, smb shares, etc. It blocks all of them.

Is there a way using the facilities of the ICX 6610 that I can bring-up an Anyconnect VPN from the switch? Maybe a dumb question but I am a sales person and I amaze myself that I got this far. I remember a while back Anyconnect allowed you to specify the TLD that was routed out that VPN bit that's been gone for a while.

Thanks

klui

Feb 3, 2019
You're experiencing that problem because your company has disallowed split-tunneling for its VPN connections. I've not used Cisco's AnyConnect for a long time and it was possible to override that in the past probably due to no formal setting.

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
Guys, I've recently bought 7150-24 and the screws it came with only permit to backside mount the ears(therefore, only mid-of-rack mount) which isn't gonna work for me. Does anyone know the exact screw type used there at the front? It's really crazy that they are designed different! 4 screw holes on the back of switch and on the front have completely different size!! I don't have these anywhere and need help finding these. Carrying around the switch at the hardware shop isn't gonna look or feel cool.

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Guys, I've recently bought 7150-24 and the screws it came with only permit to backside mount the ears(therefore, only mid-of-rack mount) which isn't gonna work for me. Does anyone know the exact screw type used there at the front? It's really crazy that they are designed different! 4 screw holes on the back of switch and on the front have completely different size!! I don't have these anywhere and need help finding these. Carrying around the switch at the hardware shop isn't gonna look or feel cool.

Hi

I have several Brocade switiches, including the 7150-24P

The Larger screws are 8/32 UNC and the Smaller screws are 6/32 UNC.

Check out - MS24693 MACHINE SCREWS (AN507) from some suppliers.

You will need 1/4" long countersunk, if you are using the standard brackets.

I hope that helps.

Take Care

RedX1

tinfoil3d

QSFP28
May 11, 2020
Japan
The Larger screws are 8/32 UNC and the Smaller screws are 6/32 UNC.

Check out - MS24693 MACHINE SCREWS (AN507) from some suppliers.

You will need 1/4" long countersunk, if you are using the standard brackets.
Thanks a lot, I did try standard 6/32 screws from pc cases but because their head is flat i can't rely on them to hold it tight, might collapse. MS24693 is apparently 8-32 thread which i already have, only fit rear. Do you know the front p/n?

RedX1

Aug 11, 2017
Thanks a lot, I did try standard 6/32 screws from pc cases but because their head is flat i can't rely on them to hold it tight, might collapse. MS24693 is apparently 8-32 thread which i already have, only fit rear. Do you know the front p/n?

Hi

MS24693 MACHINE SCREWS (AN507) is the generic screw type.

You will need to specify the Size and Length. They are 100 Deg Countersunk Angle. Some commercial syles have 90 Deg CS angles.

Both will work for your application.

Cad PlatedMS24693-S246-321/4$0.05

Cad PlatedMS24693-S468-321/4$0.06

These are from this supplier in the USA

MS24693 MACHINE SCREWS (AN507) | Aircraft Spruce

If you are in Europe.

MS24693 UNC/UNF Countersunk LAS Aerospace Ltd

Or you might try eBay.

Best of luck.

REdX1

ccie4526

Jan 25, 2021
maybe a simpler question:

I use a VPN for work and have to connect using Cisco Anyconnect from as many as 3 computers at a time. Problem is that while anyconnect is up, I can't get to my private email, printers, smb shares, etc. It blocks all of them.

Is there a way using the facilities of the ICX 6610 that I can bring-up an Anyconnect VPN from the switch? Maybe a dumb question but I am a sales person and I amaze myself that I got this far. I remember a while back Anyconnect allowed you to specify the TLD that was routed out that VPN bit that's been gone for a while.

Thanks
You're experiencing that problem because your company has disallowed split-tunneling for its VPN connections. I've not used Cisco's AnyConnect for a long time and it was possible to override that in the past probably due to no formal setting.
A little off topic from this thread, but @klui is correct. AnyConnect policies are defined by your corporate IT department, and you won't be able to change that locally. You *might* be able to talk your IT department into allowing access to a local printer, but access to your private email or local SMB shares is considered a security hole, and will likely be disallowed.

Drewy

Apr 23, 2016
This is kind of the point of corporate VPN access. Your employer doesn’t want your network connected to theirs.
I get around the printer problem by having my printer Ethernet connection on my network, for my stuff and the usb connection connected to my work laptop.
Back in the day when we were allowed to connect our own devices to work via vpn, I got my first and worse virus from work. So the current norm is safer both ways.

Reactions: OKGolombRuler

liquidated

Feb 19, 2021
I've just purchased three 6610's that I'll be adding into a rack and a single 7250 for a closet on the other side of the house. I have four cat6 cables going from the rack to the closet (about 15 - 20 meters.) My plan was to ring stack the 6610's using QSFP cables on the back stacking ports, then trunk to the 7250 using the cat6 cables. Does this make sense? Is there a way to include the 7250 into the stack with the 6610's without running any additional cables? Is there something else I should consider without having to run more cable?