Radian RMS-200 $99/OBO

Notice: Page may contain affiliate links for which we may earn a small commission through services like Amazon Affiliates or Skimlinks.

zack$

Aug 16, 2018
Is there anything to know before I will buy that drive?
Does the work with an ESXi?
You should only consider using this as a SLOG, even though as @poots said this shows up as a "8gb NVMe block device".@

Why would you pay as much for a 8gb drive?

As a SLOG, it has unlimited writes, is fast, actively cooled and accessible via common nvme drivers on virtually every platform.

poots

Jul 12, 2018
I agree that it really is only useful as a SLOG device, which is exactly how I am using mine. The plastic cover needs some trimming to fit in a R720 but it's nothing a Dremel tool and a few minutes of careful trimming can't fix.

I can't imagine this is very useful in an ESX server because it's only 8GB.

ru me

Jun 2, 2018
Has any of you been able to get access to a manual? There also seem to be some utilities and according to the data sheet there seems to be an embedded management utility called DiaLog or so. What about firmware updates?

FlorianZ

Dec 10, 2019
Sorry, I initially forgot to add the link, but edited my reply immediately after. Let me know if you're still unable to see/access the link.

I am not the best person to ask, since I purchased this explicitly to play with and learn more about it. But based on the other comments in this thread it will present as a block device so you'll be able to store whatever you want on it. Having said that, IMHO it's way too expensive to be used that way. It's only 8 GB of storage, and there are way better/cheaper options out there on a $/GB/performance basis. I plan on using it as a SLOG, where anything beyond 10 GB is just a waste of capacity for my use case.

Your name or

Feb 18, 2020
Well I order one from some other seller. Hopefully it works.
I still use Qgis who is an Software for Creating my own Map from (Open) Data. For that I download A LOT (+200) different Dataset into QGis and the Software render in real Time an Map with my Values. I hope with the fast read and write speed loading Times decrease a lot. Now I have to wait ~15min to open some Files do to the immense Dataset.

Reactions: Samir

Markess

May 19, 2018
Northern California
I remember them being mentioned as a reputable seller offering good deals in other threads here.
I have had absolutely ZERO issues with them on quality, shipping and etc. But, I've had mixed success with Best Offers. Sometimes they'll take a (relatively) low offer, and sometimes not. Seems to me its more who is reviewing the offer than what the offer is on.

Reactions: Samir and FlorianZ

madbrain

Jan 5, 2019
The difference in IOPS between RAM and SSDs is MASSIVE.
Have you actually benchmarked it ?

On my 5820k I have DDR4-2666 RAM. That's rated for about 21GB/second.
I also have a RAID array of 8 x 1TB Samsung 860 SATA. Not MLC, mind you, but decent. All on a SAS2 PCIe 3.0 HBA.
Sustained through measured with Crystaldiskmark for that volume is about 4GB/second, both read and writes. Yes, gigabytes, not gigabits.
That volume is twice as fast as the NVMe boot drive, ADATA SX8200 Pro, which is about 2GB/s.

So yes, RAM in this case really is only a few times as fast as the SSD ...