Drag to reposition cover

Brocade ICX Series (cheap & powerful 10gbE/40gbE switching)

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

richtj99

Jul 8, 2017
if someone breaks into your network and guesses your community strng ("public" is default typically and probably most people's first guess) they'd be able to query your switch for interface stats/usage, chassis temperature, IPs/arp table contents etc. meh. if you want you can pick a more secure community string like:

enable
conf t
no snmp-server community public ro
snmp-server community XxsuperSecretXx ro
write mem

then when adding to librenms you'll obviously have t put whatever pass you came up with in the community box instead of "public"
Thanks - I didnt realize that 'public' was the password vs the name of the community.

Code:
snmp-server community XxsuperSecretXx ro
So for future reference to SNMP novices like me -

snmp-server -community = enables the SNMP process
XxsuperSecretXx = the password for SNMP
ro = read only

can a packet sniffer on the network sniff the password of the snmp?

Could a potential hacker do anything with the snmp info that could be helpful in access? Might be overthinking due to past issues on my network.

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
can a packet sniffer on the network sniff the password of the snmp?
snmp v1, and v2 : yes.
snmp v3 : no.

Could a potential hacker do anything with the snmp info that could be helpful in access? Might be overthinking due to past issues on my network.
yes even for just snmp read. basically anything exposed via the device's MIB (std. and mfg specific) can be pulled. think about whether having your network's topology (from the snmp device's perspective) would be useful! Not just switches and routers, also think access points, WLC's etc. etc.

RoachedCoach

Feb 4, 2020
my 7250-24 power consumption on idle 46-50W , don't know 48 port
My 7250-48P pulls around 55W with a few PoE cams attached.

I'm still convinced the 7250 is THE best L3-10G switch for homelab use - considering low power draw, fairly low noise (moddable even moreso) and switching power, plus it's a fairly recent/supported design.

Reactions: fohdeesha

dswartz

Jul 14, 2011
My 7250-48P pulls around 55W with a few PoE cams attached.

I'm still convinced the 7250 is THE best L3-10G switch for homelab use - considering low power draw, fairly low noise (moddable even moreso) and switching power, plus it's a fairly recent/supported design.
I have 2 stacked 7250-24 (not poe since I have no need for that.) But I agree, low power draw, and super-quiet!

noduck

Sep 12, 2020
I'm looking to replace a 7150-c12p; I need more ports, both 1G and 10G.

For my needs, 6450-24p seems to match. Should I be concerned that firmware is limited to 8.0.30 while 7x50 is 8.0.90 and up? 8.0.30 revisions have still been released since EOL.
  • I already have a 7250-24p, and it is generally nice (mostly quiet after fan mod), but a bit higher power draw and heat than I would like (48W idle).
  • 7150-24p would be ideal, but (as mentioned above) there are none available for a reasonable price (one sold for $335 recently, which would have been okay; but most are $500 and up; idle power 32W).
  • 6450-24p has and idle power comparable to 7150-c12p (21W).

LodeRunner

Apr 27, 2019
I'm looking to replace a 7150-c12p; I need more ports, both 1G and 10G.

For my needs, 6450-24p seems to match. Should I be concerned that firmware is limited to 8.0.30 while 7x50 is 8.0.90 and up? 8.0.30 revisions have still been released since EOL.
  • I already have a 7250-24p, and it is generally nice (mostly quiet after fan mod), but a bit higher power draw and heat than I would like (48W idle).
  • 7150-24p would be ideal, but (as mentioned above) there are none available for a reasonable price (one sold for $335 recently, which would have been okay; but most are $500 and up; idle power 32W).
  • 6450-24p has and idle power comparable to 7150-c12p (21W).
Edit: I remembered wrongly, per post below.
I may be remembering wrongly, but the 7250 may also have a command for a silent mode which restricts the PoE max output and turns off the fans?

If you think you might go beyond 4x10G, then the 7250 is the correct answer.

Reactions: EngChiSTH

DavidB

Aug 31, 2018
anyone else has a 7250 (non-POE) that idles around 80 degrees? trying to figure out if this is normal for a 7250, I got it unused NIB but even with fan running the temps seem a bit toasty

Reactions: WampaCow

cap

Sep 20, 2021
California
So much thanks to @nlj for the awesome post contributing to the fan swap knowledge base for the Brocade switches. My new 7250-24 got the Sanyo Denki 109P0412B3013 on the chassis and the Sunon MF60101V1-1000U-G99 on the ASIC. I added both fans at the same time so I don't have information about their separate effects. The sound is significantly quieter now, and there was an impressive drop in temperature. Here's a picture via LibreNMS. Before and after.

brocade_fan_mod_graph_2.jpg

Last edited:

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Has anyone tried one of those 4-pin "fan simulators" from ebay, even if you had to jumper the pins to match this? They are cheap enough that I might try one and run 3x Noctuas off the remaining 2 headers
This should work. Ive used these before for a different use case. you may need to get ones that match the fake rpms of the stock fans. Yes you will need to switch around the pins

atb

Sep 7, 2021
This should work. Ive used these before for a different use case. you may need to get ones that match the fake rpms of the stock fans. Yes you will need to switch around the pins
The first of two distinct ones I ordered off eBay should arrive this week so I'll report back. I do need to find some jumpers though if it needs a re-pin

vb543

Oct 12, 2021
Hello! Picked up two 6610 switches on eBay after finding this awesome thread. I have them setup in a stack, but I'm having a hard time activating the licenses on the second unit. I've tried directly consoling to it and running the set serial commands, but no matter what the licenses show as invalid on the second switch in the stack. The real goal is to be able to use the 10G ports on the second switch in the stack. Any suggestions? Thanks!

Vesalius

Nov 25, 2019
Hello! Picked up two 6610 switches on eBay after finding this awesome thread. I have them setup in a stack, but I'm having a hard time activating the licenses on the second unit. I've tried directly consoling to it and running the set serial commands, but no matter what the licenses show as invalid on the second switch in the stack. The real goal is to be able to use the 10G ports on the second switch in the stack. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Check out the back forth between fodeesha and another member start around page 305 having issues getting licenses going on a stack of 6450’s to see if any of that applies to you. One those messages linked below to give you a head start.

vb543

Oct 12, 2021
Check out the back forth between fodeesha and another member start around page 305 having issues getting licenses going on a stack of 6450’s to see if any of that applies to you. One those messages linked below to give you a head start.

Thanks! Although I could have sworn I was licensed before stacking --- deleting the stack, licensing the second switch, and then re-creating the stack did the trick!

1.44PB

Oct 13, 2021
Hi all. Sorry if this has already been asked.
Is it possible with the 6450-48 to disconnect half of the Ethernet ports and basically make it a 6450-24, with it's lower power usage?

Reactions: noduck