5019D-FN8TP-X11SDV-4C-TP8F New in Box $500

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

microserf

May 20, 2019
The seller has removed the original listing and created two new ones.

Same configuration as original post, $550 + shipping, offers accepted:

With 32GB RAM included, $668 + shipping, offers accepted:

Reactions: altmind and Patrick

Geran

Oct 25, 2016
The seller has removed the original listing and created two new ones.

Same configuration as original post, $550 + shipping, offers accepted:

With 32GB RAM included, $668 + shipping, offers accepted:
This definitely convinced me to pass on this. I really only wanted the motherboard and nothing else for a NAS build but for that price, I can get is cheaper by itself.

BlueFox

Legendary Member Spam Hunter Extraordinaire
Oct 26, 2015
Supermicro does have a big warning on the download page about that:
WARNING!
Please do not download / upgrade the Firmware UNLESS your system has a firmware-related issue. Flashing the wrong firmware can cause irreparable damage to the system.

In no event shall Supermicro be liable for direct, indirect, special, incidental, or consequential damages arising from a firmware update.

cmmh

Feb 26, 2021
Supermicro does have a big warning on the download page about that:
True enough, but I'm sure that at least one or two security vulnerabilities were addressed. It is unfortunate that they don't provide a changelog

amalurk

Dec 16, 2016
EDIT: SOLVED, apparently a 2242 m.2 NVME cannot go in the JMD2 slot even though it fits and the manual says it does PCI3x2 and it will prevent any sign of power on when present.

So I got my boot drive finally and plugged the system in for the first time and pressed the power button and nothing. No lights, no fans, no electrical buzz, nothing. Tried more than 1 power cord and more than 1 outlet/circuit. Appears to be completed DOA. :(. There is nothing active at all. I expected before pressing power button lights on the IPMI port would come on with just power and ethernet cable because my similar C3000 system does.

CMOS battery only 2.25 volts, replaced with new that tests 3v, still nothing. Anything I am missing?

Last edited:

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
Mine arrived this morning. Inserted some memory, Upgraded BMC, Upgraded BIOS. Added some drives, Installed Proxmox to test it out before it becomes my HA-primary router. My A1SRI-2758F will be relegated to HA secondary router.

John Burns

Jul 12, 2016
Iowa, USA
Mine arrived today as well. i should have read the manual a little closer on the sata dom port. I thought it was powered, but ended up needing to use a dom with a power cable.

Reactions: altmind

cmmh

Feb 26, 2021
True enough, but I'm sure that at least one or two security vulnerabilities were addressed. It is unfortunate that they don't provide a changelog
I was able to resolve the BMC upgrade problems and install Proxmox via USB stick. No luck getting the SMB "virtual media" working using a Linux samba server so far, but that isn't a deal-killer for my app. Wish it supported browser-based virtual media like some other solutions though.

oldfett

Jul 20, 2016
Mine arrived today as well. i should have read the manual a little closer on the sata dom port. I thought it was powered, but ended up needing to use a dom with a power cable.
I'm a little confused, my orange/yellow port is powered and the manual does indicate it supports superdoms?

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I'm a little confused, my orange/yellow port is powered and the manual does indicate it supports superdoms?
there's two types of inline power to satadom's. SM superdom uses one (one pin on each side of the connector: gnd, pwr). The other (older) is actually in the connector. Delock has a nice chart.

edit:

btw, if you have not read it in the manual, well it looks like using the superdom port drops x1 lanes from the pcie x4 m.2

edit 2:

not sure what I was thinking, I was working on an X10SDV yesterday which does drop a lane for superdom. that is not the case with the X11SDV.

Last edited:

cbarbie

Mar 10, 2011
US-VA
I was going to replace the fans, but I set the fan mode to "Set Fan to PUE2 (Power Utilization Effectiveness) Speed" and it reduced the fan noise enough for me. That setting dropped the fan speeds by 1/2. Granted it was not silent.

Reactions: Patrick

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I tested with both SM superdoms and the Innodisk equivalent - both worked fine. I need to dig into the manual and specs on this a bit deeper. lots of interesting looking things on this motherboard.

@Patrick, +1 for a review!

Reactions: Patrick

itronin

Nov 24, 2018
Denver, Colorado
I just did a quick skim of the manual and reread of the spec sheet, the latter of which IMO glosses over the built in u.2 and its easy to miss the 12 sata ports that are available.

This motherboard is really quite flexible all around. Besides enough network ports to serve as a nice firewall/router (my use case purchase) , I think it also has plenty of options to make it the basis for a capable SMB storage server without a lot of effort.

12 SATA ports natively... or take 8 of those ports (2xMINI SAS-HD) and toggle them to offer a pair of u.2 nvmes, plus the x8 and x16 (bifurcation!)

other easily acquirable parts, -8 or -16 HBA, quad m.2 carrier, 32GB rdimms (easy to go to 128GB)

Opinion:
Is this board (just the board @450) cheaper than say fitting out a single socket E5 v4 board with equivalent functionality? no, probably not but you will have to source a bunch of add-on parts to get the same functionality and the board in this system is a lot newer.

edit -

whoops tabbed to save too soon.

I'm really impressed with this deal (for a firewall/router) the more I understand the capabilities in the motherboard.