(US) 90 dollar Wyse 5070 Thin client/mini-server?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

BoredSysadmin

Not affiliated with Maxell
Mar 2, 2019
have you been able to pass gig speeds, and use vlans without any strange issues?
Not yet. Since the onboard ethernet is Realtek, I figure I'd use both LAN/WAN ports out of Broadcom card. I'll test later and update this post.

Reactions: Samir

heromode

May 25, 2020
Hello, i just ordered a Wyse 5070 Extended version after researching the market for thin clients, this thread was very helpful in making the decision.

I know i paid a premium to the other popular thin clients, but the Wyse extended version is rare here in Europe, it's probably the best looking thin client out there, and it has certain features, like the intel 605 graphics, 3 displayports, and a pcie slot that gives it a better resale value.

My Wyse is (hopefully) coming with 8GB RAM, a 64GB SSD, and a windows 10 license, and original PSU. I paid 179 EUR, after a back and forth with price offers from the listed 189 EUR price. As i'm writing this i see they're now sold out.

the reason i suddenly found myself shopping for a thin client with reasonable integrated graphics, and especially basic video encode offloading, is this video:

Proxmox vGPU Gaming Tutorial - Share Your GPU With Multiple VMs!

As for the networking, i've been contemplating a QNAP QXG-5G1T-111C or a QNAP QXG-10G1T, 5 or 10 GBit NBase-T cards based on the Marvell/Aquantia AQtion AQC107 chipset, connected through common household ethernet wall sockets and CAT cables through the walls to a Ipolex ASF-10G-T or similar hosted in a Brocade 6450-48P. Then set link speed to 2.5 or 5 gbit based on observed power consumption and thermals.

5Gbit ethernet is better suited for this system than full 10Gbit because of power and heat. So i just wanted to see if you have opinions about the Networking side, i know i could run a Connectx3 with SFP+ to 10gbit ethernet adapter modules etc, but i'm trying to put together a thin client with 2.5 or 5 gbit ethernet and still remain passively cooled.

cheers, mike

Reactions: Samir and abq

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Hello, i just ordered a Wyse 5070 Extended version after researching the market for thin clients, this thread was very helpful in making the decision.

I know i paid a premium to the other popular thin clients, but the Wyse extended version is rare here in Europe, it's probably the best looking thin client out there, and it has certain features, like the intel 605 graphics, 3 displayports, and a pcie slot that gives it a better resale value.

My Wyse is (hopefully) coming with 8GB RAM, a 64GB SSD, and a windows 10 license, and original PSU. I paid 179 EUR, after a back and forth with price offers from the listed 189 EUR price. As i'm writing this i see they're now sold out.

the reason i suddenly found myself shopping for a thin client with reasonable integrated graphics, and especially basic video encode offloading, is this video:

Proxmox vGPU Gaming Tutorial - Share Your GPU With Multiple VMs!

As for the networking, i've been contemplating a QNAP QXG-5G1T-111C or a QNAP QXG-10G1T, 5 or 10 GBit NBase-T cards based on the Marvell/Aquantia AQtion AQC107 chipset, connected through common household ethernet wall sockets and CAT cables through the walls to a Ipolex ASF-10G-T or similar hosted in a Brocade 6450-48P. Then set link speed to 2.5 or 5 gbit based on observed power consumption and thermals.

