LSI RAID Controller and HBA Complete Listing Plus OEM Models

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
As long as you have at least a little airflow over the card's heatsink, it will be perfectly happy. The only real benefit of going with the newer card would be for adding a NAND array at some point in the future and using pcie 3 :)

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
As long as you have at least a little airflow over the card's heatsink, it will be perfectly happy. The only real benefit of going with the newer card would be for adding a NAND array at some point in the future and using pcie 3 :)
Ok then. I'm sold on a 2008!

Any recommendation on a specific 2008-based card? Perhaps the Dell H310?

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021

pricklypunter

Nov 10, 2015
Canada
When does vertical vs. horizontal SAS plug orientation come into play anyway?
When the card is installed in a low height enclosure...say a 2U high rack case for example. The bend required on the cable in order not to foul the lid, right as it exits the card, is way tighter than you would want. It's therefore better to take it from the back of the card instead. Same goes for mounting the card in a riser, where the cable is likely to foul something else entirely right beside it, like a fan or other heatsink etc. All that said, sometimes it's just neater to train your cables that way :)

kevindd992002

Oct 4, 2021
When the card is installed in a low height enclosure...say a 2U high rack case for example. The bend required on the cable in order not to foul the lid, right as it exits the card, is way tighter than you would want. It's therefore better to take it from the back of the card instead. Same goes for mounting the card in a riser, where the cable is likely to foul something else entirely right beside it, like a fan or other heatsink etc. All that said, sometimes it's just neater to train your cables that way :)
I see. And if I understand you correctly, the horizontal orientation is better for the use cases you mentioned above?

Jensen567

Apr 24, 2022
Working on getting a new array setup on a Fujitsu EP420i (9361-8i variant), and have a question about cachecade.

I have 6x 16TB drives, then 2x 512GB Samsung 840 PRO drives that I want to use in RAID 0 as cache for the RAID6 array. Problem is the option is greyed out in the MegaRAID Storage Manager software. In the advanced software features I only see Fastpath, RAID5, and RAID6 options, no cachecade.

According to Fujitsu documentation it should be supported free of charge, but I flashed the card with the latest 9361 firmware, so wondering if that was a mistake.

Is there a way to get cachecade functionality working from here? I would flash Fujitsu firmware back onto the card to see if that works, but I can't seem to find it anywhere. Any suggestions? My old 9286CV-8eCC used cachecade with some 128GB Samsung 830 PRO drives on top of my 6x 4TB array for years and that worked great, was hoping the new card could do the same, just 4x bigger on all the drives. I can go back to the 9286, but running the cables back into the case was a pain since my drives are internal.20220517_190209~2.jpg

Bzzz

Jul 14, 2018
I'm amazed we've entered the age of people running 100TB arrays at home while screenshotting with their phones...

https://www.primeline-solutions.com...ade-pro-2-0-software-lsi00290-l5-25188-04.pdf says 512GB max capacity, who knows if that is still a limit. Bet you can spend hard cash to enable more :) Have you checked the proper installation of the physical dongle?
Plus: There's no Samsung 830 "Pro", since that was the only model back then.

Jensen567

Apr 24, 2022
I'm amazed we've entered the age of people running 100TB arrays at home while screenshotting with their phones...

https://www.primeline-solutions.com...ade-pro-2-0-software-lsi00290-l5-25188-04.pdf says 512GB max capacity, who knows if that is still a limit. Bet you can spend hard cash to enable more :) Have you checked the proper installation of the physical dongle?
Plus: There's no Samsung 830 "Pro", since that was the only model back then.
Heh, I post from the phone, so just faster than using snipping tool or similar.

EP420i has no physical dongle, says it is supported free of charge by the controller firmware in the datasheet, which is why I suspect flashing the 9361 firmware is what is causing the issues. Fujitsu's support website doesn't list the firmware for the EP420i from what I can find.

The 512GB limit would honestly be fine, but it won't let me setup any CacheCade configurations at all. Guessing because of the licensing issue, so that is likely what I need to resolve.

Good point on the old 830s, they were the very first SSDs I ever bought back around 2012. Still going strong. Once I officially retire them from cache duty they will just become flash drives.

Jensen567

Apr 24, 2022
I managed to find the Fujitsu firmware. Further reading pointed me to PRIMERGY servers, took me a few tries going through the product selector, but the BX400 S1 series, 2560 M2 does have it in there. Direct link for anyone else that might end up with an EP420i and want OEM Fujitsu firmware.

Will give that a flash tomorrow and report back if CacheCade is activated.

Jensen567

Apr 24, 2022
Tried out the Fujitsu firmware, same situation, does not show CacheCade in the advanved software options and cannot create an SSD cache.

I have an LSI00290 key, but this card has no spot for one since it is supposed to be enabled by default from what I can see in the documentation.

Going to edit this one to add more info. Found some 30 day trial activation keys, tried them and those worked. Any suggestions for enabling the feature permanently without calling up broadcom to pay for a permanent key since the card should have it?

Also, I took real screenshots this time.

Trial Key CacheCade.PNG

Cache Working.PNG

Last edited:

mobilenvidia

Sep 25, 2011
New Zealand
Added:
SAS3216
SAS3224
SAS3408
SAS3416
SAS3508
SAS3516
SAS3616W
SAS3808
SAS3816
SAS3908
SAS3916
SAS4016
SAS4024
SAS4116
SAS4124

Rearranged Info/Batteries and Expander to get the above in
Probably some booboos but after a few hours can no longer see trees through the forest :)

Update on update, updated:
Dell Perc H7xx
Supermicro Raid/HBA cards
Supermicro Motherboards
Lenovo Cards

Last edited:
Reactions: Sleyk and poto

kruuth

Jul 4, 2022
Hey there everybody. Please excuse me if this isn't the right thread, but I think I need to upgrade or replace my Supermicro AOC-SAS2LP-H8iR. I've been happy with it but alas driver issues have begun causing me some issues. I'd like to know what a good successor to this card would be. If there's a card that would be compatible with this I'd love it. I was checking on eBay and I am seeing some of the 9400-8i cards coming in under $200 and that's about my limit. Would that work?