ICX7150 for repair?

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

fohdeesha

Kaini Industries
Nov 20, 2016
fohdeesha.com
Reactions: mimino

TheCodeLife

Mar 29, 2019
One of the 3 switches I purchased seems to be killing power supplies. I replaced the original PSU with an SL Power PSU and it worked fine for several days with a ~28 watt POE load. When I unplugged the power, I couldn't get it to power on again. There were no lights and no indication of power at all on the switch. I then replaced the PSU with another SL Power PSU (I had an extra) and it started up seemingly with no problem. I had it on for about 18 hours with no POE load, 2 SFP+ modules installed, and 2 copper ports all on very low load. It was working well until I unplugged it and now I have the exact same issue where I can't get it to start up.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? The other 2 switches aren't giving me that issue, so I'm inclined to think it's this specific switch unless I managed to get multiple questionable PSUs.

alsenior

Member Member
Apr 19, 2016
Yeah i had the same issue with one of mine. I tripped the breaker to the circuit that the switch was on and it fried the psu. There nice switches but not if you have to keep swapping the psus every few months.

TheCodeLife

Mar 29, 2019
I'm glad to know I'm not alone at least. I still don't really understand why the switch would cause the PSU to fail when the power shuts off, but I'm no expert in EE.

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
There are a number of things that could cause failure at shutdown. It could be the SL Power PSU isn't designed for some transient the switch is feeding back into it that the OEM supply could handle. Or it could be there is some problem with one of the internal supplies or the PoE electronics and that's what killed the original PSU too. I'd have to hook a scope up and see what's going on. Mine is fine so far but it has only been power cycled a handful of times and isn't running any PoE load.

hrana

May 14, 2020
I have a 7150-24P that will not power on. Do the larger 7150 units have the same PSU?

tubs-ffm

Sep 1, 2013
Also link to the reddit post where @fohdeesha talks about power supply replacement Ruckus ICX 7150-C12P: what power supply goes into this? : homelab
regarding the icx7150-c12 power supplies, I've attempted to repair two. Both were listed as "dead psu / no lights". One started working fine after replacing the PSU (model and details in the reddit post linked above), the other one, the PSU took the board out with it when it died. board was visibly burnt in some spots, wouldn't boot with a new PSU either (psu went into overcurrent protection just being connected to it)
During search for a replacement PSU I found this thread. Does anybody know a source for the PSU of ICX 7250-24P?

epicurean

Sep 29, 2014

n17ikh

Jul 12, 2019
One of the 3 switches I purchased seems to be killing power supplies. I replaced the original PSU with an SL Power PSU and it worked fine for several days with a ~28 watt POE load. When I unplugged the power, I couldn't get it to power on again. There were no lights and no indication of power at all on the switch. I then replaced the PSU with another SL Power PSU (I had an extra) and it started up seemingly with no problem. I had it on for about 18 hours with no POE load, 2 SFP+ modules installed, and 2 copper ports all on very low load. It was working well until I unplugged it and now I have the exact same issue where I can't get it to start up.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? The other 2 switches aren't giving me that issue, so I'm inclined to think it's this specific switch unless I managed to get multiple questionable PSUs.
I just powered mine down for the first time since I moved it to my desk a year ago, and what do you know, it didn't power back on. No voltage out of the PSU. Nothing visible is smoked on the supply and the switch powers up on a bench supply; I'll have to tear into it further when I get time.

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
So, I just ran into this as well - one of my units with the replacement SL power supply just "died" after about a year of usage. I opened it up and the PSU has 0v on the output. No smells or other evidence of failure..

Riley

Skud

Jan 3, 2012
Has anyone had success with another PSU? The external brick idea would be cool - just need to find the correct plug and internal wiring..

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
wondering this as well - I just bought a 7150-c12 off of ebay that seems to also have a failed PSU (will test when it arrives). It looks like due to the pandemic, PSUs have gone up in cost significantly. Does anyone have any other recommended PSUs to use as a replacement? Has anyone used an external brick?