5Gbit ethernet is better suited for this system than full 10Gbit because of power and heat. So i just wanted to see if you have opinions about the Networking side, i know i could run a Connectx3 with SFP+ to 10gbit ethernet adapter modules etc, but i'm trying to put together a thin client with 2.5 or 5 gbit ethernet and still remain passively cooled.

cheers, mike
Do keep in mind that:

a) Intel gvt-g does not work the same way as nVidia's GPU virtualization (you certainly don't have to fool the OS into thinking that you have a different card or run older drivers to make it work)

b) The UHD605 has only 80% of the performance of its UHD620 cousin, which itself has a fraction of the raw performance of, say, an AMD Vega 8 off a standard AMD APU. It's barely ahead of a Vega 3 off an Athlon Silver. Even for transcoding you might run into latency/throughput issues when you partition out the vGPU.

c) Whether you can do gvt-g is dependent on how the Dell Wyse BIOS implements SRIOV/vt-d. I don't have the "extended" with the open-ended PCIex4 slot so I can't exactly test/document it (I don't have the budget to test a Wyse 5070 "fat" until later in the year - plus I already have a pair of Cisco Moderro IEP clients with similar Core i3s with similar features) - @yrxuthst said he tested it with a Solarflare 7-series and it worked to a limited extent. The challenge here is to figure out whether the firmware/BIOS gives you enough resources to do it.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Do keep in mind that:

a) Intel gvt-g does not work the same way as nVidia's GPU virtualization (you certainly don't have to fool the OS into thinking that you have a different card or run older drivers to make it work)

b) The UHD605 has only 80% of the performance of its UHD620 cousin, which itself has a fraction of the raw performance of, say, an AMD Vega 8 off a standard AMD APU. It's barely ahead of a Vega 3 off an Athlon Silver. Even for transcoding you might run into latency/throughput issues when you partition out the vGPU.

c) Whether you can do gvt-g is dependent on how the Dell Wyse BIOS implements SRIOV/vt-d. I don't have the "extended" with the open-ended PCIex4 slot so I can't exactly test/document it (I don't have the budget to test a Wyse 5070 "fat" until later in the year - plus I already have a pair of Cisco Moderro IEP clients with similar Core i3s with similar features) - @yrxuthst said he tested it with a Solarflare 7-series and it worked to a limited extent. The challenge here is to figure out whether the firmware/BIOS gives you enough resources to do it.
Oh, i'm not looking to share the 605 graphic chip, i'm looking to access shared nvidia graphics cards over the network using the wyse as just a normal thin client. In the end of that vid he uses Parsec on windows to access the shared nvidia card, and i understand there are similar open source solutions for linux as well. I haven't studied or tried to implement this yet, but it's my understanding that at least in Windows i should be able to offload some of the stream decoding. But i might be wrong, just looking forward to trying this..

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Oh, i'm not looking to share the 605 graphic chip, i'm looking to access shared nvidia graphics cards over the network using the wyse as just a normal thin client. In the end of that vid he uses Parsec on windows to access the shared nvidia card, and i understand there are similar open source solutions for linux as well. I haven't studied or tried to implement this yet, but it's my understanding that at least in Windows i should be able to offload some of the stream decoding. But i might be wrong, just looking forward to trying this..
Oh wait. You are using it actually as a thin client, not a hypervisor - Okay, that's totally different then. Did you look for something more Euromarket friendly like Igel thin clients? The UD7 is a pretty good unit but I am not sure if the Ryzen R1605 version is available in the secondary market yet...

My entire stance on the nVidia vGPU partitioning is that it's expensive (the GPUs are $$$, you need the Quadro/GRID or its Geforce counterpart, the GPU eats up tons of power, and you have to pay licensing), and if you want to put in patches to make it work for free, it's a bit hacky. I kinda prefer Intel's gvt-g approach, but Intel integrated graphics are..well, not the best (maybe Xe graphics/Ponte Vecchio will change that?).
AMD's MxGPU is not that well supported (do they even have a card that works with MxGPU and RDNA?). You figure that after 6+ years of work vGPU partitioning would have been either ubiquitous or well understood like virtual functions on SRIOV network cards...

Last edited:
Reactions: heromode and Samir

heromode

May 25, 2020
Oh wait. You are using it actually as a thin client, not a hypervisor - Okay, that's totally different then. Did you look for something more Euromarket friendly like Igel thin clients? The UD7 is a pretty good unit but I am not sure if the Ryzen R1605 version is available in the secondary market yet...

