Looking for recommendation for enterprise m2 sata ssd for boot

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

iliak

Oct 2, 2018
most of the 2.5' slots are used for storage ,
we have some free ram slots and i am thinking to use them with something like this and use the freed 2.5' for extra storage

any suggestion for enterprise m2 ssd sata drives (i am also open for refurbished )

is 860 EVO SATA M.2 SSD a good option?

the target is proxmox boot

Terry Wallace

PsyOps SysOp
Aug 13, 2018
Central Time Zone
Is it clustered or not. Proxmox does a lot of writing to the boot drive even more if it’s clustered. I’d try and find a Samsung pro vs evo if you want consumer drives. For my production servers I use the intel optane 2280 drives as they have high write endurance and PLP.

iliak

Oct 2, 2018
Is it clustered or not. Proxmox does a lot of writing to the boot drive even more if it’s clustered. I’d try and find a Samsung pro vs evo if you want consumer drives. For my production servers I use the intel optane 2280 drives as they have high write endurance and PLP.
yes it is clustered, till now we used drives like this but they are starting to fail, (fortunately i have raid1 clone.. so i can replace the dead one)
looking for something with more endurance for our next servers.

all optane are nvme, looking for sata solution

best i found so far is micron 5100 m2 960GB version with plp and 900TBW at around 100$ refurbished
or Micron 5300 Pro 480gb for around 150-200$ new

Last edited:

DRAGONKZ

Apr 9, 2018
I’d look at the Micron 5100/5300 as well, decent price vs performance, especially if getting second hand.

Cisco uses those models for m.2 boot drives in their M5 generation servers:)

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
It does sit in a DDR3 slot, but it's only used for mounting. There's no electrical connection to the motherboard through it. All power and data still goes through the respective cables.