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Has anyone had success with another PSU? The external brick idea would be cool - just need to find the correct plug and internal wiring..
I had a 7150-C12 PSU die on me a while back -- original post here in the Brocade Mega-Thread. I replaced it with this unit from Digi-Key -- currently out-of-stock! I'm pretty sure I had to reverse the pins when I installed it. Digi-Key link here:

This PSU should work, too, and it's currently in-stock:

Both are priced over $100, so you may want to search eBay or elsewhere for these or similarly-rated PSUs if cost is concern.

Indecided

Sep 5, 2015
I've had 1 out of 3 die so far, even with replacement with a higher rated PSU. At idle with 0 POE devices, I see temps of ~70c, perhaps contributing to premature derating and maybe in the long run is probably why it's dying.

Two other units however are running at the same temperature ranges but still going strong. I wonder if it's an issue with the switch components drawing down on the PSU past the rated current, thus killing them?

If I didn't have a bunch of spares, I'd probably have went with the external PSU idea, or at this rate I'm thinking a small 4CM fan placed directly over the PSU might help prolong things.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
It looks like this PSU would fit, but I would have to cut the molex adapters. I would connect the AC molex (black to L and white to N) and on the DC side connect the 3 Black wires to the +V and the 3 White wires to the -V. Can someone verify this is correct and that this will fit within the switch?

MEAN WELL SC-150-54AD Bare AC Power Supply 54.4V 2.8A 150W (8 in-Stock) | eBay

Mean Well SC-150-54

AC-DC Enclosed battery charger; Output 54Vdc at 2.8A
Output Power (W)150
Output Voltage (V)54
Output Current (A)2.8
Width (mm)110
Height (mm)50
Depth (mm)199

Here are the specs of the PSU in the 7150-c12: G0966 150W UL CCC CE EAC-Open Frame Power Supply-Shenzhen Gospell Digital Technology Co.,Ltd.-Shenzhen Gospell Digital Technology Co.,Ltd.

Actually looking at the size comparison... looks like the Mean Well power supply might be a little long and high.... can probably remove some of the casing to make it fit? Not so sure now....

Attachments

Last edited:

hmartin

Sep 20, 2017
If your PoE needs are light, you might look into the MA-PWR-90WAC and MA-PWR-100WAC power supplies for Meraki equipment. They can usually be found quite inexpensively.

The UMEC UP1501D-54 is the 54V 150W PSU found inside the MS220-8P, but it's harder to find.

JoshDi

Jun 13, 2019
Im leaning towards the LB130S56K that I can get here for a decent price given the increases: LB130S56K, SL POWER ELECT, POWER SUPPLY | eBay

Can anyone confirm if the pins need to be reversed when using this SL Power Elect PSU? I dont believe they do from my review of the spec sheet but want to confirm so I dont fry the board. Thank you!

Here is the spec for this PSU: https://slpower.com/data/collateral/LBS130S56K.pdf

From the diagram, it looks like the pins for the AC in and DC in match the original PSU..... I am assuming the white wires are AC Load and DC V+ and the black wires are AC neutral and DC RTN? Or do I have this backwards and therefore need to reverse the pins?

Last edited:

Spearfoot

Apr 22, 2015
Im leaning towards the LB130S56K that I can get here for a decent price given the increases: LB130S56K, SL POWER ELECT, POWER SUPPLY | eBay

Can anyone confirm if the pins need to be reversed when using this SL Power Elect PSU? I dont believe they do from my review of the spec sheet but want to confirm so I dont fry the board. Thank you!

Here is the spec for this PSU: https://slpower.com/data/collateral/LBS130S56K.pdf

From the diagram, it looks like the pins for the AC in and DC in match the original PSU..... I am assuming the white wires are AC Load and DC V+ and the black wires are AC neutral and DC RTN? Or do I have this backwards and therefore need to reverse the pins?
I think the 130W LBS130S56K is under-rated for this application. When I researched this a year ago I found that the stock PSU delivers roughly 150W. And these tend to fail, so they're probably under-rated too.

That's why I picked a PSU (The XP Power GCS350PS56 linked above) that can deliver 200W even after derating for convection cooling.

Just my two cents... :)

Reactions: JoshDi

alsenior

Member Member
Apr 19, 2016
The LBS130S56K is what alot of us used to repair these and they have a high tendany of dying aswell. the XP power might be a good shout if it fits.