My entire stance on the nVidia vGPU partitioning is that it's expensive (the GPUs are $$$, you need the Quadro/GRID or its Geforce counterpart, the GPU eats up tons of power, and you have to pay licensing), and if you want to put in patches to make it work for free, it's a bit hacky. I kinda prefer Intel's gvt-g approach, but Intel integrated graphics are..well, not the best (maybe Xe graphics/Ponte Vecchio?), and AMD's MxGPU is not that well supported (do they even a card one that works with MxGPU and RDNA?). You figure that after 6+ years of work vGPU partitioning would have been either ubiquitous or well understood like virtual functions on network cards...
All valid points, my main plan is to stop being a slave to the maximum lenght of a displayport cable., so i wanna have a single passive thin client (Wyse 5070) in living room, with which i can drive 3 screens, and have a 2.5 or 10 gb ethernet to the "big boxes" that are out of sight in the computer room. use proxmox vGPU to stream normal 2D desktops froma cheap second hand Nvidia quadro GPU on the server (maybe a 2GB quadro split into 4x512MB slices, and then stream games from maybe 2 used Nvidia 2060's or whatever, with 6GB of RAM each, streamed from the gaming box, so 2 players can play individual games simultaneously, all through the tiny and silent Wyse client.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
I just read in the Brocade thread that my ICX6450-48P will not be able to use 2.5 or 5bgit over a NBase-T adapter such as this:

Ipolex ASF-10G-T and SFP-10G-T-S Review 10Gbase-T and Nbase-T Adapter

(I was hoping to run a 5, or 2.5gbit ethernet link on the Wyse to save money on a cheap 2.5 or 5 gbit NIC and reduce the power consumption and heat)

This leaves me with 2 options, buy a 2.5/5 GBase-t switch with a 10GB port for linking with the brocade, or run either a QNAP QXG-10G1T, or any old sfp+ card like a mellanox, with a SFP+ to NBase-T adapter which use a ton of power and run hot..

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
So i received the Wyse 5070 Extended awhile ago, a few notes and questions so far:

It came with 2 Ethernet interfaces, both Realtek. Below the rare first picture of the infamous official Dell realtek ethernet card in this thread:

wyse_5070_2ndNIC.png

2nd_eth_port.png

Two Screenshots from Bios version 1.2.4 regarding bios downgrade and recovery, as i didn't notice anyone mentioning these setting in the thread:

bios_downgrade.png

bios_recovery.png

The included Apacer 64GB is kinda slow (Windows10 with write cache enabled)

CDM-Wyse-5070-64-GB4.png

No eMMc on this mobo.

Question: Anyone tried running a pcie SSD from the LAN/Wifi interface using something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/mPCIe-Adapter-Gen3-0-Mini-PCIe-Ribbon/dp/B085L3727D

Is that interface pcie2 or 3?

If nothing else i plan to install a faster SATA M.2 SSD, probably something from the recent STH article:
Six SSDs Compared Inexpensive M.2 SATA SSD Roundup

then ultimately my dream is to get a 10Gbe link working on this, either the Asus card or the Qnap card mentioned in my earlier post. Worst case scenario would be using both these realtek interfaces to run a 2Gbit link over LACP, but that would require an extra LACP capable switch with a 10Gbit uplink to my brocade ICX6450, and 2 ethernet cables attached to the wall socket. Alternatively run a cheap 2.5bgit card to a switch with 2.5gbit support plus a 10 gbit uplink.

Again, i'm looking to use this as a thin client with a 5 or 10 gbit ethernet link to a gaming server and a hypervisor server, and then stream the desktops and games. This would allow me to run 3 x 4K screens at 60Hz, play games and run high end desktops all on a single 10W thin client.

Last edited:

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
Question: Anyone tried running a pcie SSD from the LAN/Wifi interface using something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/mPCIe-Adapter-Gen3-0-Mini-PCIe-Ribbon/dp/B085L3727D

Is that interface pcie2 or 3?
You would need an adapter for a 2230 A+E key M.2 connection - it would give you 2xPCIe lanes. They do exist - the one that you linked to looks like mini PCIe, which would not fit. M.2 M key adapters (4x PCIe) are common too, but they would not fit in that slot. You would want is something like either of these:
As you can see from the first, it might require extra power connections depending on what you use in the slot. I have not tried those either.

There are rare NVME cards produced in A+E 2230 format - they seem to be mostly for industrial apps.

I checked both a Qualcomm Wifi and Intel Ethernet card hoping to find out the answer to your second question, but they both run at PCIe 1.1 transfer rate (2.5GT/s). That doesn't mean that the slot is capable of more.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Hi, thanks for reply

You would need an adapter for a 2230 A+E key M.2 connection - it would give you 2xPCIe lanes. They do exist - the one that you linked to looks like mini PCIe, which would not fit. M.2 M key adapters (4x PCIe) are common too, but they would not fit in that slot. You would want is something like either of these:
As you can see from the first, it might require extra power connections depending on what you use in the slot. I have not tried those either.

There are rare NVME cards produced in A+E 2230 format - they seem to be mostly for industrial apps.

I checked both a Qualcomm Wifi and Intel Ethernet card hoping to find out the answer to your second question, but they both run at PCIe 1.1 transfer rate (2.5GT/s). That doesn't mean that the slot is capable of more.
Yeah, thx for those links, here is yet another:
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32950530982.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40694c4dRO93kx

I agree the power requirement is probably the killer, even if you managed to run a pcie SSD over one of these, better to just buy a SATA M.2 SSD with decent iops instead, especially because the 10gbit network card's power requirement will be the biggest issue. Once my budget allows, i plan to buy a Qnap or asus cheap 10gbit adapter and test it, i know of the dispute whether a single pcie lane is full duplex or not, but to be honest, 10gbit in one direction is enough in this case.

https://www.marvell.com/content/dam...rnet-controllers-aqc107-108-product-brief.pdf

https://geizhals.eu/qnap-qxg-10g1t-a1846071.html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=eu&hloc=pl&hloc=uk4

https://geizhals.eu/asus-xg-c100c-9....html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=eu&hloc=pl&hloc=uk

i refuse to give up on my dream of streaming games and desktops over 10Gb ethernet to 3x 4K60 screens using a single 10W Wyse 5070!

cageek

Jun 22, 2018
i refuse to give up on my dream of streaming games and desktops over 10Gb ethernet to 3x 4K60 screens using a single 10W Wyse 5070!
They also make a A+E -> M key adapter that holds a 80mm NVME SSD perpendicular w/o power supply. The 80mm length holder looks kind of arbitrary, so you might be able to 3-d print a shorter replacement and close the case. Plenty of short M-key NVME.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Some notes on installing latest Debian 11 with non-free drivers and firmware on the Wyse 5070, to get all hardware functionality, especially hardware video decoding AND encoding support.

The information is scattered all around and a pain to find, but afaik the non-free firmware drivers add support for hardware video encoding, the free versions only support hardware video decoding (read somewhere, but i might be wrong)

Secureboot is working (make sure it's enabled in bios)

- Use the Debian non-free installer: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/...md64/iso-cd/firmware-11.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso

I also had a FAT formatted USB stick with the extra firmware plugged in, because for some reason the installer still complained about realtek ethernet drivers using the non-free installer alone: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/stable/current/firmware.zip

after Debian is installed, add all the non-free firmware and drivers: (make sure non-free repos are enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list)

Code:
apt install firmware-intel-sound firmware-linux firmware-realtek intel-media-va-driver-non-free

update-initramfs -u
make sure the firmware-linux - metapackage pulls both the free and non-free drivers:

Code:
# apt search firmware-linux
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
firmware-linux/stable,now 20210315-3 all [installed]
  Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel (metapackage)

firmware-linux-free/stable,now 20200122-1 all [installed,automatic]
  Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel

firmware-linux-nonfree/stable,now 20210315-3 all [installed,automatic]
optionally:

Code:
apt install fwupd fwupd-doc vainfo vdpauinfo
inxi output (some info censored)

Code:
# inxi -F
System:    Host: wyse-5070 Kernel: 5.10.0-8-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Console: tty 0 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Wyse 5070 Extended Thin Client v: N/A serial: XXXXXXX
           Mobo: Dell model: 0DVNTK v: A00 serial: /XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/ UEFI: Dell v: 1.12.0 date: 07/09/2021
CPU:       Info: Quad Core model: Intel Pentium Silver J5005 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 4 MiB
           Speed: 780 MHz min/max: 800/2800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 780 2: 875 3: 878 4: 899
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 605] driver: i915 v: kernel
           Display: server: No display server data found. Headless machine? tty: 176x44
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-8-amd64
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
           IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: XXXXXXXXXXXX
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 59.63 GiB used: 2.06 GiB (3.5%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: 64GB SATA Flash Drive size: 59.63 GiB
Partition: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Swap:      Alert: No Swap data was found.
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0 C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 130 Uptime: 42m Memory: 7.59 GiB used: 434.6 MiB (5.6%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Shell: Bash
           inxi: 3.3.01
some sources:
HardwareVideoAcceleration - Debian Wiki

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/firmware
"W: Possible missing firmware for module i915_bpo" when updating initramfs
i915 - kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git - Repository of firmware blobs for use with the Linux kernel

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Hi, thanks for reply

Yeah, thx for those links, here is yet another:
https://aliexpress.ru/item/32950530982.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.40694c4dRO93kx

I agree the power requirement is probably the killer, even if you managed to run a pcie SSD over one of these, better to just buy a SATA M.2 SSD with decent iops instead, especially because the 10gbit network card's power requirement will be the biggest issue. Once my budget allows, i plan to buy a Qnap or asus cheap 10gbit adapter and test it, i know of the dispute whether a single pcie lane is full duplex or not, but to be honest, 10gbit in one direction is enough in this case.

https://www.marvell.com/content/dam...rnet-controllers-aqc107-108-product-brief.pdf

QNAP QXG-10G1T ab € 90,50 (2021) | Preisvergleich geizhals.eu EU4

https://geizhals.eu/asus-xg-c100c-9....html?hloc=at&hloc=de&hloc=eu&hloc=pl&hloc=uk

You can probably do it using a SolarFlare SFN-5152 single-port card - those only require PCIe 2.0x4 (which uses up that PCIe slot), they run fairly cool (~6w), and as long as you are okay with the Intel onboard GPU handling the rendering, it should work just fine.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
You can probably do it using a SolarFlare SFN-5152 single-port card - those only require PCIe 2.0x4 (which uses up that PCIe slot), they run fairly cool (~6w), and as long as you are okay with the Intel onboard GPU handling the rendering, it should work just fine.
Yes, SFP+ cards are under consideration, the issue is i need to use a SFP+ to 10Gbase-T module, which use a ton of power and run hot.

https://www.servethehome.com/sfp-to-10gbase-t-adapter-module-buyers-guide/

my apartement has standard RJ45 wall sockets that run into a switchboard, i want to use that to link to the switch in another room.

jbrukardt

Feb 4, 2016
Some notes on installing latest Debian 11 with non-free drivers and firmware on the Wyse 5070, to get all hardware functionality, especially hardware video decoding AND encoding support.

The information is scattered all around and a pain to find, but afaik the non-free firmware drivers add support for hardware video encoding, the free versions only support hardware video decoding (read somewhere, but i might be wrong)

Secureboot is working (make sure it's enabled in bios)

- Use the Debian non-free installer: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/...md64/iso-cd/firmware-11.0.0-amd64-netinst.iso

I also had a FAT formatted USB stick with the extra firmware plugged in, because for some reason the installer still complained about realtek ethernet drivers using the non-free installer alone: https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/firmware/stable/current/firmware.zip

after Debian is installed, add all the non-free firmware and drivers: (make sure non-free repos are enabled in /etc/apt/sources.list)

Code:
apt install firmware-intel-sound firmware-linux firmware-realtek intel-media-va-driver-non-free

update-initramfs -u
make sure the firmware-linux - metapackage pulls both the free and non-free drivers:

Code:
# apt search firmware-linux
Sorting... Done
Full Text Search... Done
firmware-linux/stable,now 20210315-3 all [installed]

firmware-linux-free/stable,now 20200122-1 all [installed,automatic]
  Binary firmware for various drivers in the Linux kernel

firmware-linux-nonfree/stable,now 20210315-3 all [installed,automatic]
optionally:

Code:
apt install fwupd fwupd-doc vainfo vdpauinfo
inxi output (some info censored)

Code:
# inxi -F
System:    Host: wyse-5070 Kernel: 5.10.0-8-amd64 x86_64 bits: 64 Console: tty 0 Distro: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
Machine:   Type: Desktop System: Dell product: Wyse 5070 Extended Thin Client v: N/A serial: XXXXXXX
           Mobo: Dell model: 0DVNTK v: A00 serial: /XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX/ UEFI: Dell v: 1.12.0 date: 07/09/2021
CPU:       Info: Quad Core model: Intel Pentium Silver J5005 bits: 64 type: MCP L2 cache: 4 MiB
           Speed: 780 MHz min/max: 800/2800 MHz Core speeds (MHz): 1: 780 2: 875 3: 878 4: 899
Graphics:  Device-1: Intel GeminiLake [UHD Graphics 605] driver: i915 v: kernel
           Display: server: No display server data found. Headless machine? tty: 176x44
           Message: Advanced graphics data unavailable in console for root.
Audio:     Device-1: Intel Celeron/Pentium Silver Processor High Definition Audio driver: snd_hda_intel
           Sound Server: ALSA v: k5.10.0-8-amd64
Network:   Device-1: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
           IF: enp1s0 state: up speed: 1000 Mbps duplex: full mac: XXXXXXXXXXXX
           Device-2: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet driver: r8169
           IF: enp2s0 state: down mac: XXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Drives:    Local Storage: total: 59.63 GiB used: 2.06 GiB (3.5%)
           ID-1: /dev/sda model: 64GB SATA Flash Drive size: 59.63 GiB
Partition: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Swap:      Alert: No Swap data was found.
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 36.0 C mobo: N/A
           Fan Speeds (RPM): N/A
Info:      Processes: 130 Uptime: 42m Memory: 7.59 GiB used: 434.6 MiB (5.6%) Init: systemd runlevel: 5 Shell: Bash
           inxi: 3.3.01
some sources:
HardwareVideoAcceleration - Debian Wiki

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/downloads/firmware
"W: Possible missing firmware for module i915_bpo" when updating initramfs
i915 - kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git - Repository of firmware blobs for use with the Linux kernel
for reference, heres what you need to add to your /etc/sources/sources.list to get the non-free repositories if you've already installed bullseye

deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free​
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye main contrib non-free​
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free​
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian-security/ bullseye-security main contrib non-free​
deb http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free​
deb-src http://deb.debian.org/debian bullseye-updates main contrib non-free​

WANg

Jun 10, 2018
New York, NY
Yes, SFP+ cards are under consideration, the issue is i need to use a SFP+ to 10Gbase-T module, which use a ton of power and run hot.

https://www.servethehome.com/sfp-to-10gbase-t-adapter-module-buyers-guide/

my apartement has standard RJ45 wall sockets that run into a switchboard, i want to use that to link to the switch in another room.
It's going into a thin client, so airflow will always be a problem. However, the Solarflare is roughly 4-5 watts (roughly the same as the i350-T4v2 cards found in pfsense builds) , and the SFP to 10GbE module all run at around 3 watts. Even with the PCIe slot orientation on the 5070 "fat" it'll be fine - looking at roughly 8-9 watts of heat channeled onto the motherboard (near the M2 SATA SSD slot). You might be able to slap in a USB powered fan, or put something in (metal brackets) to wick away that heat.

Last edited:

heromode

May 25, 2020
It's going into a thin client, so airflow will always be a problem. However, the Solarflare is roughly 4-5 watts (roughly the same as the i350-T4v2 cards found in pfsense builds) , and the SFP to 10GbE module all run at around 3 watts. Even with the PCIe slot orientation on the 5070 "fat" it'll fine - looking at roughly 8-9 watts of heat channeled onto the motherboard (near the M2 SATA SSD slot). You might be able to slap in a USB powered fan, or put something in (metal brackets) to wick away that heat.
Extended version does have a small CPU fan, so there is at least some airflow. Another thing to note is the 10Gbit link is going to be mostly idle since this is just a home desktop.

Just spent an hour trying to find any reference to power consumption of a Marvell/Aquantia AQtion AQC107 - based card, NO luck. Since there is no SFP+ to 10GbE conversion, one could assume it uses less power. Then again, even a solarflare card with a adapter module would be idle most of the time, the issue really is how hot that combo runs as idle and how hot it gets with bursts of transmissions.

8 Watts combined with the adapter module seems very manageable though. I'm in no hurry with this, so i'll be doing lots of research still trying to find the most ideal 10gbit card for this system.

heromode

May 25, 2020
Quick sidenote, to run a hdparm security-erase-enhanced on an SSD in the Wyse, this is what i had to do to get the SSD in a not locked and not frozen state:

on a debian live USB:
Code:
#hdparm -I /dev/sda
will probably show:
Code:
Security:
        Master password revision code = 49047
                supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
                frozen
        not     expired: security count
                supported: enhanced erase
provided you are not using bios HDD encryption. I read several guides, some of which recommended enabling HDD encryption in BIOS, but at prompt pressing ESC instead of typing the password, and other tricks, none worked. Also tried suspending the Wyse using pm-tools, and it failed to wake up from that. But this worked:
Code:
#echo -n mem > /sys/power/state
and then waking up again by pressing power button, resulting in:
Code:
#hdparm -I /dev/sda

Security:
        Master password revision code = 49047
                supported
        not     enabled
        not     locked
        not     frozen
        not     expired: security count
                supported: enhanced erase
then i can run:
Code:
#hdparm --user-master u --security-set-pass [randomly generated pass] /dev/sda
#time hdparm --user-master u --security-mode m --security-erase-enhanced [randomly generated pass] /dev/sda
#hdparm --user-master m --security-set-pass [randomly generated pass] /dev/sda
#time hdparm --user-master m --security-mode m --security-erase-enhanced [randomly generated pass] /dev/sda
and finally:
Code:
#blkdiscard -vz /dev/sda
i know of no better way to zero out a SSD in linux.

Last edited:
Reactions: abq and Samir

heromode

May 25, 2020
It's going into a thin client, so airflow will always be a problem. However, the Solarflare is roughly 4-5 watts (roughly the same as the i350-T4v2 cards found in pfsense builds) , and the SFP to 10GbE module all run at around 3 watts. Even with the PCIe slot orientation on the 5070 "fat" it'll fine - looking at roughly 8-9 watts of heat channeled onto the motherboard (near the M2 SATA SSD slot). You might be able to slap in a USB powered fan, or put something in (metal brackets) to wick away that heat.
One thing to note, the entire top side of the Wyse is perforated, so basically you could just strap a 140mm fan on the outside with rubberbands or something. That should solve all cooling issues :)